Why does NQ-Sophon own 37 Tiles on Alioth?

Dashivax

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Look I am not arguing against NQ making a presence in the game. I am just saying it starts to get troublesome when/if they do impossible things as ingame players.

NQ-Whatever isn't an in game player.

GMs etc having weird GM only things isn't new. You can go back to Everquest days, GMs had their own zone that basically was a hangout spot. Anarchy Online also had GM zones. I dunno about other games but I assume so - nevermind GM gear that essentially made them invulnerable. I did volunteered as an Anarchy 'Guide' back in the day and my Guide char had godlike gear that no player could ever get. Was that a problem? No...because only my GUIDE char had it.

NQ-Whatever doing funky stuff is fine. 

Now if an NQ employee made a char and gave that char 37 districts and didn't have an NQ tag - yeah ok I'd grab my trusty -------E

Cause that's abuse of power and is the same shit that happened in EVE with dev favoritism....

If you want to be upset about stuff NQ does - go be upset about NQ teleporting ships back to players after they were lost in PvP. An NQ tagged char having 37 zones isn't an issue or misuse of power.

I do not understand why people are defending this behavior of the developers before we know why this area was claimed. Does this need defending? Who has said they have done something improper? Simply trying to understand why the developer has chosen to flaunt their game-developer powers in the areas of the game specifically designed to be the sandbox for the playerbase.

There are more than 1000 tiles on the same planet that are reserved for any purpose the developer wishes where the players cannot claim or otherwise modify the area.

Once territory warfare is active, should we expect similar behavior from the developers, claiming land using methods beyond the scope of the playerbase?

7 minutes ago, Dashivax said:

I do not understand why people are defending this behavior of the developers before we know why this area was claimed. Does this need defending? Who has said they have done something improper? Simply trying to understand why the developer has chosen to flaunt their game-developer powers in the areas of the game specifically designed to be the sandbox for the playerbase.

There are more than 1000 tiles on the same planet that are reserved for any purpose the developer wishes where the players cannot claim or otherwise modify the area.

Once territory warfare is active, should we expect similar behavior from the developers, claiming land using methods beyond the scope of the playerbase?

No one is defending them cause no one know what that area is for. However, they don’t have to explain to anyone what the purpose of that area is. For all we know they could be testing exploits. It could be there today and gone tomorrow.

My point is, why would anyone care? It’s their game and they do with it what they see fit.

You woolens need a hobby......

English (deepl used)

I would only be interested in what the tiles cost and how long JC had to play for them if he was a normal player?

I think it's good if the developers play their game too, because then they know the possibilities and problems of the game. But they should also play by the same rules as all players.

German (original)

Mich würde nur Interessieren was die Tiles gekostet haben und wie lange JC dafür spielen musste, wenn er ein normaler Spieler wäre?

Ich finde es gut wenn die Entwickler ihr Spiel auch spielen, denn dann kennen Sie auch die Möglichkeiten und Probleme des Spiels. Nur sollten Sie auch nach den selben Regeln spielen wie alle Spieler.

Die Waldfee

1 hour ago, Iorail said:

You woolens need a hobby......

You care enough to come in here and attack players for asking questions of the developers.  You have shared your opinion, if you have nothing else to contribute to the conversation why not go back to not caring what the creators of the game choose to do. Some of us care to know what decisions are being made by the owners of this business that is now accepting money from customers.

We all have flying craft.   If something is happening there, I'm sure eager beavers will be keen to tell us.

And if we can't fly over there, well that's also a clue.

Edit: also a lovely first story for any budding news journalist or news agency...

5 hours ago, Dashivax said:

You care enough to come in here and attack players for asking questions of the developers.  You have shared your opinion, if you have nothing else to contribute to the conversation why not go back to not caring what the creators of the game choose to do. Some of us care to know what decisions are being made by the owners of this business that is now accepting money from customers.

You seem to be full of assumptions today, who is attacking anyone? Because in my end it looks like you all are attacking NQ whatever.

Let me put it in simpler terms, it doesn’t matter what the area is, how they got it, what they are using it for and last but not least, what the intent for it is. If this staff member would have use his powers wrongly, those hexes will not have his staff member name on them. I’ll even go as far as to say to you all that there is an exploit involving TU’s and for as far as I’m concern someone just found their exploit testing site. Those 37 tiles have zero impact on anyone at all besides that NQ claim them first, and if that is the complaint, oh boy....

It doesn’t matter either way, in a sense, I’m glad they have a present in game and people can see it, cause there are games out there that the developers have never step foot in their game once.

8 hours ago, Dashivax said:

Well, counter to this is easy. Why players automatically assume nefarious reasons without waiting for explanation? Cause not everyone "just want to know the answer" - there is a lot of "no no" and "cheating" assumptions floating in this thread. Without any answer during weekend after less than 24 hours of asking for a territory claimed by official account (this is not anonymised normal gaming account where he play the game i hope). So yeah, you have people calling for less enmity in approach.

25 minutes ago, Comrademoco said:

Cause we all know JC is up to nefarious stuff up in there, secretly doing things against his game. ? Should we tell the OP he's the CEO and Creative Director of the game or nah??

Noooooooo let him be ????

Why are we even making an issue of JC having taken 0.014% of the available territory on Alioth in a pretty remote and desolate region. where the total number of claimed tiles currently stands at 3.3%

I think someone here needs to go get some fresh air and walk it off.. and get a life...

Hey folks,

while it's perfectly fine for you to wonder about the ways and motives behind certain actions, I'd like to remind you that this should not be reason enough to dive into a heated argument ;)

It's also fine to point out that there's no way to force a statement out of people or make them explain themselves facing accusations. Sure, asking is ok - as is hoping for an answer. Just consider if it was the other way around - would you be more inclined to answer such a question if it was asked nicely with no strings attached, or if the question got a bunch of worst case scenarios and hypothetical reproach in the package?

Both sides made some nice arguments that I personally can relate to and which made reading through the thread fun. But at the same time both sides already overstepped the fine line of civil discussion a bit as well, which made my key ring tingle. So please, when you have a good argument let it stand on its own feet and without evil support-spikes that might hurt someone else.

If you can manage that, then I can keep this thread open so you might actually see an answer to your question at some point. Just keep in mind that this is not a promise, as I don't know the answer, intent or plans myself and so far didn't inquire about it either - my guess would be just as good as yours.

I don't know about that area, but if you may accept a piece of my faith: Novaquark is developing this game and building the Dual Universe for you - not against :) 

Mellow greetings

Mondlicht

Thanks for the response Mondlicht. I believe this question is important to ask because it sends a strong message about the stance the developers take around their in game presence and how it impacts the ecosystem and playerbase. Specifically, when their in-game characters are using developer tools to impact the player sandbox.

We can be certain that the way these 37 tiles were acquired was by using developer tools, a means outside the scope of a normal player character. If the developers will be playing the game using in-game characters, what rules if any are in place internally to restrict their usage of developer tools to benefit their in-game characters or any organizations they belong to?

Unlike some in this thread I do not feel it is necessary to jump to conclusions about the purpose of this area of the game, or if it is justifiable because the developers can do whatever they want. I believe the people who say that would not feel the same if a developer banned them tomorrow on a whim, surely "they can do whatever they want" would suddenly not be defensible.

In the end we are all now paying customers and we were sold a vision of a player-driven sandbox. If a developer is also playing the game as a player, there is an expectation that we are playing on an equal footing; knowledge of the game not withstanding.

Being a "paying customer" (Whatever sense of importance you get from saying that) gives you no entitlement whatsoever to be informed on why JC has these tiles. Whether he uses this area as a testing ground for his work on Lua or testing building changes or whatever.. Who cares.

It seems from this thread that OP is pretty much the only person trying to make an issue out of this while everyone else could not care less. JC can do whatever he wants in the game he dreamed up and designed as long as it does not directly impact whatever we, as "paying customers" do. And me for one implicitly trust and expect JC to know and understand that very well and live by that. I do not need his confirmation or any official word from NQ to believe that to be true. And honestly, I think most others do as well.

6 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Whether he uses this area as a testing ground for his work on Lua or testing building changes or whatever.. Who cares.

So we agree that if he is using it for testing then neither of us would have a problem with that. Great, then let's wait to see what the answer to the question is. I am sure that if this is for testing they will be happy to give us that answer. It would be interesting to know that this game that is now launched with a paid subscription and no plans to wipe again is having a developer test things in the live player sandbox areas, wouldn't you agree?

8 minutes ago, Mordgier said:

Stop.

He ISN'T playing it as a player. NQ- is not a player.

How hard is this to grasp?

When they create a character and log it into the game world, and perform in game activities on that player character, what other definition is there?

4 minutes ago, Dashivax said:

When they create a character and log it into the game world, and perform in game activities on that player character, what other definition is there?

NQ-Name isn't a player character. It's a dev account.

NQ- can teleport at will anywhere - and what you think JC mined the ore to build his castle??? Get real.

3 minutes ago, Mordgier said:

NQ-Name isn't a player character. It's a dev account.

NQ- can teleport at will anywhere - and what you think JC mined the ore to build his castle??? Get real.

Pretty sure that is exactly the point being made, the devs OBVIOUSLY have powers beyond normal players, why are they using them to impact the game world in a live sandbox. Have any of you actually played other MMOs before???