Relocate Cache Folder without reinstall

Guest Tiramon

During installation i didn't spend much attention to the location of the cache folder, i was expecting that it will store a few GB and everything will be fine with default location

Then my Org made a trip to another planet, my cache grew by around 10-15GB during that time. Not 100% sure about the amount but i emptied 2 times around 5GB on that hard drive because disk was full.

After some talk i was told that the only way to relocate the cache folder is to reinstall.

All i want is a simple settings option that will change the cache folder.

I don't care if the folder starts empty at best it will move just the old folder to the new location.

And since i installed anew to change the folder ... currently you say in the installer that the cache folder will require around 5GB ... maybe you should adjust that information, that it can grow much bigger when visiting multiple planets

Time to learn about the wonders of symbolic / hard folder links.

I just tested this and it works great.

What you want to do is move the Dual-Universe-Cache folder to where you want it, let's say from C:\Games\Dual-Universe-Cache to D:\SpaceHog\Dual-Universe-Cache.

Then, open command line (win+r, cmd, enter) and type the following (as an example using the above locations)

mklink /J C:\Games\Dual-Universe-Cache D:\SpaceHog\Dual-Universe-Cache

As per the guide linked, paths with spaces will need " around them.

This will create a hard directory link in the original cache location pointing to the new location. To Windows / the game, it's as if the folder were still in the install location.

• 3 weeks later...

you know... you can justr run the installer again, point to the same install location, make a new cache location and it's done.
No game files will be removed nor overwritten, and the new cache location is (obviously) empty. Copy your old cache files over, Done.

No need to create hard/reference links on your filesystem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 10:54 AM, genXcQ said:

you know... you can justr run the installer again, point to the same install location, make a new cache location and it's done.
No game files will be removed nor overwritten, and the new cache location is (obviously) empty. Copy your old cache files over, Done.

No need to create hard/reference links on your filesystem.

That didn't work for me.

Edit: Did some poking around and found the cache setting in the registry using regedit.

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Novaquark\DualUniverse\Settings

Change the CacheFolder data to whatever directory you want and close.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 8:37 PM, NoRezervationz said:

That didn't work for me.

Edit: Did some poking around and found the cache setting in the registry using regedit.

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Novaquark\DualUniverse\Settings

Change the CacheFolder data to whatever directory you want and close.

The registry edit worked for me. Thank you.