Before I join, a couple of questions

maxZZzzz

I have been watching a lot of videos lately to see how the game works currently. A few things I could not figure out though. So before I decide if I wanna join I wanted to ask you how some things work.

1) Is there a maximum size for space stations? If so, is it still somehow possible connect enough "grids" together to build a real sized death star?

2) Are there things you can only do if you have a certain skill trained? Or are skills just about efficiency?

3) If you crash hard enough: can ships/structures take structural damage? In the sense that holes form or grid parts get torn off.

4) Can a claim be totally mined out? Or is there always more stuff deeper down because planets are very big?

5) To what extend can you use scripts? Is it possible to programm something like an autopilot?

Thats it. I am curious : )

6 minutes ago, maxZZzzz said:

I have been watching a lot of videos lately to see how the game works currently. A few things I could not figure out though. So before I decide if I wanna join I wanted to ask you how some things work.

I'll try... :)

1) Is there a maximum size for space stations? If so, is it still somehow possible connect enough "grids" together to build a real sized death star?

You can hook grids together. Historically, there have been issues getting perfect alignment using player tools. But in theory I don't think there are any stoppers. You'd need a lot of people though, just to be able to have that many cores (each person and each organisation has a limit on the number of cores they can own). The death star is 160km in diameter, which would need a couple of trillion Large cores... Or you could just dig a big crater in Alioth and call it done... it's nearly as big... :)

2) Are there things you can only do if you have a certain skill trained? Or are skills just about efficiency?

Skills are hard caps on some things. You can only have so many cores, you can only use cores of a certain size, and these limits depend on having trained Talents. You can only attach so many of a given weapon to a particular seat, but enough of the right skill lets you attach more. So 'efficiency' in a broad sense, mostly, but those efficiencies do let you do things that you couldn't do before, like get some kinds of ship to orbit, just because your skills give enough of a boost to push a construct's "efficiency" over a line. Industry talents and crafting talents are a combination of time improvements and actual efficiency of use of materials. But if someone owns that L core ship and lets you pilot it, there's nothing stopping you hopping in the seat and flying the largest dynamic construct as soon as you leave the spawn chamber.

3) If you crash hard enough: can ships/structures take structural damage? In the sense that holes form or grid parts get torn off.

Generally the ship's core pops before crash damage ruins the voxels. Battle damage is more localised and can blow holes in your hull. At the moment, structures will not take collision damage because of the rules about how it's determined. Roughly speaking, the participant in the crash who was going fastest and taking least action to avoid the crash at the moment of the collision will take all the damage. Since static cores are by definition always the slowest in a collision, they will always take no damage. Personally, I don't see this changing, since I believe NQ don't want suicide collision to be a thing, ever.

4) Can a claim be totally mined out? Or is there always more stuff deeper down because planets are very big?

AIUI, there's nothing below the T5 layer. Generally, there's T1 close to the surface, all kinds. Then any given planet has a few other possibilities in other tiers, and each tier is deeper than the last. The deepest is the T5 layer, and not all planets have even that. So a claim (by which i take it you mean a hex - the amount of land granted to you for your sole disposition by a Territory Unit) can, indeed be mined out. Sanctuary Moon claims get mined out quickly, because they as a rule have only T1 deposits (and I think these are "moon density" which is lower than "planet density" too) and one T2 node. They have infinite T1 and T2 on the surface as respawning rocks though. It's just not a very efficient use of time if you've other sources available. If you have made a claim off the Sanctuary moon, you can pick up your TCU after a week and move on. There's more than a single operators operator-week of ore in a given hex, though, so you won't be twiddling your thumbs waiting to be able to move on. And off the Sanctuary moon, you don't even need to have a claim on the land to mine it. Sancutary TUs are one-use, though, and necessary to mine the land they claim; neutral land is unmineable on the Sanctuary moon(s).

5) To what extend can you use scripts? Is it possible to programm something like an autopilot?

Every construct can have LUA script added to it, often in multiple places. Autopilots are common examples of code added to pilot seats. The possibilities are very broad, though there are some limitations. NQ are keen to avoid automation of some tasks: turrets for example, and so some hooks that would be useful for UI customisation are blocked from use by the construct custom LUA.

Thats it. I am curious : )

Hope that's answered some of your questions. I'm sure if I've misinterpreted something along the way, someone will correct me.

Oh wow. Thanks for the extensive answer.

LUA scripts can apparently do more then I hoped for. Autopilots are nice. very!

Being able to shoot holes into ships is nice too. Otherwise immersion would be completly broken for me. It is already hard to swallow, that you can lift and turn the shipt without engines with just your tools.

That you have to join grids/cores is an interesting choice. It forces communities for larger builds. I like that much more then the restrictions they put into EVE to force players to play together.

OK. I think I give it a try and spend a couple of bucks on it : )

Thank you very much : )

3 hours ago, maxZZzzz said:

Oh wow. Thanks for the extensive answer.

LUA scripts can apparently do more then I hoped for. Autopilots are nice. very!

Being able to shoot holes into ships is nice too. Otherwise immersion would be completly broken for me. It is already hard to swallow, that you can lift and turn the shipt without engines with just your tools.

That you have to join grids/cores is an interesting choice. It forces communities for larger builds. I like that much more then the restrictions they put into EVE to force players to play together.

OK. I think I give it a try and spend a couple of bucks on it : )

Thank you very much : )

As of right now I would say wait give it 3-6 months when NQ gets the core issues fixed with the game. If you do jump in  beware of baffling game design decisions, and unintuitive UI among other things. T

6 hours ago, Treelessrain said:

As of right now I would say wait give it 3-6 months when NQ gets the core issues fixed with the game. If you do jump in  beware of baffling game design decisions, and unintuitive UI among other things. T

You mentioned baffling game design decisions in another thread. Care to elucidate? It's not a very useful warning to newbies when they don't know what you consider "rational" or "sensible" game design decisions would be. And what appear to be "decisions" may just be "placeholders", and that may not be obvious to you, but could be explained if someone who was au fait with the developments could be aware of your perception.

There are plenty of strange things in the game, I'll grant you, but most of them you can see where NQ are coming from, at least. And "baffling design decisions" seems to be the stock-in-trade of MMOs in my recent experience.

16 minutes ago, Kezzle said:

You mentioned baffling game design decisions in another thread. Care to elucidate? It's not a very useful warning to newbies when they don't know what you consider "rational" or "sensible" game design decisions would be. And what appear to be "decisions" may just be "placeholders", and that may not be obvious to you, but could be explained if someone who was au fait with the developments could be aware of your perception.

There are plenty of strange things in the game, I'll grant you, but most of them you can see where NQ are coming from, at least. And "baffling design decisions" seems to be the stock-in-trade of MMOs in my recent experience.

Yeah I am interested to find out what 'baffling' game gamplay decisions have been made, tend to find statements like this are actually talking about decisions someone either doesnt understand or doesnt agree with from a personal point of view. 

A quick correction: I got the sums wrong about how many L cores it would take to build a Death star. Quite badly wrong. It's more like thirty thousand (30000) L cores. So while "trillions" is very wrong, it still works as hyperbole :)

That would be some project, getting enough entities together to build a thing that's that big though. And it is still as big as Alioth, IIRC.

20 minutes ago, kleves said:

and people are waiting in space to blow up your ship and kill your toon and make you start all over with nothing welcome to gank world

The Rebellion would've liked to blow up the Death Star while it was being built, too. They didn't manage that because the Empire had enough resources to protect the project. If you want to build such a thing, better get some friendly TIE fighters to help defend it against the raiders. Or maybe because it doesn't need to all go active at once, Space cores will be able to load enough ordnance to defend themselves by the time the safe zones around planets go "poof".