morphing blocks when I don't what it to

Rossbrook

Hello all, is there anyway of placing a block down without morphing the block next to it

The first image shows it before I placed the square block below the diagonal block
https://pasteboard.co/Jspfyoe.jpg

The second image is after I placed the square block and the diagonal block is then morph around it
https://pasteboard.co/JspfLze.jpg

is there a way to keep them both the same

Many Thanks Rossbrook

No, you can't since voxels share vertices. To get familiar with the resulting constraints, try things out first in 2 dimensions  using the 2D Voxel Planner at: https://dual.sh/voxelplanner/

Let me amend this by saying that if you leave a gap of one voxel between the original voxel and the placed voxel than they will both retain their original form. . If you play with the 2D Voxel Planner you will soon realize that vertices can be "pushed" up to 1.5 voxel widths from their original position. This leads to the possibility of using an "offset" voxel instead of the voxel you placed to get the result you desired. Creating this kind of voxel is often called "voxelmancy" and requires a voxel board to create (the voxel place tool cannot create them). There are tutorials on how to do this on youtube, but as you are just starting out you should avoid this technique to start, and see what the voxel place and voxel line tools can do.

What I find the most annoying, is that I can have a wall, corner, shape all built the way I want it (not mangled) ... yet if i go to copy/paste that shape to a like-location (like copy a diagonal wall thats on a floor, and paste to another location on a floor)... it decides to mangle the wall. Or if holding shift, it decides to mangle the floor. There is no hotkey to say "just paste this like the frelling original is".

Originally I had wanted to make a 'shapes pallette' ... to copy/paste from (because making some basic made-often shapes, is needlessly time consuming). However with how much the copy/paste system mangles something, I just gave up on the notion.

And dont get me started on the uselessness of the line/slope tool ;) unless its exactly 45 °, the slope it makes is gonna be mangled... regardless if walls or floors are nearby.

10 hours ago, Maxnano said:

its prior inheritancy, theres a good, if super technical video on it on YT, Volexmancy part 1.  you will know it when you see it lol

Right, after understanding that "every vertex is shared"... and not "you are placing individual blocks" ... the reasoning behind the wackyjack lunacy becomes more clear.

Not that I LIKE it... but I now understand it ;)

4 hours ago, Frigidman said:

Right, after understanding that "every vertex is shared"... and not "you are placing individual blocks" ... the reasoning behind the wackyjack lunacy becomes more clear.

Not that I LIKE it... but I now understand it ;)

I think i under quantum physics better than voxel placement atm.