NQ Pls address in the near future.

Guest Tberius

NQ PVP needs to be addressed in the near future. I say this because as it stands, once planet PVP is a thing, the game is going to turn into RUST in space. Currently the meta is building a layered box, with engines in all directions, and just camping others just outside of a planet. That's not fun, interesting, or engaging. It's simply griefing other players for the sake of it. Which is going to cause players to simply quit playing. The following changes need to happen in my personal opinion based off the PVP I have taken part in thus far.

- The space safe zone should stay for all time. This keeps trade and civilization going.
- Planets in the safe zone should be left Atmo PVP free for all time. Planets outside of the safe zone, should be Atmo PVP, but with heavy restrictions.
- Planets in the safe zone should never have Territory Warfare. Planets outside of the safe zone should have Territory Warfare.
- All weapons need their ranges massively reduced, and no more than 2k range. This forces players to have to actually fight each other instead of the current gank griefing.
- When a ship is traveling at 29,999 it should not be able to fire, or be able to be fired on.
- Weapons should not fire if the ship they are on is traveling over 15,000.
- Space Radars should be removed from the game.

I want to see proper buildings, ships, etc. Proper civilization. Not layered boxes. If we wanted to play RUST we'd play RUST. Making the safe zone a flat out PVP free area for all time is a good idea that will please everyone involved.

I agree with everything you said. The current PVP is terrible and frankly takes no skills. Make a tiny cube, put a weapon, and a radar on it, and just camp people. Territory Warfare is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. Let them fight in space and stuff. But just leave PVP off planets.

Yeah the box thing was a given, of course PVPers are going to take the easy win 100% of the time. People used to remove the textures from CS 1.6 back in the day to make it easier to see the enemy, they do anything to win doesn't matter if the game looks like ass, fuck PVPers that think like that man, I wish I would see cool designs fighting each other but not, make a box with a weapon and kill people just for the thrils is what they go for...

If this game is left to the PVPers it will just turn into RUST like he said above. Frankly they ruin everything till they get bored, and move onto the next game of the month. I want to see DU be successful, and the PVPers just want to ruin it completely.

The only thing I will add here for now, it’s that future PvP updates are way off, according to the roadmap, they are listed all the way at the end, so around 6-12 months from now, if nothing else breaks.

Also, I have to agree with the current space PvP outside the protection zone is silly, I mean, all anyone has to see it’s the few videos of people traveling at 30,000 km/hr and getting pummeled by rockets from a ship that’s not even there. So before they even work on atmo PvP, safe zones etc etc, this needs change massively. Again, way off the radar according to the roadmap. 

PvP is 1 of the 4 pillars of this game and it needs love too but right now it’s the weakest and silliest of the four. Hopefully they will make good decisions in the future and have it work better than what it is presently.

43 minutes ago, Guest Tberius said:

NQ PVP needs to be addressed in the near future. I say this because as it stands, once planet PVP is a thing, the game is going to turn into RUST in space. Currently the meta is building a layered box, with engines in all directions, and just camping others just outside of a planet. That's not fun, interesting, or engaging. It's simply griefing other players for the sake of it. Which is going to cause players to simply quit playing. The following changes need to happen in my personal opinion based off the PVP I have taken part in thus far.

- The space safe zone should stay for all time. This keeps trade and civilization going.
- Planets in the safe zone should be left Atmo PVP free for all time. Planets outside of the safe zone, should be Atmo PVP, but with heavy restrictions.
- Planets in the safe zone should never have Territory Warfare. Planets outside of the safe zone should have Territory Warfare.
- All weapons need their ranges massively reduced, and no more than 2k range. This forces players to have to actually fight each other instead of the current gank griefing.
- When a ship is traveling at 29,999 it should not be able to fire, or be able to be fired on.
- Weapons should not fire if the ship they are on is traveling over 15,000.
- Space Radars should be removed from the game.

I want to see proper buildings, ships, etc. Proper civilization. Not layered boxes. If we wanted to play RUST we'd play RUST. Making the safe zone a flat out PVP free area for all time is a good idea that will please everyone involved.

I believe that the box crafts that you see fighting in space will stay in space. Keep in mind that there are no planet-based restrictions in space. Once planet PVP is a thing, ship designers will have to address gravity, atmospheric resistance, terrain, and anything else that NQ adds to planets by that time. In space you can fly a cannon box, but in atmosphere you're going to need something resembling an actual ship, so you don't crash. 

I agree that the safe zone should stay PVP free, that way new players can get acquainted with the game without worrying about being blown apart. As for the campers, DU needs more time and players to combat this effectively.  Once there are enough players, with enough investment in the planets (Player-owned markets, Org outposts, etc.) These players will make defending the outer well of their planets a priority. For now, the campers are just something you'll have to evade, unless you have a large org with which you can coordinate the defense of any players leaving. 

In DU 30K represents light speed, which is why it is impossible to get past 29,999. So if a rocket is able to track and hit you at that speed, it is doing something impossible. Or something that has an astronomically small chance of success to be more exact if the rocket is traveling towards the ship, instead of trying to catch it from behind which would be actually impossible (for any type of weapon, including laser).

And for me it keeps coming back to one word incentive. In the sense that DU has a pillar more important then any others, it is that it is a building game. That is the core technology of the game that everything else is built around. And so it makes sense that this game will attract more of the creative type people then your typical MMO. People from Landmark, Second Life, Minecraft etc. looking for something to bridge the creative side with a MMO. Which brings us back to incentive. Why would anyone put effort and energy into creating, when it can be easily torn down by anyone with a gun wanting to kill some spare time?

So don't misunderstand me. I am not arguing against PvP. But the rules of engagement has to be clear. And there has to be a balance of creation vs destruction. Having PvP weapons bend the laws of physics as established by the game, while builders (potentially in the near future) are limited to a single resource scarce sanctuary moon and a single STU per player. Is not an example of this.

I agree pvp needs some love, but most of your points are off or over corrections. We still need more info and mechanics implemented for better balance passes. But I do agree in theory, once things get rolling after release, slow boating should be safer than warp in most instances. Not impossible but ya if you hit max speed I'm ok with guns not working. That ship has to slow down at some point, or if you catch it before max speed, etc.  I'm on the fence about current safe zone staying though.  It all really depends on how the pvp unfolds.

As for the borg cubes, there has been good ideas kicking around where like in eve, sig radius matters, so the guns can calculate voxels and cross section, so if a large gun aims at a cube, it can so perfect hits on it, obliterating it very quickly, while "normal looking" ships with Lowe sig and cross section will receive more glancing blows, and reduce damage applied.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

I'm on the fence about current safe zone staying though.  It all really depends on how the pvp unfolds.

This is simply numbers, math if you will. The real question is Are there enough PvP’ers to need the entire solar system as a PvP zone and can they solely support and provide the income necessary to continue to develop and run the game? 

If you leave only one moon for everyone that don’t want to PvP (This is what the PvP’ers want, only Sanctuary Moon as PvE), the game will fail, hands down. Lag will be unbearable, and no one will leave the moon for fear at getting destroyed the second they reach space, it just don’t work and subs will start to drop. People need space to build, fly ships, build space stations without the need of someone coming and destroying everything when the person is offline. The current safe zone is 3 planets, everything else is on the PvP zone, that’s 8-9? Planets and their moons, that sounds like a fair balance to me.

Disclaimer: cause every time I say this I have to also say that support the PvP part of the game and I’m in no way against it. I’m just looking at this from outside the picture and I want the game to be successful, but a full PvP game, this type of game, will not work and it will eventually die.

1 minute ago, Iorail said:

This is simply numbers, math if you will. The real question is Are there enough PvP’ers to need the entire solar system as a PvP zone and can they solely support and provide the income necessary to continue to develop and run the game? 

If you leave only one moon for everyone that don’t want to PvP (This is what the PvP’ers want, only Sanctuary Moon as PvE), the game will fail, hands down. Lag will be unbearable, and no one will leave the moon for fear at getting destroyed the second they reach space, it just don’t work and subs will start to drop. People need space to build, fly ships, build space stations without the need of someone coming and destroying everything when the person is offline. The current safe zone is 3 planets, everything else is on the PvP zone, that’s 8-9? Planets and their moons, that sounds like a fair balance to me.

Disclaimer: cause every time I say this I have to also say that support the PvP part of the game and I’m in no way against it. I’m just looking at this from outside the picture and I want the game to be successful, but a full PvP game, this type of game, will not work and it will eventually die.

To my knowledge NQ always supported some of alioth also being safe. My thoughts are just maybe make all of alioth safe then, and its moons and a small bubble around it.  Not sure about including madis and thades.  Also keep in mind if they do make alioth safe, that's the biggest planet in game, between the sanc moon and alioth you are approaching almost 400k safe hexes. Almost all other planets are capped near 60k hexes.  In my opinion that is a much better compromise between only sanc safe, and current safe zone. Plenty of room to move about. 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

As for the borg cubes, there has been good ideas kicking around where like in eve, sig radius matters, so the guns can calculate voxels and cross section, so if a large gun aims at a cube, it can so perfect hits on it, obliterating it very quickly, while "normal looking" ships with Lowe sig and cross section will receive more glancing blows, and reduce damage applied.

+1 There is already precedence for this in the game, with the frontal areal of a construct deciding atmospheric drag.

14 minutes ago, Iorail said:

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what I want or what anyone else wants, it’s what brings NQ the most money, and that is how the cookie crumbles.

Sometimes, making the best game brings the most money, not pandering to a vocal minority.  That had happened a few times in eve's history.  NQs orginal vision is a player driven universe in space and on planets. And ships need to be blown up. The rest is about making it fun and balanced. There really is no denying, more safe zones makes it harder for players to make the rules. And that was the selling point for me to back the game. Same with my friends.  To give you an idea, me and my buddy would often spend 1k USD a month on EvE online a month. We can bring that money to DU. But only If they stick to their emergant gameplay, where the majority of the universe is open world and players use in game tools to solve their problems, not cry to NQ when they lose a ship.

And if you wanna check my killboards on eve I can show you, we died all the time, we just only wanted to pvp, and the pve grind in eve is some of the worst I've seen in any mmo. So we would buy plex and sell it for money.  It doesn't Mean we were OP or only ganked newbies, or any of the other tired arguments a lot of carebears make.

I think the issue is larger than simple technicalities or even founded in applied sciences.

The issue is related to Humanities and and Sociology in my view. First of all this is a Game, we are all here to have fun, but at the same time this implies that there is no real consequences to one's actions, it is a game. No one really gets hurt. So this means that players will simply divide themselves between hunter and prey and go at it in many different ways as permitted by the mechanics of the game.

This will continue until the carnage reaches a certain threshold and it all explodes, it will be followed by Devs trying to address the problem and further alienate players left and right, until the game gains its reputation a a "niche" game, like EVE online...a Dystopia only good for "hardcore" people of a specific sort... or worse, just die, like so many other Sandox Games have because of the same mistakes repeated over and over...such as Darkfall for instance.

This has all happened before and it will happen again. I have seen it happen in so many MMORPG's since I play them, (and I play them since Ultima Online 1997)... but it does not have to be like that.

All this can be prevented provided that the Devs do not just expect players to Balance the in game life/society on their own like in real life. See in Real life real lives are lost, and people have an interest to engage in Diplomacy and Trade instead of War most of the time, or until some Narcissistic Sociopathic Leader charms their Troops to go on conquering their neighbors instead out of ambitions of grandeur, resulting in suffering pain and death.

But in games, there are no real consequences. Who wants to do diplomacy and Trade, and Building Civilisations when it is more fun to just destroy stuff and laugh at people raging? You can just engage in War until there is no one left, and move on to another game after that.

So in order for this game to be a long lived experience, that many want it to be (I am assuming Devs as well as many players), then of course there needs to be some basic rules in place, and the in-game society dynamics defined in such a way as to promote Civilization Building rather than total Anarchy and Constant Conflict out of which no Civilization in History has ever been built. Yes Civilizations have clashed in our bloody history, but before the Competition comes the Cooperation. Civilizations are built in Cooperation.

If the game remains an Anarchy in Space, and a Constant competition, no Civilizations will be Built. And then it will simply succeed in chasing away the Socializers the Explorers and Achievers, which are equally required for Civilization Building in Favor of only the Killers niche.

I hope it does not follow that path and does not make the same mistakes like so many others before it, it is still in BETA and many things can really change and be improved to ensure a good production release as a game with a positive and healthy foundation upon which Civilisations can be built in this futuristic Theme and with its amazing Technical capabilities, Voxel Technology etc.

It is not an easy thing to do, and a testament to this is all the Sandbox games that preceded it and failed no matter the theme, Fantasy or Futuristic.

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Duke_Suraknar said:

I think the issue is larger than simple technicalities or even founded in applied sciences.

The issue is related to Humanities and and Sociology in my view. First of all this is a Game, we are all here to have fun, but at the same time this implies that there is no real consequences to one's actions, it is a game. No one really gets hurt. So this means that players will simply divide themselves between hunter and prey and go at it in many different ways as permitted by the mechanics of the game.

This will continue until the carnage reaches a certain threshold and it all explodes, it will be followed by Devs trying to address the problem and further alienate players left and right, until the game gains its reputation a a "niche" game, like EVE online...a Dystopia only good for "hardcore" people of a specific sort... or worse, just die, like so many other Sandox Games have because of the same mistakes repeated over and over...such as Darkfall for instance.

This has all happened before and it will happen again. I have seen it happen in so many MMORPG's since I play them, (and I play them since Ultima Online 1997)... but it does not have to be like that.

All this can be prevented provided that the Devs do not just expect players to Balance the in game life/society on their own like in real life. See in Real life real lives are lost, and people have an interest to engage in Diplomacy and Trade instead of War most of the time, or until some Narcissistic Sociopathic Leader charms their Troops to go on conquering their neighbors instead out of ambitions of grandeur, resulting in suffering pain and death.

But in games, there are no real consequences. Who wants to do diplomacy and Trade, and Building Civilisations when it si more fun to dust destroy stuff and laugh at people raging? You can just engage in War until there is no one left, and move on to another game after that.

So in order for this game to be a long lived experience, that many want it to be (I am assuming Devs as well as many players), then of course there needs to be some basic rules in place, and the in-game society dynamics defined in such a way as to promote Civilization Building rather than total Anarchy and Constant Conflict out of which no Civilization in History has ever been built. Yes Civilizations have clashed in our bloody history, but before the Competition comes the Cooperation. Civilizations are built in Cooperation.

If the game remains an Anarchy in Space, and a Constant competition, no Civilizations will be Built. And then it will simply succeed in chasing away the Socializers the Explorers and Achievers, which are equally required for Civilization Building in Favor of only the Killers niche.

I hope it does not follow that path and does not make the same mistakes like so many others before it, it is still in BETA and many things can really change and be improved to ensure a good production release as a game with a positive and healthy foundation upon which Civilisations can be built in this futuristic Theme and with its amazing Technical capabilities, Voxel Technology etc.

It is not an easy thing to do, and a testament to this is all the Sandbox games that preceded it and failed no matter the theme, Fantasy or Futuristic.

Cheers!

You typed a lot of words but it lacked substance.  For one, even pvpers agree to having "rules" that's obvious.  What we are against is when it gets pushed to a point where the game says "you cannot use your weapons, because we say so". That's exactly how it is in the safe zone, and the vast majority see the need for the safe zone. What we dont want is it continually expand where there becomes a point to never leave the safe zone and compete with end game  content.  

And there are consequences, losing a fully fit M core ship can be costly, and unless maybe a big org, replacing that in short order wont happen. Somewhat finite resources and time sink and risks to get them help those consequences.  And as you said it's a game, ships need to be exploding a lot, or people will eventually quit out of boredom. 

Guess what the number one complaint I see from new players on youtube and twitch? Its that the game is BORING. PvP and competition will remedy that. NQ knows it, the early game is not kind to newbies, especially since the market and economy are in its infancy. 

28 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

You typed a lot of words but it lacked substance.  For one, even pvpers agree to having "rules" that's obvious.  What we are against is when it gets pushed to a point where the game says "you cannot use your weapons, because we say so". That's exactly how it is in the safe zone, and the vast majority see the need for the safe zone. What we dont want is it continually expand where there becomes a point to never leave the safe zone and compete with end game  content.  

And there are consequences, losing a fully fit M core ship can be costly, and unless maybe a big org, replacing that in short order wont happen. Somewhat finite resources and time sink and risks to get them help those consequences.  And as you said it's a game, ships need to be exploding a lot, or people will eventually quit out of boredom. 

Guess what the number one complaint I see from new players on youtube and twitch? Its that the game is BORING. PvP and competition will remedy that. NQ knows it, the early game is not kind to newbies, especially since the market and economy are in its infancy. 

There is a reason for being long winded. This is a core issue and lots of different players maybe reading and it is good to give several examples that people can relate to.

That said, you understand the gist of it which is a very good start.

Now, you said PvP will just magically fix the issue? I am not sure it will at the level that you think that it will.

In my opinion, many of the people who say that the game is boring do so because many do not really know what an Open Ended Sandbox Experience is about, and are expecting some type of PvE to keep them busy. Many players of MMORPG's today are not accustomed to interact with other players to the level of a Sandbox experience of Empire building offers. That is one. Lets not forget this is the Themepark post Wow Era...Sandbox MMORPG is making a come back but just showing up will not make a game a success.

The other factor, in my opinion, and from feedback of my peers thus far is that the game is too granular in certain areas. In other words it requires too many steps too much time and too much effort to do certain things. Where in the long run it becomes boring.

So imagine now, on top of this you open up PvP and the possibility to lose that which takes too much effort and time to accomplish. You have a recipe for disaster and the road towards a niche game right there and then.

In my view, the key is to streamline and simplify certain mechanics, so that PvP seems like an exciting endeavor for conquest glory and sheer fun instead of a chore and a punishment mechanism.

In onther words, PvP does not fix things on its own, it always depends within what context it takes place.

In Ultima Online PvP was fun, because, while a player could incur total loss of their gear inventory and worn items, that same player could fall back in to the safety of their House, or  NP or Player Town where non combattant fellow guild mates dwelled doing what is fun to them and quickly re-equip themselves so they can return to the fun of the PvP fast enough to keep the play session fun.

Another element here, is that you cannot force all players to PvP because not all players are PvPers. A Civilization Type Game has to cater to all types of players which form the basis of a Civilization in the first place.

If you get in to a fast fight and you lose something that required several days to make...you can kiss this game goodbye! I will not stay around and neither will many of my peers and many other players. The game will go the same way as many others, due to lack of vision, and because PvP's consequence is Fun itself.

The consequence of PvP cannot be Fun itself. PvP itself must be part of the Fun.

And you have to Balance this in multiple levels now, from the Individual level to the Family type small Organization, to the Specialised Organization (crafters, pirates, traders etc) to the Large and super large Organizations.

I will reply about the "No shoot zone" next, since I do not want to scare anyone away with long posts, ;) haha

For one, even pvpers agree to having "rules" that's obvious.  What we are against is when it gets pushed to a point where the game says "you cannot use your weapons, because we say so".

Oh I agree as well, it has to do with immersion it has to do with the world making sense and it also has to do with the feeling of freedom.
I think it is a great feeling to have the freedom to make the choice to open fire, in a no fire zone, and having the freedom to accept the consequences of that choice.

This is so fundamental to the Sandbox Context. It cannot be an arbitrary mechanism that feels artificial. Right?

So the solution is Law and Order and its enforcement. This is why Societies and Empires have code of Laws to begin with. Again Civilisations cannot flourish in a Lawless Environment. And there are various ways to make this possible in a game. My favorite is Reputation/Notoriety system or if you will Security Status (more in line with a futuristic theme).

So we all came from earth on this Huge Ark Ship, and then what, we were all released like animals in to a Lawless land to destroy one another and end Civilization? It makes no sense...

So what I think the game needs is some strict Security Status/Rating system in place. And also these Rules need to apply everywhere with specific exceptions.

Why? Because this is the "Ark Ship Imperative", we are here to preserve and save Humanity, and as such everyone should be subject to  it and reflected by that security rating. At the same time, Human nature being what it is, a Utopia cannot be expected and Conflict is part of the Human Condition. Organizations and Factions with competing interests are just normal to happen, as well as individuals with own motives.

So Organization vs Organization Conflict could be permitted without penalties and consequences, this is part of territorial conquest which is central to this game, while Criminal Violence incurs Security Rating hit to the point of players disqualifying themselves from certain areas accessing Ark Ship markets, and becoming KOS (kill on sight) to everyone.

This gives players the freedom of choice and then consequence of the choice.

I think that these Rules should apply in the Starting Solar system to discourage criminality and anarchy. And then decide how to expand it beyond. Maybe in future solar systems there is no Security Imperative at all, and any action has no consequences, while in others it applies and is enforced.

This could even change based on the evolution of the game itself as more and more star systems are added the security coverage could also change. There is no reason why it should be something static.

Just some ideas to entertain. :)

A big problem with some reputation and notoriety, is people will just use their alts to do any business, traveling, trading in safe zones. In theory it's a good idea if everyone had one account, but that's not gonna be the case. People always game systems like that.  And NQ is in no way gonna say no to alts, as that's $$$$ coming in, along with no real way to re regulate it.

Yeah, I will just say PVE should of been included in the game from the start. However, yes pvp and territory warfare needs to be more clearly implemented. Furthermore, I see Lua as a massive issues for when it comes to pvp, because of numerous security  issues, and other possible abuses. Finally, I will say all of this stuff should of been included in the beta- what was the point of alpha testing if not to develop these systems and beta to make sure that they were implemented correctly?

All I can say especially for brand new players who not followed DU that NQ would be extremely irresponsible to turn on PvP on the current planets at this point especially without proper in game info as well as none stop out of game info to tell the players what and how it's going to happen... You can't have what you have now and flip a switch your player base is going to decay faster then your already lack of skill on doing a 40min rollback on major econ dupe a week ago...

I like DU please don't continue to go to the path of destroying this game with rash decisions. MMORPG's are suppose to adapt as they age.

9 hours ago, w1r3dh4ck3r said:

Yeah the box thing was a given, of course PVPers are going to take the easy win 100% of the time. People used to remove the textures from CS 1.6 back in the day to make it easier to see the enemy, they do anything to win doesn't matter if the game looks like ass, fuck PVPers that think like that man, I wish I would see cool designs fighting each other but not, make a box with a weapon and kill people just for the thrils is what they go for...

To tell you the truth, real space battleships should not be like battle star galactica or starwars.
Those movies made us think that space ships need wings or that space ships use speed to dodge.
In fact space ships use pure acceleration to dodge. There are no ailerons that can transform a velocity vector in another perpendicular velocity vector. That's air against the ailerons.

There are 3 types of real space ships.

1 - The ones that have no defense mechanism. (mostly because they don't expect to be attacked. Like non military or snipers)
2 - The ones that tank. Massive armor.
3 - The ones that dodge. Mostly cubic with fast reacting engines pointed to all directions.

On a final note. There are no rules in war. There is no honor. There is only the winner and how he tells the story.

9 hours ago, Guest Tberius said:

Widespread PVP was in the game design from the beginning of the project. Maybe NQ can sell the engine rights to some other company to make a PVP free universe. But DU is like this.

Now i do agree with you in some points.
I do think the 3 inner planets should remain PVP free. To allow new players to do their 1st space flight.
But outside those 3 planets, all should be valid.

In time, when more systems are added, maybe this entire system can become PVP free (with the corresponding resource reduction)

I don't think it's worth getting twisted up about current PvP. It's a placeholder, there, largely, to be able to say "Look! We have Pew Pew! Beta now." 

It is to be hoped that the eventual model of CvC PvP that is installed will have a few more factors than current. There are indications that some of the silliness underpinning it (like gold and marble armour) has replacements waiting in the wings for the teams to catch up with each other (have a look at the Talents for honeycomb production).

Posters above have mentioned several factors which can and hopefully will change the "combat meta", and the server tech will be refined so that even at max speed, any ambushing ships not taking measures to obscure themselves will appear on scopes as they should, rather than being able to open fire before you can even see them because the servers haven't caught up.

That said, this is a game with PvP underpinning it. If you do not wish to participate in PvP personally, you need to give thought to how you're going to provide for your defense in alternative ways. Basically, who're you going to pay to defend you? Bear in mind that war is expensive, and remember, folks, bullets cost money. We don't know what Territory Warfare is going to involve; getting the shield to collapse might involve a hefty bribe to the TU maintenance technicians union to turn it off. I believe the intent of TW is to make it impractical to randomly attack someone's base for the shiggles.

You're less protected in space, but civilians have traded in pirate-infested waters since the days of the Sea Peoples. If there are enough PvEers, loss to piracy just becomes a bottom line deduction that you have to account for. If there are fewer than that, PvEers shoule become the focus point of space-based PvP outside of corporate warfare. There will be plenty of outfits ready to sell non-combatants protection services, just for the chance of getting a meaningful fight.

Or you can do something yourself to reduce your chances of being intercepted. Approaching along a straight line between the CoM of your origin and that of your destination is a great way to get bushwhacked. If fly past your destination without coming into radar range, and approach on a variant vector, the chances of anything being able to intercept you are greatly reduced. You might need to add some brakes to your hauler so you can get through the detection envelope and make atmo faster than a blockade can react and bring you under fire.

But most of all: remember this is a very alpha-y beta and far from the finished article. Things will change, and hopefully our participation will come up with a combination of systems that we can all live with which doesn't need lots of artificial "you can't cos we sez so" distinctions. 

21 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

A big problem with some reputation and notoriety, is people will just use their alts to do any business, traveling, trading in safe zones. In theory it's a good idea if everyone had one account, but that's not gonna be the case. People always game systems like that.  And NQ is in no way gonna say no to alts, as that's $$$$ coming in, along with no real way to re regulate it.

People will always game whatever the context is. Rules or no rules.  It is going to be utterly brutal, and this is not an empty prediction it is based on data of years of player behavior in sandbox games, if there are no rules no framework of engagement. DU maybe the first game to attempt something technically advanced as it does, but it is not the first game to have Open ended Sandbox Gameplay, no holds bared PvP, Player economy, player housing player empire building etc etc.

Therefore it is better to have a clear framework of engagement which levels the playing field and the brutality is kept fun, and focused to the context of the game.

And by the way, multiple accounts is not an issue either in reality, to each their own and all account will be subject to the same framework anyways. Why does it matter if a player has an account for crafting and commerce in one organization and another account in a pirate one with a character for criminal activities etc? Plus, It is good for the game business too as it makes more money and can finance better ongoing development which benefits all players etc. If people want to spend more it is their choice.

Games like this attract wildly different interests.

Some people want to build and create. Some want to RP as a lonely miner or trader making a life in some quiet of the galaxy. Others want to be space pirates and live and die for competition and political conflict. 

The challenge with PVP is that it can easily make every other interest or activity irrelevant or annoying...

If NQ wants to build a rust-style game because they believe player conflict will drive engagement, so be it...but then they can't really advertise it as a "build civilization and be whatever you want" sort of experience.

It's really silly all the people like "this isn't minecraft go play something else"...okay...? Sure, blame us for advertising this as a massive-scale build your own civilization game.

Go figure, many people actually want to build stuff.