Limited mobile industry elements

Kinson

First off amazing game, that needs to be said. Secondly apologies if this was already suggested.

I recognize and applaud the decision to not allow industry on ships (why build a static construct when you can have a mobile factory) but I'd like to suggest introducing a mobile/dynamic fuel industry element and the same for a mobile scrap industry element that can be placed on dynamic cores. For balance you could restrict or reduce the output compared to its static counter-part, in the form of longer craft time/smaller output or decreased efficency. You could also limit the number of mobile elements by core size, until a suitable power system is in the game. From my point of view, it's benefits would be three fold; greater independence when exploring space/getting caught out less often out of fuel, something to do/manage during long space flights (I hope DU will get much bigger in the near future) and finally I think its fitting with sci-fi genre (deep space ships need to be able to autonomously refuel). 

Instead of something complicated like this why not just limit it to the large dynamic core? That way only the largest of ships could provide industrial options and once power is implemented it would be limited further by moving since your engines and such would need that power as well, also more risk since your ship and all that industrial equipment could get blown up. :) 

Thats an option, although I might not have been clear on what I was intending. Wrote the original post pretty late ?

I dont think they should make general industry available on dynamic cores. I was think just fuel and scrap, the idea would be that those they are also a self contained refinery. So you pop ore  in and get fuel (or scrap back), they should be fairly inefficient, only produce 50% of the output over twice as long, i.e. Its better to use static industry to produce your main fuel, but if you find yourself out at a planet without the fuel to get home it could be a boon ? 

You can probably tell this is coming from a player who has overestimated his fuel reserves more than once ?

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2020 at 3:10 PM, Aiwhisper said:

Instead of something complicated like this why not just limit it to the large dynamic core? That way only the largest of ships could provide industrial options and once power is implemented it would be limited further by moving since your engines and such would need that power as well, also more risk since your ship and all that industrial equipment could get blown up. :) 

This would be awesome because what benefit would larger and larger ships be if you can't find some use other then just bigger and bigger haulers/carriers. I would like to have a mobile mining base. Just so I can refine some of the ore while we mine. I would be fine if it limited on the number of industry elements.