Unbelievably high CPU, Memory, and GPU usage

Guest BMaverick

Guest BMaverick

Why does this game run my 9700k and 2080 super at max capability and still looks like *gestures broadly*. Even staring at the ground it maxes everything out including RAM. Has anybody found a fix or is it just the poor optimization at this point?

I suspect that there's no occlusion culling for voxel calculations and it's always doing something regarding every bit of terrain within loading distance of you...

the game is horrifically unoptimized

so far, I've seen nothing voxel-wise that's superior to even Space Engineers or Planet Explorers yet it uses 5x the resources.

4 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

I suspect that there's no occlusion culling for voxel calculations and it's always doing something regarding every bit of terrain within loading distance of you...

so far, I've seen nothing voxel-wise that's superior to even Space Engineers or Planet Explorers yet it uses 5x the resources.

It's almost worse than Ark when it first came out lol the optimization is just not there. I'm not risking cpu health to play this game. Absolutely thrilled I spent $20 to find that out.

10 hours ago, Guest BMaverick said:

Why does this game run my 9700k and 2080 super at max capability and still looks like *gestures broadly*. Even staring at the ground it maxes everything out including RAM. Has anybody found a fix or is it just the poor optimization at this point?

It's weird how it doesn't do this to everyone's rig. Not judging, just saying there's something going on somewhere...

FX 8350 and GTX 1060 + 16 GB of ram, game on ssd, playing in window with a bit bigger than 1440p window area. (Un)fortunatelly I don't have this problem. I have mostly smooth gameplay, i can even fly around markets on sanctuary with not perfect, but perfectly playable framerate.

Looks like something bad is going on and certainly not really affecting anyone.

10 hours ago, Emptiness said:

so far, I've seen nothing voxel-wise that's superior to even Space Engineers

Try making an actually circular curve in Space engineers with voxel blocks and come back to us..

If you see nothing different about how DU handles voxels then I guess you are either visual impaired or not really aware you can in fact pretty much free form voxels..

Just now, blazemonger said:

Try making an actually circular curve in Space engineers with voxel blocks and come back to us..

If you see nothing different about how DU handles voxels then I guess you are either visual impaired or not really aware you can in fact pretty much free form voxels..

Still no reason for it to consume so much computing power.

I do not know.

Optimization is certainly completely lacking if not completely absent. I expect it to be among the last things they will work on, just before the release.

Regarding the Voxel technology, DU is perhaps a little ahead of the times, but it has already improved appreciably.

Actually, the reasons why this may happen are well detailed here.

Besides not yet being optimized ( because, you know.. just entered beta which is the period where such optimizations would actually start to happen) the voxel engine is mostly CPU bound and uses AVX instructions which are wel known to by themselves be a "drain" on CPU resources.

The 9700K is an 8 core CPU and DU actually utilizes the resources it is given. Also, in the OP details a lot is missing.. What amount of RAM, how many screens and which resolution is he running. Also.. What are we comparing to here? just saying the game uses a lot of resources in itself is not a measure of anything, it is just an observation. Nothing wrong with an observation but also, no relevance beyond that, an observation.

I run in 1440p on a 3700X/32GB 3200 RAM and 2080 and mostly see 65-75% resource use when DU is running which is on par with games like SC, MSFS and others.

16 hours ago, Guest BMaverick said:

Has anybody found a fix or is it just the poor optimization at this point?

Buy more beta keys, so NQ can hire more core programmers to fix performance issues.
(having 32 or more ram also helps. Going away from the starter areas also helps)

My i7 6700K is pushed so much, it runs at the highest temps it ever has. More than what Prime95 does to it.

Game runs borderline "terrible" for me, mainly due to how slow every action responds, even looking side to side has noticeable delays before it actually does it vs when I moved the mouse half an hour ago. But when it finally does move, its pretty fluid.

First time I ran the game, it was maxing my ram. But subsequent runs, its only using half of my 16gb (oddly). Then again the first run crashed itself... so maybe it learns from its mistakes LOL.

Yes, my GPU jumps to 100% and usually stays there most of the time.  Where there really is nothing unusual happening with

the graphics.   What worries me more is just how hot my GPU runs - in the 70s.  This is the highest I've seen it for any game I've played in years.
Although 70s is still in the safe zone for a GPU, it's a bit uncomfortable when you've gotten used to mid to high 60s when playing a game.

It is heavy on the CPU as well and could very well burn out some people's components who don't have sufficient cooling.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:08 AM, Emptiness said:

I would suggest that the fact you are doing all this in a seamless universe which can potentially hold tens of thousands of people puts this game on a completely different level to SE or PE, not even sure how you can bring them into the conversation, not even slightly close in terms of server requirements.  It has nothing to do with the 'voxels'  and everything to do with the shard server tech.

Also some of us who have been playing for three years would argue that optimisation is not, non exsistant, there have been massive strides made in that time and there will be more to come.

Hello.

I installed game just yesterday on my laptop ( Intel 9750H undervolted + 2070mobile + 32RAM )

Almost immediately noticed that my laptop started to sound like a jet plane that is taking off -.- I checked my resource usage and noticed that my GPU stays at 99% usage +/-1%. Also my fans were at max speed. CPU stayed at around 15%. This is a pretty new laptop and I run must AAA titles fine at 60fps with much less noise and ultra settings while GPU never goes as far up in %. Must be bad optimization I think. I'm hoping this will be fixed rather soon. At this point it is unplayable for me. 

P.S. any1 tried to force some lower settings in config file somehow? Tell me what needs to be done plz.

9 hours ago, Moosegun said:

I would suggest that the fact you are doing all this in a seamless universe which can potentially hold tens of thousands of people puts this game on a completely different level to SE or PE, not even sure how you can bring them into the conversation, not even slightly close in terms of server requirements.  It has nothing to do with the 'voxels'  and everything to do with the shard server tech.

From the client perspective that is a network congestion problem, not a CPU/GPU problem. You could even make the argument that since the game is mostly network bound, cpu and gpu usage should be lower then other games. Ignoring the server load, there is nothing displayed on the client monitor that justifies the CPU/GPU load.

I have the same problem. This game just drain everything from my PC.

My PC is not high end, I just have i39700, 16gb ram, and 4gb video RX570, even with WTFast, the FPS are a JOKE. I am between the minimum and recomended settings.

the truth is that I never thought that I would squeeze so much resources.GROSS.

Is unplayable to me, and is frustrating because is I paid for 3 months...

I hope the proyect work better in the future u.u

I have an AMD Ryzen 1800X, 64 gigs of Trident Royal Z, and a Zotac 1080 TI Amp Extreme. I barely can play the game without my CPU overheating due to 100% instant Cycles. I can play many games on Ultra and Barely Hit 60C and for some reason this game instantly chews through my CPU. One thing i did notice is there is hardly any if at all GPU utilization. I would suspect that a system build of this nature should be able to run the game without running it below 1080P with every setting lowered to minimum. Thoughts?

If you don't have 8+ cores this game will not run as well as you'd want it to.

It doesn't matter how may fps you get in other games. DU does not work like other games because voxels. The entire game is just voxel cords and the CPU is tasked with processing them. The game divides this processing across available threads - so you'll see load on all cores. If you don't have enough cores, you are not able to process the data quickly enough.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/blogs/intel-core-i9-processors-reduce-open-world-load-times.html

@Mordgier I totally understand this, Same concept with baking in Blender. My thing is why does it instantly crank my CPU's to max beyond what a typical AVX should. The other aspect is this typically only does this on Loads into Situations, while regular game play while seemingly high doesnt crank like instantly like this. I am bringing this to light cause thier recommended cpu is a 1700 or better and a friend has a 2700 series and does not experience these issues like I am seeing. I would think being only one gen difference should not be this drastic that i have to play the game in technology standards that are over 10 years old.

Also note that an AMD Ryzen 1800X is an 8 Core Processor

• 1 month later...

Sad thing it happens also to me with a brand new Legion 7i with GTX2080, CPU is overheating like hell. So i spent 20 EURO to find out, better forget this game and go back to Elite and EVE. I will not burn my GPU and CPU for this Voxel crap. Sent out the info also to all my EVE friends not to buy this.

And to the person who wrote buy more Beta keys for make them hire programmers, i can say only i have five finger on my hand, think out what finger i show you.