How Much Can Your Ship Carry?

ExPLiCiT

I am curious how many tons of cargo your ship can get into space with taking off from Alioth?

From doing some calculations it looks to me on average the practical maximum amount of weight you can get off of Alioth with on a ship made with a medium core is going to be under 1000 tons. 

Now I am sure there are many ways around this like making the entire back end of your ship thrusters and putting airfoils all over your ship. I just think that the power of these devices could use some boost in specs so you can still have a ship that looks decent and have enough power to make it practical as well. 

Piloting skills is what makes our fine little S-Core single L container mining construct lift of 1100 tons (including ship weight tho, so actual ores were around 900 tons), which was the highest I tried so far, having all piloting skills for atmosphere and airfoils at 4 right now. Also in case of "OMG, GO UP!", I can hit B for the M Rocketbooster on it's back. ^^

Before tearing it down due to accidently making it off center in the core(the struggle is real!)

My M core hauler could do 7000+T at roughly .5g. And it was half done, 3000-3500T on Alioth no problem. 

I don't know how you did your math or where you got your numbers. But 1kT is nothing for a M Core ship. 

46 minutes ago, Mordgier said:

You can lift 600t with just 4 L atmos and 2 L stabs and 4 in handling and piloting skills.

So I don't agree that you need a block of engines to fly 1kt.

I would like XL atmos - but that's a separate issue.

Are you including the weight of the ship itself because I am talking about only cargo?

41 minutes ago, Novalok said:

Before tearing it down due to accidently making it off center in the core(the struggle is real!)

My M core hauler could do 7000+T at roughly .5g. And it was half done, 3000-3500T on Alioth no problem. 

I don't know how you did your math or where you got your numbers. But 1kT is nothing for a M Core ship. 

I would love to see some photos and specs!

17 minutes ago, ExPLiCiT said:

I would love to see some photos and specs!

I won't have it rebuilt until most likely mid-next week :) But add Novalok to your contacts, and I can let you know once it's finished. I will 100% be selling it as well :D

1 hour ago, Mordgier said:

You can lift 600t with just 4 L atmos and 2 L stabs and 4 in handling and piloting skills.

So I don't agree that you need a block of engines to fly 1kt.

I would like XL atmos - but that's a separate issue.

You can lift around 0.9kt total weight with 4L atmos and whole bunch of ailerons with piloting 3 and 4 in skills and 2 in technician. I think i managed to take out 1.02kt out once but it struggled so much it was not worth it.  Cargo? I take 500-550t cargo each trip right now, and because i'm moving out of sanct (view of the mountain on alioh finally won) - i've already made like 6 trips and counting. Thats S ship. 

8 hours ago, ExPLiCiT said:

From doing some calculations it looks to me on average the practical maximum amount of weight you can get off of Alioth with on a ship made with a medium core is going to be under 1000 tons. 

lol. my new M-core cargo ship can get 6kt total to orbit with 1.3kt ship+fuel weight, no agg. That's with 50% technician boosts and 10-30% piloting boosts, though.

And it's only two L atmos tall at most.

I only ever have to lift around 200t max, got no idea why anyone would want to lift any more tbh ;)  If you have to stick 100 l engines and ailerons on a ship to do something, I get the impression the devs didnt want it done that way.

I have an XS shuttle I no longer use that I’d do around 800 tons in.  Next an S shuttle I use for long distance warp trips that can do about 1.5kt of cargo off Alioth.  And an M core light freighter that can do 3kt.  Have most aileron/piloting skills to about level 3/4.  Both are probably capable of more, but it’s rare that I wanna spend that much time mining.

All the ships have stock atmospheric and space engines, so I could probably squeeze a bit more out upgrading them to military, but way too lazy to play the remove and replace tightly packed elements game. 

13 hours ago, Moosegun said:

I only ever have to lift around 200t max, got no idea why anyone would want to lift any more tbh ;)  If you have to stick 100 l engines and ailerons on a ship to do something, I get the impression the devs didnt want it done that way.

I mean, when we're mining Malachite/Limestone on Alioth and transporting it back to our base on Madis, you better believe we're going to want to haul more than 200 tons of the stuff ?

XS core designed to be a Alioth sub orbital transporter that can reach any place on the planet quickly with a full M container.

Theoretically 800T cargo at 1g (Alioth), tested with 600T into space and back again. Also has a relatively small frontal area, to give it a top speed of ~1200 km/h in Atmosphere.

warthog.jpg

On 10/4/2020 at 2:13 AM, Zamiel7 said:

I mean, when we're mining Malachite/Limestone on Alioth and transporting it back to our base on Madis, you better believe we're going to want to haul more than 200 tons of the stuff ?

IMHO still doing it wrong, dont worry most people are..... sadly cant explain, would ruin it for those of us taking a different approach.

I'm not sure what the max is on my M core. It has 2 large military atmos and a medium rocket engine. I prefer using rockets for heavy transitions instead of adding more heavy atmo engines.

5 hours ago, Moosegun said:

IMHO still doing it wrong, dont worry most people are..... sadly cant explain, would ruin it for those of us taking a different approach.

Fair enough, I suppose. That being said, if you're going to flex on people for "doing it wrong" and not share with the class how you're "doing it right," people are bound to be a little skeptical ?

1 hour ago, Zamiel7 said:

Fair enough, I suppose. That being said, if you're going to flex on people for "doing it wrong" and not share with the class how you're "doing it right," people are bound to be a little skeptical ?

First rule of Market Club, you dont talk about Market Club

2 hours ago, Emptiness said:

200t is only 40kl of hematite. I can haul 800kl of hematite at a time. Or 1500kl of any of the other T1 ores.

200 tonnes can be a LOT more than 40kl of hema ;)

6 minutes ago, Zamiel7 said:

Ah, gotcha! Careful though! Perhaps even by invoking the name, you're in danger of giving us mere mortals too much information...

You know the deal with MMO market stuff, as soon as you let the cat out of the bag, the bastad thing runs off with the bag and you need to do something else.

51 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

You know the deal with MMO market stuff, as soon as you let the cat out of the bag, the bastad thing runs off with the bag and you need to do something else.

That is certainly the case. In my own organization, we've already gotten into some "Market PvP," as it were, trying to sell certain items.

• 4 weeks later...

You should look up real world calculators for these things, such as the equivalents of 1 Ton to Newtons of force, and the aviation calculation for thrust. So far these calculations have been incredibly helpful for an estimate on how much thrust is required to get out of 1g.  Roughly 1 ton = 9807 newtons force ( that's rounded up), obviously we aren't calculating lift here but this calculation will help you estimate how much thrust you need in order to lift a certain amount of weight.  Once you have that number, you can then take the total weight, divide the total force you have by the weight * gravity. 

Thrust ratio = Total thrust ( in kN ) / (weight in T *  Gravity) 

If the value is above 1.0 technically you have enough thrust to go straight up like a rocket with the total weight. (which also works in game) anything less than one means you have to go on an angular incline and also achieve terminal velocity prior to leaving atmos.  usually you want to be above 0.5 otherwise you risk falling out sky at some point attempting to leave atmos.