Ship Piracy Where do the GM's stand?

LunaticWoda

So where do the GMs stand on ship piracy? So lets say a ship docks onto your ship.... Either they legit landed on you or you used your larger core to get them docked to you. You than proceed to fly to the pvp zone and pop the ship. Is it fair game as creative use of available game mechanics or is it an exploit? Either way I know it would be a scum bag move but I want to know where the rules are on this behavior as I know several players plotting such things.

Thanks!

If they landed on you? LOL.

If you went out of your way to force a dock I would consider it an exploit.

The fact that you can currently interact with non permissioned constructs in that way can't possibly be intended.

There are plenty of exploits around current docking mechanics - and that's what they are - exploits.

In order for this to happen (getting your ship transported to the PvP zone) there is 2 conditions:

-You landed your ship on a bigger core ship, either by mistake or willingly, either way it’s 100% legal if they fly off to the PvP zone and your ship get destroyed. Also 100% on you and it’s completely legal.

It’s not possible for someone else to pick up your ship using the maneuvering tool to place onto their ship, unless you gave permissions on your core for this, or your core is already destroyed.

However, if someone did manipulate your ship to attach it to theirs without permission from the owner, then it’s an exploit.

In the other hand, beware as this can be use the other way around and when someone attaches a smaller core to you, this smaller ship is now a huge beacon and they can track you and blow you up.

2 hours ago, Iorail said:

In order for this to happen (getting your ship transported to the PvP zone) there is 2 conditions:

-You landed your ship on a bigger core ship, either by mistake or willingly, either way it’s 100% legal if they fly off to the PvP zone and your ship get destroyed. Also 100% on you and it’s completely legal.

It’s not possible for someone else to pick up your ship using the maneuvering tool to place onto their ship, unless you gave permissions on your core for this, or your core is already destroyed.

However, if someone did manipulate your ship to attach it to theirs without permission from the owner, then it’s an exploit.

In the other hand, beware as this can be use the other way around and when someone attaches a smaller core to you, this smaller ship is now a huge beacon and they can track you and blow you up.

Dont be too sure about that, I have actually accidentally picked up ships at market where I had just landed and managed to slip under their wings, this 100% could be an issue.

NQ has pretty much acknowledge this issue and have mentioned looking into a "docking element" allowing a more deliberate and controlled mechanic which is great. I can see that being something for the not so immediate future but it's good the know it's on the radar at least

30 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Dont be too sure about that, I have actually accidentally picked up ships at market where I had just landed and managed to slip under their wings, this 100% could be an issue.

And that’s is part of the bug/exploit I mention which NQ is aware, but this is not the example presented by the OP. Their question is more on the pirate side and basically asking if they would get in trouble for purposely doing the above mention.

12 minutes ago, Iorail said:

And that’s is part of the bug/exploit I mention which NQ is aware, but this is not the example presented by the OP. Their question is more on the pirate side and basically asking if they would get in trouble for purposely doing the above mention.

My point it that I believe it IS possible to pick up other players ship without maneuver and without their perms, which makes the OP's scenario tangible.  As there is no really exploit involved, they are simply using an ingame mechanic as it is currently supposed to be used, I very much doubt they would be sanctioned, I also doubt that NQ wouldnt cave in an give the target all their stuff back away.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

NQ has pretty much acknowledge this issue and have mentioned looking into a "docking element" allowing a more deliberate and controlled mechanic which is great. I can see that being something for the not so immediate future but it's good the know it's on the radar at least

yea hopefully we get a button or a hotkey we press to dock a ship.
as much fun as it may be to steal peoples ships its very annoying when you have lots of ships parked at a base or space station of different core sizes and suddley they are all connected.

IMO stealing ships without taking possession of the core by first destroying it in combat or salvaging an unowned core should be an exploit, assuming the stolen ship was not intentionally docked by the owner for some ulterior motive. NQ should stick to safe zones being safe.

Not an ideal situation though because it can turn into he said she said conflicts that NQ has to deal with on case by case basis. Docking should ultimately be explicitly allowed by both ships' owners with RDMS.

7 hours ago, Iorail said:

You can also claim a tile with ships in it. This gives you maneuver rights to the constructs allowing you to dock the opposing ships to your own.

I kind of wish the Landing Gears worked like they did in Space Engineers where you can manually lock them, 1 it would let me carry a speeder under my larger ship, and 2 let me place landing gears in a direction other than down. 

And to keep people from using them like tow hooks you would just need to use the RDMs to have permissions to lock onto other ships.

Joa I specifically thought about doing that as like a ship plow as the GMs are supposed to be clearing the market landing pads but it seems like its just getting worse would love to sneak an L core on there get a bunch of junk on it and slide everything off to the side so people could actually land properly. Just dont have the patience to wait to get enough space cleared for it to work though

33 minutes ago, Velase85 said:

I kind of wish the Landing Gears worked like they did in Space Engineers where you can manually lock them, 1 it would let me carry a speeder under my larger ship, and 2 let me place landing gears in a direction other than down. 

And to keep people from using them like tow hooks you would just need to use the RDMs to have permissions to lock onto other ships.

Make something like a magnetic tether or tractor beam device as not all ships use landing gear. Just have it surface mount like a telemeter and give it a short max operating range, so it pulls you in to the landing target. However Larger PVP players could also exploit this by tethering to a smaller ship.