Suggestions to Improve Controls and Tools

I love the concept of this game but several control aspects almost made me give up on it entirely not too long after I started. I think if the following changes were made the gameplay would be far more enjoyable and less irritating.

• Combine tools
    • Exploration tools
      • Make the Directional Detector another tab on the Scanner tool along with long range and short range.
      • Make the Harvest tool act as the Mining tool when the reticle is on an ore deposit
      • Make a Terraform tool that combines the Flatten tool, Planet Smooth tool, and Mine tool. It can only effect dirt not ore.
        • Have a toggle key for picking up dirt and display on the screen if it is active or not instead of the button being in the inventory.
      • Combine the Deploy Construct tool and the Deploy Ground Element tool. Functionality is determined by what is selected on the quick access bar.
        • If an item in the quick access bar runs out, remove the item from the quick access bar.
    • Building tools
      • Combine deploy voxel tool and deploy element tool. Functionality is determined by what is selected on quick access bar.
        • If an item in the quick access bar runs out, remove the item from the quick access bar.
      • Make a Select tool that combines the Select Voxel tool and the Move Element tool. Functionality is determined by what the reticle is on.
      • Make the Replace Voxel tool a right click option for the new Select tool.
      • Make the Area Smooth Voxel tool a function of the Smooth Voxel tool.

• Have one quick access bar for the Exploration tool set and one for the Build tool set, not one for each tool.
  • Allow windows while piloting such as seat controller and fuel to be rearranged on screen when in mouse mode.
  • Have the angle display on at all times while on a planet instead of just when your flashlight is on.
  • While in build mode, allow for player to travel in the direction the mouse is facing including up and down instead of using the jetpack up and down keys.
  • When closing the inventory or other tab, disable mouse mode.
  • Make the crafting ingredient text red if there is not enough and yellow if something in the queue makes it not be enough.
  • Add a split stack option in the right click menu in a container and your nanopack.
  • Show rotation axis of objects.
  • Allow for default ship controls to be changed from keyboard only to keyboard and mouse in the key bindings menu instead of only in the right click menu.

hitting 4(scanner) then running toward the direction, then 3(detector) is easy, pressing tab then mousing to the scanner ui, to fiddle with short/long and filters is... not intuitive(and how often is short range useful really when detector has similar range with lvl 3+ talents, and without territory scanner, you should farm anything you see in range anyway, unless your going t5 ore with xs containers... which is...)

Alt + scroll changes the tabs on the scanner so it would still be fast and easy. My main point of all the tool stuff is there are too many tools. Ones I mentioned could be combined so there aren't so many tools that you can't even have all of them equipped at all times.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:53 PM, GoldStingr said:

Add a split stack option in the right click menu in a container and your nanopack.

Shift-drag

Show rotation axis of objects.

This would actually be nice.

Allow for default ship controls to be changed from keyboard only to keyboard and mouse in the key bindings menu instead of only in the right click menu.

Agreed

While in build mode, allow for player to travel in the direction the mouse is facing including up and down instead of using the jetpack up and down keys.

I like using the jetpack up/down keys for that.

Allow windows while piloting such as seat controller and fuel to be rearranged on screen when in mouse mode.

Yeah, would be nice.

Building tools

• Combine deploy voxel tool and deploy element tool. Functionality is determined by what is selected on quick access bar.

Hard No. You're suggesting that instead of 9 elements and 9 voxel types equipped, I'd have to choose which I wanted? Yikes. And no to removing.

Make the Directional Detector another tab on the Scanner tool along with long range and short range.

Ew. No. What are you thinking?

Make the Harvest tool act as the Mining tool when the reticle is on an ore deposit

Uh, no. Mining tool already has two modes, create tunnels/mine ore and place planetary soils.

Make a Terraform tool that combines the Flatten tool, Planet Smooth tool

No

If an item in the quick access bar runs out, remove the item from the quick access bar.

I can't imagine why one would want that.

Combine the Deploy Construct tool and the Deploy Ground Element tool. Functionality is determined by what is selected on the quick access bar.

Ew, no.

Not going to bother to reply to the rest of that.