Predictions and Ore Shortages

Maxnano

If the new and reworked planets and mining are more than a couple of months away, we are going to need an ore reseeding.

Thades Moon 1 is almost out of Chrome. only 2-3 % of times claimed ofc. but every tile is like swiss cheese. The worst part is that the ppl mining here seem to be trying to troll each other by leaving scraps of each node so it still shows on the scanner.

How bad is it for other resources elsewhere ?

1 hour ago, Maxnano said:

The worst part is that the ppl mining here seem to be trying to troll each other by leaving scraps of each node so it still shows on the scanner.

Dude. That’s not trolling, that’s strategically impeding your opponents.

Find one as near to others’ settlements as possible. That way you prevent your opponents from gathering higher tier stuff. The key is to find a pristine or loosely mined tile (just dig down a bit and then fill in your hole holding the alt key and you’ll poke through and be able to get a decent view of the current tile’s situation)...

in most cases, it will be just the T1 stuff that is gone. 

if it looks like only the surface has been mined mine half of the high tier material. If you mine it all, your opponents will see a lack of high tier materials and pass on the tile. The key is to leave enough to entice your opponents to mine, but leave scraps so that your opponents will waste as much time as possible. Your aim is to create as much frustration as possible to encourage them to purchase ores from the market place at as high a price as possible. 

Ps. I’m not a miner, I’m just saying what “strategic miners” do.  

When literal glitch exploits are the SOP...

It really seems like DU has such a very long way to go. 

H1Z1 was like this. "Core" elements in, but so lacking that bugs and exploits were almost a necessary evil. Just enough "updates" to string players along for a couple years - then came the cash grab and rapid decline.

I sincerely hope this game takes a different turn.

Current planets will not be reset.  

And after territory control drops I predict even more severe shortages.  Essentially ATM the way most mining works is you have an awkward ship with a handful of territory scanner units, and several large containers.   So after territory control and atmospheric combat drops, the cost of risk goes way up (some combination of needing to keep radars manned,  reducing number of scanners/cargo containers, and massively limiting range from territory defenses META miners can work).

lets face it miners intentionally will have scales balanced against them. Based on the fact that ships fundamentally become wimpy when loaded up, the fact that territory scanners are simultaneously awkward/require motionlessness, and the fact that a mining ship will require more expensive fittings than a PvP ship (more thrust/lift/cargo, and purposefully wimpy+expensive gear like territory scanners).

1 hour ago, HangerHangar said:

Current planets will not be reset.  

And after territory control drops I predict even more severe shortages.  Essentially ATM the way most mining works is you have an awkward ship with a handful of territory scanner units, and several large containers.   So after territory control and atmospheric combat drops, the cost of risk goes way up (some combination of needing to keep radars manned,  reducing number of scanners/cargo containers, and massively limiting range from territory defenses META miners can work).

lets face it miners intentionally will have scales balanced against them. Based on the fact that ships fundamentally become wimpy when loaded up, the fact that territory scanners are simultaneously awkward/require motionlessness, and the fact that a mining ship will require more expensive fittings than a PvP ship (more thrust/lift/cargo, and purposefully wimpy+expensive gear like territory scanners).

Pretty much this. Mining is currently on easy mode. People are vacuuming up ore at record paces.  Let's see people take their medium haulers with 3 territory scanners out to unclaimed tiles when there is full atmo/planet pvp.  

It didn't help that the most recent patch that broke linking was actually supposed to fix a linking exploit that let you stay linked to a conainer regardless of distance - even off world.

I still don't think that ore quantities are a real issue. I keep hearing people cry about ore and swiss cheese moons - yet when I go mining I find untouched tiles left and right.

The again - I don't mine next to markets....

Frankly I've been hearing soo many whines about "All the ore is mined out!" and yet never seen it - I'm starting to suspect that the posters claiming that entire moons are mined to swiss cheese have a bit of an agenda....

I scanned about 50 tiles on Madis Moon 1. I found no high tier ore. The scans took, with travel time, about 15 hours. Worse I spend another 10 hours chasing 5 false positives. So this is the first game, in the 35 years I play video games, that I spend 25 hours on and accomplishing absolutely nothing.

At the current state, mining 10 million blocks with a stone axe in minecraft is more fun and rewarding than mining in DU.

7 minutes ago, RhenKhanhar said:

I scanned about 50 tiles on Madis Moon 1. I found no high tier ore. The scans took, with travel time, about 15 hours. Worse I spend another 10 hours chasing 5 false positives. So this is the first game, in the 35 years I play video games, that I spend 25 hours on and accomplishing absolutely nothing.

At the current state, mining 10 million blocks with a stone axe in minecraft is more fun and rewarding than mining in DU.

I try to let people know, but mining high tier ore on moons is a waste of time even after a fresh reset.  They are crazy rare.  Almost all the veterans know that.  If you are looking for a specific ore thats T2 ore above, its always better to go to a planet that has it.  ALWAYS.  Its a trap some new people fall into.  "oh man i have to travel 3 hours to go mine gold?....wait there is some on this moon!" 

3 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

I try to let people know, but mining high tier ore on moons is a waste of time even after a fresh reset.  They are crazy rare.  Almost all the veterans know that.  If you are looking for a specific ore thats T2 ore above, its always better to go to a planet that has it.  ALWAYS.  Its a trap some new people fall into.  "oh man i have to travel 3 hours to go mine gold?....wait there is some on this moon!" 

100% accurate. Moons are almost totally worthless in terms of mining. As far as the planets are concerned, my organization has yet to experience any indication that ore is running out.

8 hours ago, RhenKhanhar said:

Moons are bad.  Proof; every planet has at least one node of t1 present, per ore, per hex.  Sometimes more than 1.  

T3 about 1 every 15-20 hexes,  on average, on Alioth (may differ on other planets). 

Moons have 1 t1 about very 2 or 3 hexes.

You can then imagine how hard it is to find t3 on a moon.

22 hours ago, Maxnano said:

If the new and reworked planets and mining are more than a couple of months away, we are going to need an ore reseeding.

Thades Moon 1 is almost out of Chrome. only 2-3 % of times claimed ofc. but every tile is like swiss cheese. The worst part is that the ppl mining here seem to be trying to troll each other by leaving scraps of each node so it still shows on the scanner.

I have never mined a moon in this game, dont think i ever will, especially not the safe zone ones.  Just so you know, all the ore on the proper planets is flowing nicely, huge veins everywhere because the majority of players seem to be scared of pvp which is not going to be in the game for several months.