How Much Can Your Ship Carry?

ExPLiCiT

Methinks your math is wrong mate. My M core can easily lift 3KT off alieoth, 5KT if i use my twin L rockets. WITHOUT using the AGG. WITH the AGG i can safely lift and land over 20KT before my brakes become the limiting factor in the " safe landing" portion.

I tend to avoid using the AGG as much as i can though.

Hi,

the OP finished their post with "(...) so you can still have a ship that looks decent and have enough power to make it practical as well." If you add a requirement, "pilot must be able to reliably get the ship off and on the planet", that can affect the weight capacity as well.

Personally I am aiming my design towards the 1kT for M core as well. Though with my S core concept ship I quickly doubled the "on design" weigth by doubling engine/wings/brakes. .. and all with 2g capacities for thrust etc. 

So I see  range of 1kT - 4kT for M cores with a mostly ok looking design, depending on how far you want to stretch or restrict your ship concept, and depending on the lift technology you use, and that is before skills.

Cheers,

Tilda

take whatever core, slap back full of L atmos and M/S airfoils.

Slap L space engines on bottom facing down, put a gyro facing up.

Put a required number of containers.

Once you hit 0.1 atmo, space engines will help you pull out. Once in space use gyro to swap your orientation (your top is now your front).

whatever core, full of elements, freaking cube of elements. Show me a design that beats it.

1kt on XS ? easy.

11 minutes ago, Gottchar said:

rotate core by 45° to side, your "backside" is now 41% bigger, more engines. There would be even better designs which require some pilot skills (player, not in game skills)

I remember the problem was that space Ls take like 60% of you XS core so rotating makes stuff difficult to fit but I didn't try it personally.

• 2 weeks later...

I built and tested a cheap physics test ship on Madis weeks ago and came up with a very simple answer to a simple question. How much minimum force up is required to acquire positive lift? This was non hover atmosphere engine force up only test, nothing else. It's pretty funny obvious the answer is. It literally took less than 30 minutes to build, test, math out the calculations.

Note: I did this force up test in N's not G's. If you want it in G's, you're going to have to the conversion on your own. I purposely explained everything, so newbie can understand things easier.

Location variables:

92% - Atmosphere. (Reflects the max thrust of engines * skills)

531m - Elevation. (Reflects the atmosphere % & m/s(squared) of gravity)

3.45 m/s(squared) - Gravity. (G) (Planet's gravitational force down)

Note: Ground was leveled with flattening tool.

Ship variables:

Centre of mass of X and Y axis. (She was perfectly equal on the X & Y axis, Z axis didn't matter for such a small test ship)

12KN  = Force up. (F) (This variable never changed)

3.45T = Total mass of ship. (T) (I kept adding and removing weight until the ship was just too heavy to produce positive lift, then burn off enough fuel to lower the weight enough to produce positive lift)

Therefore:

12KN F is required to lift 3.45T @ 3.45 m/s(squared) gravity.

= 12/3.45

= 3,478,087N (3.478KN) F = 1T @ 0.345G

= 3,478,087/3.45

= 10,081,920N (10.081KN) F = 1T @ 1.0G

Final:

10,081,920N * Planet's G * T of your ship = Min F / T

I don't normally reply to posts. I'm not a people person, I'm a numbers person.

I'm passing on this information, as I'm not buying anymore game time and quitting DU as of Jan 11th 2021. I'm basically too bored with the game to justify paying more.

I'm HomicidalDuff on Madis, I build ships based on stats not looks. I will help good people for free with building their ships, until I quit the game.

Note: I'm not warping or traveling to far planets to help. So come to Madis or be on Alioth or Sanctuary.

12 hours ago, Underhook said:

Landing on Alioth with a full load was much more difficult (totalled my ship 3 times).

The trick is to keep engines running when you enter atmosphere to maintain forward momentum, while at the same time braking to avoid burning up. Doing this you will have a much easier time 'catching air' and getting wing lift since you are not coming in straight down like a rock.

36 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

The trick is to keep engines running when you enter atmosphere to maintain forward momentum, while at the same time braking to avoid burning up. Doing this you will have a much easier time 'catching air' and getting wing lift since you are not coming in straight down like a rock.

You forgot to mention that you have to point your ship in the direction of your vector to generate lift, or you will stall out.

5 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Thanks.  I'm getting better at it.  I also try and enter over a body of water in case I stuff up  :)

2 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

When (if?) planets starts rotating as planned, getting in and out of atmosphere is going to be much more interesting.

I wouldn't vote for that feature, stuff breaks apart and goes wrong even now. If the planets will rotate god knows what will happen. I will get off my ship at alioth district 6 and find it at the other side of the planet 5 minutes later as it didn't "attach" to planet or something.