Why does NQ-Sophon own 37 Tiles on Alioth?

Dashivax

It is pretty normal for developers to play their own games, but not with a character that is obviously playing by different rules or with advantages.

With the exponentially increasing cost of placing an additional territory unit on the same planet, it is impossible for a single character to own this many territories on the same planet.

I bought into the idea and vision of this game being a totally player created universe. The below serves to remind the players that there are beings in this universe that play by a different set of rules.

qerwerreqwer.png.ef17b18b596de94d990676fb647aaa5d.png

Are they using the area to create some form of content the players can enjoy or is it actually being used as personal space? Have you actually verified every tile as being owned by the NQ dev?  

Rather interesting to see and hopefully an explanation from the devs on this. 

You can quite easily click each tile and see each one is owned by NQ-Sophon. This area is about 100km west of the Arkship.

I live near the area and noticed last week that 4 tiles were owned by NQ-Sophon on this mountain. Yesterday I noticed it had suddenly increased in size to 37 tiles.

1 minute ago, Magnus01 said:

ok so devs abusing their own game and having active accounts on the only public server for their personal use thats a big NO NO WTF

Nothing wrong with Devs playing their own game, we just want to know why such a large area is being taken up in a seemingly impossible to achieve by a normal player manner and if what it is being used for benefits the players or just the dev.

5 minutes ago, Magnus01 said:

ok so devs abusing their own game and having active accounts on the only public server for their personal use thats a big NO NO WTF

Oh oh, easy there with the accusations :D

To all we know this could just be happening in order to test something. As counter hypothesis: this might as well be based on a bug report by some player who said that owning more than a certain number of tiles leads to bug xyz. Or maybe that area has been reported to be bugged. Or even something completely different. And this being done on the live server can easily be justified by everything being in active development beta status. Maybe it's even required to do it here if it only happens at current circumstances only present in the live system.

The thing is: we don't know.

On top of this: nobody complained about Aphelia owning... err as much tiles as equivalent to 20km diameter (or even radius?) around it? And nobody accuses GMs of cheating when they teleport players around? Come on, I think we can relax. I'm sure NQ-Sophon won't turn his power against the player population or build some dark empire or take our fun away ;) 

52 minutes ago, Dashivax said:

It is pretty normal for developers to play their own games, but not with a character that is obviously playing by different rules or with advantages.

With the exponentially increasing cost of placing an additional territory unit on the same planet, it is impossible for a single character to own this many territories on the same planet.

I bought into the idea and vision of this game being a totally player created universe. The below serves to remind the players that there are beings in this universe that play by a different set of rules.

qerwerreqwer.png.ef17b18b596de94d990676fb647aaa5d.png

Not 100% sure of price increase but think I could have an area like that if I wanted..... just saying

12 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Not 100% sure of price increase but think I could have an area like that if I wanted..... just saying

The second territory unit you place on the same planet costs 120k, and the price quadruples from there for each additional unit. Placing 37 units costs 141,670,994,486,089,000,000,000,000 which is a number so large that it will be unlikely the entire population of the game would acquire this much wealth in many decades of playing the game.

The fact that you think you could have an area like that if you wanted is testament to the power of the idea that this is entirely a player driven game world where we are in control. Unfortunately, the developer is currently flaunting the reality that they can make an impact on the game world in a way that goes around the limitations placed upon the rest of us.

7 minutes ago, Iorail said:

Holy mother of conspiracy thread people!

This could be a test area

This could be a future site been built up to store whatever

This could whatever the hell the dev’s want it to be and they don’t have to explain why they have it

?‍♂️

test servers are usually located on the left or right of the public server, please fasten your seatbelts before take off

10 minutes ago, Iorail said:

This could whatever the hell the dev’s want it to be and they don’t have to explain why they have it

I believe the purpose of this thread can be seen in the very first word of the title. Asking the question; why does this area exist?

There are no conspiracy theories here, thanks for agreeing that we do not know why this place exists and we should ask for more information from the devs.

15 minutes ago, Dashivax said:

The second territory unit you place on the same planet costs 120k, and the price quadruples from there for each additional unit. Placing 37 units costs 141,670,994,486,089,000,000,000,000 which is a number so large that it will be unlikely the entire population of the game would acquire this much wealth in many decades of playing the game.

The fact that you think you could have an area like that if you wanted is testament to the power of the idea that this is entirely a player driven game world where we are in control. Unfortunately, the developer is currently flaunting the reality that they can make an impact on the game world in a way that goes around the limitations placed upon the rest of us.

Are you sure it is that much, will need to pay attention next time, sure I was still only paying 120,000 and I have more than two tiles on Alioth.  Would also suggest that there is a valid reason, far more likely to be something game related being put there.

6 minutes ago, Dashivax said:

I understand this was not really the point of the discussion but I just wanted to  clarify that the cost for TCU deployment is actually quadratic and appears to follow  Cost = (120E3)*x^2-(240E3)*x +120E3 where x is the total number of TCUs you have deployed including the one you are about to deploy.  In theory that would lead to an overall cost of $1,944,720,000 for 37 active TCUs. 

With regards to the actual topic I think its fine to make an inquiry about it, but be aware that the developers might not be able to comment right away since it is a weekend. Try to keep the speculation to a minimum for now everyone.

59 minutes ago, Iorail said:

?‍♂️

The absurdity is in that if Devs wanted to be sneaky and doing scary bad things they'd be doing it with non NQ-Name alts.

Complaining about NQ-Whatever owning something is pretty absurd.

Oh no - a dev holds 37 territories!

I saw those territories yesterday long before this post and couldn't possibly care less.

I'd be concerned if a player had them - but devs, in a beta? Who cares....well I suppose apparently I know "who" cares - the OP - but it's pretty silly...

It's not about NQ characters owning tiles, I have no problem with that.  It's about having them doing god like things in the game (when not offering support or moderating), that no other player can do. The next logical step is that soon there will be something placed on those tiles. And judging from the number of tiles it will be something no player or even org would be able to do, in the time frame we are talking about.

5 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

It's not about NQ characters owning tiles, I have no problem with that.  It's about having them doing god like things in the game (when not offering support or moderating), that no other player can do. The next logical step is that soon there will be something placed on those tiles. And judging from the number of tiles it will be something no player or even org would be able to do, in the time frame we are talking about.

Sooo?

I don't understand how this affects you.

I don't care if if the dev claims 100 tiles and builds a giant statue of themselves complete with a 30ft dong as a testement to their alpha male status.

4 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

If it only affected me, there would be no problem. But it affects the entire premise of the game and what should and should not be possible. "Look at that! It must have taken ages to build?  Nhaa, it is a NQ thing so it just popped up yesterday at lunch time."

So it doesn't actually affect you except for your weird sense of head canon of what should and shouldn't be possible.

Man it's going to blow your mind when entire planets show up....complete with markets and everything....

So just to make this thread a little more interesting, I have been selling sanctuary territory units all day, one guy bought 10. I can’t wait until someone finds his place and freak out about exploiting cause you only get one!!???

oh yeah, I got 3 left if anyone want them...???

Now I want that area owned by NQ to be a huge gigantic jail where they put you if you exploit/cheat and they shred your ships in front of you image.png.ec1411a29ce3e43b2dc239489481bdba.png

5 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Wot? You mean like the marketplaces and Districts that existed by magic before a single player had left the Arkship? All of that is "something no player or org would be able to do in the time frame we are talking about."

Get a grip.

50 minutes ago, Kezzle said:

Wot? You mean like the marketplaces and Districts that existed by magic before a single player had left the Arkship? All of that is "something no player or org would be able to do in the time frame we are talking about."

Get a grip.

Aphelia (lore) not the same as NQ employee (the boss no less).