Anyone knows how many layers of steel plate is required to resist L railgun?

lucagrabacr

47 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

I have a vague recollection of JC mentioning this in a podcast or some interview,  but I am not sure and I am definitively not going to rewatch every DU video just to confirm. So I will settle with opinion. But still the opinion that makes most sense as a whole when you look at how other parts of the game mechanics work with Newtonian physics etc.

And regardless, the main point is that if ships are subjected to Newtonian physics in the game (with whatever ingame restrictions applied) then so should weapons. A space rocket is by definition just a small spaceship with no crew.

Look, in the end I'd actually prefer slow boating to be safer than warp. Regardless what we call 30k. Warp should be expensive and risky undefended. If that becomes the case then I'm fine with whatever measures to make showboating safer, like guns cant fire on a target moving 25k+ or something. But its still to be seen what NQ does with interdiction. 

29 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

So I will settle with opinion. But still the opinion that makes most sense as a whole when you look at how other parts of the game mechanics work with Newtonian physics etc.

Except it's not.

If "max speed" is actually "light speed" you have to come up with a whole slew of different technologies for sensors. Or you will "never see them coming".

Just because F=ma still applies doesn't mean that space engines are any technology we've ever seen. Even setting aside for the moment the issue of maximum speed being "light speed" or not, they're obviously not reaction mass engines because whatever mass they'd be chucking out the back, it would be going faster than max speed, in order to generate the impulse that those engines manage from the mass they consume. So the engines are already a handwave. Adding a "max speed" doesn't noticeably increase the deviation from reality. A "maximum speed" for an exotic, unexplained propulsion tech is as nothing compared to planets that don't move or rotate (but still have days somehow) and all the other things that are put in for gameplay purposes like the maaneuver tool and respawn pads. 

But making 8000m/s = the speed of light forces a whole heap of other things to be reworked and handwaved. Sensors especially. It also means that when and if the servers get more capable of handling things moving at that speed, the speed of light has to increase to permit it.

29 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

And regardless, the main point is that if ships are subjected to Newtonian physics in the game (with whatever ingame restrictions applied) then so should weapons. A space rocket is by definition just a small spaceship with no crew.

On this, we can agree.

4 hours ago, Kezzle said:

On this, we can agree.

Then we don't have to discuss any more. I actually don't care if it is light speed or not, just as long as the playing field is equal for ships and weapons. Light speed just makes it obvious why weapons should not work as they do now.

And as a side note, long range radar in a more RL space scenario is actually a very technical topic. Since you would get all the problems we have mentioned earlier with inverse square, light speed delays and even time dilation.