Unbelievably high CPU, Memory, and GPU usage

Guest BMaverick

Why go to all the trouble of developing such a complex voxel tech core and single shard server for a bitcoin scam? You would make an easy to develop game with low maintenance and high addiction that appeals to millions of computer dumb people rather than a niche voxel builder that appeals to techy types.

People love to presume a lot about the tech without evidence...the idea that DU runs poorly simply because it is an MMO and requires complex network interactions isn't backed up by facts. If that were the case, CPU/GPU usage wouldn't be spiking so severely for no evident reason. 

Also...optimizations can't just be an afterthought that happens late in dev.

When devs talk about beta-phase optimizations, they don't mean re-writing core aspects of the engine (like how voxels are highly dependent on CPU)...adjusting some shaders, optimizing models, and fixing small issues can yield a lot of performance, but there's a limit to how deep you can go before you're ripping up the core and potentially refactoring huge quantities of code that depend on said core. 

Ever done a build that becomes a nightmare because you didn't plan things out? And it seems like fixing it would be many, many times more work than starting over...?

DU doesn't have a custom engine...so already there's limits to low-level optimizations. Normally, you'd trust the engine's developer to optimize....but Unigen2 isn't exactly a big name known for well-optimized AAA titles...in fact, it is mostly used for benchmarking and has very few titles to it in general. The titles it does have tend to be simple games like puzzles (or canceled projects that were never released). 

The choices you make early in dev are absolutely critical. 

The bitcoin thing is no more than a laugh really. It can easily be detected and anyone with IDA skills would be happy to make himself a rep of "self-employed security researcher" blabla by finding and disclosing it. NQ know that.

I think the terrible performance is due to

1) The programming philosophy at NQ is currently: Let's just make it work somehow, performance doesn't matter

2) By the time and if the game gets popular, user PCs will be faster (like RTX 30xx series) etc.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:03 AM, XKentX said:

<sarcasm>how do devs supposed to hold it with sub at only 6$/month when all the games are like 10-14$/month ? They compensate with bitcoin miner.</sarcasm>

This was one of my suggestions when I melted my old 4770k/1080Ti rig with this game in early spring this year.  You could be sitting still and suddenly the cpu would spike to 100%...
Strangely, when I removed all OCing from the 4770k the machine ran silently and I noticed no actual performance difference, even though temps went down from 95+ to about 65... which is why I suggested that they might be using all spare capacity for bitmining.

I then made a slightly less tongue in cheek comment that they might be handing off physics or telemetry sanity checks by offloading server tasks to random clients' machines.
This would explain why even in an empty area there is about a 1 second lag or even more between my main and alt account.

p.s.

I'm currently running 3900x and RTX3080 and when I set the graphics to 2160p the RTX3080 is maxing out at 100% and several threads of the CPU are at 100%, too.
Thankfully, it's a Zotac, so it's still quiet, temps are in the low 70s and its still playable.

And that's just when staring into emptiness.

Considering the "quality" of the graphics, this makes no sense... Even Star Citizen has better frame rates. LOL

The offloading part of some stuff to clients randomly can be a nice tech tbh. Of course it brings a lot of questions about reliability etc but benefits are obvious. Our rigs run anyway and they have a lot of computing power in both CPU and GPU. if while playing it calculates stuff to make the game work better I am all for it. Even if that something is a market transaction 500su away as next time mine will be calculated faster by someone too.

11 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

I then made a slightly less tongue in cheek comment that they might be handing off physics or telemetry sanity checks by offloading server tasks to random clients' machines.
This would explain why even in an empty area there is about a 1 second lag or even more between my main and alt account.

p.s.

I'm currently running 3900x and RTX3080 and when I set the graphics to 2160p the RTX3080 is maxing out at 100% and several threads of the CPU are at 100%, too.
Thankfully, it's a Zotac, so it's still quiet, temps are in the low 70s and its still playable.

And that's just when staring into emptiness.

Considering the "quality" of the graphics, this makes no sense... Even Star Citizen has better frame rates. LOL

I would be utterly shocked if this was the case...that's way more complexity than is plausible, IMO. 

Remember that NQ doesn't have their own game engine.

This sort of tech would likely require them to develop their own engine -- and create a massively complex system to implement their own blockchain/torrent-driven physics system when physics are perfectly fine running client-side. 

Lag is easy to explain -- they picked a bad game engine that they'll never be able to fix.

Unigen2 is designed for benchmarking, not production games. There's no way to ever fix low-level code issues.

There's zero evidence this engine can actually scale because people just don't use it for large professional projects. Every MMO that's tried to use Unigen2 has been cancelled already (though to be fair, there's only a few examples of games using this engine, so not exactly a real sample size lol). 

We'll just have to live with the fact that DU is going to run less effectively than more professional titles that either develop their own engines or use a commercial engine with a track record of success. 

I'll be honest, had horrible lag at markets, switched over to a Ryzen 5 , seemingly, the whole thing really sped up. Moved the cache onto a USB3 flash-drive as well. Note sure which had a good boost. Though the CPU changed really did smooth things out. I was on a FX 8350, the voxel tech really does get a boost moving up in CPU's.

Just as an observation.

There is definitely something horribly overworking the GPU during sunrise. I have confirmed this three sunrises in a row with the exact same results (yeah, it was a long session just now)

Normal GPU usage 76% anywhere in my home tile.

Sunrise GPU usage 99%-100% anywhere in my home tile.