Anyone running DU on AMD Threadripper?

Mordgier

Most of the CPU usage is loading planet voxels, and that uses AVX, so I don't know if performance is as simple as adding more cores, some CPUs are more efficient wtih AVX than others, but it's hard to find benchmarks or documentation on the subject

9 minutes ago, Haunty said:

Most of the CPU usage is loading planet voxels, and that uses AVX, so I don't know if performance is as simple as adding more cores, some CPUs are more efficient wtih AVX than others, but it's hard to find benchmarks or documentation on the subject

Yeah Intel is plugging it for their 8 cores -

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/blogs/intel-core-i9-processors-reduce-open-world-load-times.html

So ok - fine it scales to 8 - but at a certain point it clearly won't matter - and I am under the assumption that anything beyond 16 cores for DU will be pointless - but was hoping someone out there with an overkill build could confirm.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:53 PM, Mordgier said:

Yeah Intel is plugging it for their 8 cores -

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/blogs/intel-core-i9-processors-reduce-open-world-load-times.html

So ok - fine it scales to 8 - but at a certain point it clearly won't matter - and I am under the assumption that anything beyond 16 cores for DU will be pointless - but was hoping someone out there with an overkill build could confirm.

I'll buy a 3990x if you buy a 3990x. :P

Well, in 4 months when I move funds around for it.

3 hours ago, Seether said:

I'll buy a 3990x if you buy a 3990x. :P

Well, in 4 months when I move funds around for it.

The issue with threadripper is that it's a downgrade from a 16 core ryzen for most games. The fact that a threadripper and the mobo to go with it costs as much as pretty much a complete system minus a GPU isn't lost on me either.

I kinda want to do it costs be damned, but I'm going to feel incredibly dumb when I fire up a CPU that costs as much as a passable car only to see 16 cores used....meaning I could have gotten MORE performance out of a cheaper CPU.

2 hours ago, Wondyr said:

Running a 1950x with a 1080ti.  Haven't seen CPU usage go over 16% and GPU usage at 76% to 80%.

That is so bizzare to me - I constantly see 60-80% load across 8 cores which is why I am considering going past 16 for the next CPU - but only if it makes sense.

Will stick to 16 most likely...