Help on building a ship with an M container

Valygaroddik

Hi guys,

so i built a cargo ship on Mantis with an M container on a S dynamic core. On Mantis i could leave easly the atmosfere, but now i'm on Alioth with 100t of materials on Alioth and i can't leave the atmosfere.

I have a L atmosfere engine and 7 M atmo engines. Do you have any advice to help me to leave the Alioth atmo?

Thank you!

36 minutes ago, FryingDoom said:

Rockets maybe?

Don't have the mats to craft hem and anyway my base is on Madis :(

32 minutes ago, AloofLibra said:

Install more wings, replace 7 M engines with one L, minimize frontal resistance

You think that more wings can help me? Don't they slowdown the ship?

Rockets are insanely expensive to craft and the fuel usage is off the charts, Plus they add more weight, so use stabilizers and wings. One thing I do besides that is get ride of any and all voxels you can’t see, every little you take out is one step closer at freedom.

Your goal is to stay above the attitude with less then 10% athmosphere long enough for space engine to kick in and achieve escape velocity. More engines will increase speed which wings convert into lift, but at <10% there is hardly any lift and a limit to how fast you can go before you tear apart the ship.

So you have two options.

- Add so much atmos engine power that you have enough speed while climbing to punch through using brute force

- Add more wings/stab so that you have enough lift to maintain <10% and let the space engines build speed until you have escape velocity (somewhat similar to how it is done RL, minus the wing part)

Another thing that might help if you're element-restricted is to train a talent or two in atmo flight (just the cheap-and-easy levels) if you haven't already. 10% more thrust and 10% more airfoil lift is an easy win, if you're not already stepping down those Talent paths. There's a Talent in one of the technician trees too, which adds a smaller amount to a wider selection of elements and doesn't say "when placed"; that's also possibly worth taking.

22 minutes ago, Anopheles said:

Also, put about 1% space fuel (and refuel in space) in and don't fill your atmosphere fuel tanks.  Weight, weight,weight.

Yeah, that free 20T in your pockets isn't for cargo. As the mosquito says, it's a great backup fuel tank... :) 

First off, I can just give you stuff, like more atmo engines, just gives them back next time you are on Alioth. Chat me up on the DU discord for that if you are interested.

How high did you get and how fast where you? Please tell me which sounds most like what happened:

A. The stone is my spirit animal, I did not move at all. (need more vertical thrusters, maybe other things once you have that)

B. Vertical thrusters lift me a little, but I do not have enough forward speed for my wings to do anything. (speed required for wings to lift you can be checked in build mode)
C. Oh I am a wonderfull airplane, I just can’t get a lot of altitude. (need even more thrust, try to lift nose slowly. "X" displays current speed as a line, play around with that. Wings stall if angle between that displayed line and direction your nose points at have to great an angle, usually 9°)
D. No issues gaining altitude, but as I get high enough my atmo thrusters don’t work anymore and I don’t get altitude anymore (you need a good speed to punch through the deadzone, where atmo does not work anymore, but space thrusters do not work yet. If you nose up like 45° you should still hit about 700 km/h before atmo stops working.
E. I can almost leave, my space thrusters start up (orangy glow) but I still cannot leave. (not enough space thrust to leave gravity, need more space engines)

Anyway, just tell me what you need. Remember you can slap whatever I give you on anywhere, no need to rebuild in any fancy way.

9 hours ago, Fendalton said:

How do you refuel in space when traveling 30,000km/h?

Once you're at max speed, you can get out of the pilot seat; you won't just stop (that only happens if you disconnect). And you'll stay with your ship so long as you remain close to it.

If you've hit max speed, though, you probably don't want to bother refuelling until you *need* to. Which, at least for a few transits is going to mean "once you've braked back to zero so you can correct your course". Stopping from max speed just to refuel is counterproductive as you have to use fuel to get back up to cruising speed. Space brakes don't use fuel and can kill all your vectors.

I think the advice about draining your fuel tanks was meant to be that you only put enough space fuel in to get to orbit or a bit faster. Once you're coasting in space at any speed, transfer the mass of the space fuel out of your mass-cancelling backpack into the tanks and set your transit burn going.

On 9/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, AloofLibra said:

I have 8 M wings on my hauler and 3 L atmo engines. ~800t cargo capacity

~1300km/h max speed

On 9/12/2020 at 7:08 PM, CptLoRes said:

Your goal is to stay above the attitude with less then 10% athmosphere long enough for space engine to kick in and achieve escape velocity. More engines will increase speed which wings convert into lift, but at <10% there is hardly any lift and a limit to how fast you can go before you tear apart the ship.

So you have two options.

- Add so much atmos engine power that you have enough speed while climbing to punch through using brute force

- Add more wings/stab so that you have enough lift to maintain <10% and let the space engines build speed until you have escape velocity (somewhat similar to how it is done RL, minus the wing part)

Thank you guys! I was able to leave increasing lift and atmo engines :D now the next challenge will be to travel with 1 L Container full :P Do you think tht i will be able to do that with an S Dynamic Core ship?

1 hour ago, Valygaroddik said:

Thank you guys! I was able to leave increasing lift and atmo engines :D now the next challenge will be to travel with 1 L Container full :P Do you think tht i will be able to do that with an S Dynamic Core ship?

Yes. I basically built a flying L container on an S core with 500 tons cargo capacity off Alioth with only 2 L engines, 6 Ms, and 2 M ailerons. It's pretty easy.

46 minutes ago, Biglulu said:

Yes. I basically built a flying L container on an S core with 500 tons cargo capacity off Alioth with only 2 L engines, 6 Ms, and 2 M ailerons. It's pretty easy.

I know that, but i was meaning that i would like even to make at the same time a decent looking ship xD

1 hour ago, runner78 said:

What I'm actually wondering, is there a use for the hauler engines? They are identical to the normal, engine but with longer warm-up, which makes them quite nonsensical, or is there anything else?

The take longer to get going but they use less fuel