Question about engines

Fra119

Hello everyone, I'm at the very beginning of my ship building career (lol) and I struggled a bit with my first small hauler when I came back fully loaded, so I am thinking about adding an atmospheric engine pointig down to slow my fall when re-entering atmosohere, but as I need it only for that specific situation, how can I control it separately from the forward engines? Because I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) it goes automatically with the other engines.

Same applies eventually for rocket engines, if for instance I want to add a rocket engine to ease take off stage, how can I have separated controls over it?

Played a lot of space engineers and I am so used to its ship control panel where you could group engines separately and basically do whatever you wanted with close to no effort.

Thx in advance and sry for eng.

Generally fighting gravity with engines is bad. You will burn a lot of fuel for not a lot of benefit. Airfoils and forward speed should be used to stay aloft instead, it is much more efficient to do it that way.

If your objective is to slow re-entry speed I would instead recommend you use air/space brakes (airbrake/retro-rocket) to do that instead.