launcher start with admin rights - Windows 10

realMod

Hello Novaquark ,

first of all a big shout out for such a great game idea and beta delivery. I do enjoy this at is is right now very much.

Could you please check if this is correct?

When I do start the game launcher (Windows 10 64 Bit) using a restricted / normal Windows user account then I am prompted to provide the Windows admin password.

Declining will close the launcher, i.e. I cannot start the game.

Cheers

realMoD

When the launcher needs to update the game it will run with elevated rights to do so. If no update is needed the launcher will start in normal mode.

So to update, you need to enter the admin password.. If you are running the game on a work PC, you may be breaching company security policy so I'd suggest not doing so and/or asking your companies IT team if they can allow it (provided you are permitted to use the system for personal use).

Here is the official explanation:

https://support.dualthegame.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016159339-EQU8-Anti-Cheat-Details

Launcher changes

• The anti-cheat needs to install a Windows service on its first run to work properly. This requires administrator privileges, which is why the launcher requests them. This service only runs with the game. If the game is stopped, so does the service. Please also keep in mind that stopping the service on purpose triggers a kick, as it’s interpreted as a cheating attempt.
  • The launcher currently requests administrator privileges on each launch. This is a bug which will be fixed soon.
  • With the introduction of the anticheat, the client will refuse to start if run directly from the binary (Dual.exe). This is expected and is a technical constraint. You need to start the game from the launcher every time.