Fuel Tanks

SimIan

Hi all

I am in the process of assembling an atmospheric ship for hauling ore, for which I have multiple fuel tanks but I can't connect more than 1 fuel tank to a single engine. I could have each tank fuel several engines but then the fuel in the tanks could get out of balance i.e. one tank runs out of fuel before another and would result in the engines connected to that tank shutting down.

How do I get round this issue and balance the fuel in the tanks and not have to add a single massive tank to the build?

35 minutes ago, SimIan said:

Hi all

I am in the process of assembling an atmospheric ship for hauling ore, for which I have multiple fuel tanks but I can't connect more than 1 fuel tank to a single engine. I could have each tank fuel several engines but then the fuel in the tanks could get out of balance i.e. one tank runs out of fuel before another and would result in the engines connected to that tank shutting down.

How do I get round this issue and balance the fuel in the tanks and not have to add a single massive tank to the build?

You do it the hard way - so as you described. Either balance out fuel usage between tanks connected to multiple engines - for example connect every tank to 4 same engines - or make one massive tank. There is no workaround. 

So here is my trick.  It is taken from an old WWII trick.

Left side fuel tank for left side engines, right tank for right engines.  

If I have them mounted front and rear I will have the rear tank for my main engines and the front tank for hover or maneuver engines.

38 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

So here is my trick.  It is taken from an old WWII trick.

Left side fuel tank for left side engines, right tank for right engines.  

If I have them mounted front and rear I will have the rear tank for my main engines and the front tank for hover or maneuver engines.

This is what we normally do, just split the engines evenly.  Unless we have VTOL engines, we sometimes run them on a separate tank

42 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

This is what we normally do, just split the engines evenly.  Unless we have VTOL engines, we sometimes run them on a separate tank

Likewise with the vtols.... But it depends ultimately on the space constraints of the design.  

Just now, LouHodo said:

Likewise with the vtols.... But it depends ultimately on the space constraints of the design.  

We often run them on haulers, which my lua guy hasnt touched yet, we run separate tanks so we only use them when loaded.

1 minute ago, Moosegun said:

We often run them on haulers, which my lua guy hasnt touched yet, we run separate tanks so we only use them when loaded.

Yeah our Lua team has been busy on our bigger projects.  I leave them to it... Because to me it is magic.