Mining scanner results should include a directional indicator

Teufelaffe

I find the current mining implementation to be mostly fun, but occasionally extremely frustrating as the scanner tells me I'm the same distance from the deposit from multiple different locations that are quite a few meteres apart from one another.  I'd love to see a simple change to the scanner: instead of a circle showing you the distance to a deposit, you would have a triangle or a square.  A triangle pointing up would mean the deposit is at an altitude that is 15 or more meteres higher than your current altitude.  A triangle pointing down would mean the deposit is at an altitude 15 or more meteres below you.  A square means the deposit is at your current altitude, +/- 15m.

This would keep the same gameplay loop for mining, not make it too easy to find deposits, but eliminate a good portion of the frustration that myself and some other players experience when trying to find deposits.

Good rule of thumb is if your graph is climbing, do a 180°. If it's level, do a 90° turn in any direction. Repeat till you're within 30m to use the directional scanner (or arrive at the ore).

I do agree there should be more instantaneous feedback whether you're coming closer or not.

1 hour ago, Megaddd said:

Good rule of thumb is if your graph is climbing, do a 180°. If it's level, do a 90° turn in any direction. Repeat till you're within 30m to use the directional scanner (or arrive at the ore).

I do agree there should be more instantaneous feedback whether you're coming closer or not.

Nope.

dont take the last difficulty out of the game. ;)

5 hours ago, Teufelaffe said:

I find the current mining implementation to be mostly fun, but occasionally extremely frustrating as the scanner tells me I'm the same distance from the deposit from multiple different locations that are quite a few meteres apart from one another.  I'd love to see a simple change to the scanner: instead of a circle showing you the distance to a deposit, you would have a triangle or a square.  A triangle pointing up would mean the deposit is at an altitude that is 15 or more meteres higher than your current altitude.  A triangle pointing down would mean the deposit is at an altitude 15 or more meteres below you.  A square means the deposit is at your current altitude, +/- 15m.

This would keep the same gameplay loop for mining, not make it too easy to find deposits, but eliminate a good portion of the frustration that myself and some other players experience when trying to find deposits.

1000% please dont do this, would crazy easy to find ore.

20 hours ago, FryingDoom said:

Unfortunately that does not stop it showing ore in someone elses hex that is unmineable.

Aye. I got badly teased by some Malachite on Sanc. Moon. It was just over the border, and I so thought it might be just my side. :( Turns out I have Natron, which is no surprise, since I'm based out of Madis. Inevitable, really.

Please do not make it easier, it is a fun sort of minigame now.

Would agree that ore inside an un-minable hex should not show up on a scanner, bumped into some lumps yesterday though that we like 40% or 60% minable with the rest in an un-minable hex so I fear this may we difficult to achieve.

2 hours ago, Nodles said:

Please do not make it easier, it is a fun sort of minigame now.

Would agree that ore inside an un-minable hex should not show up on a scanner, bumped into some lumps yesterday though that we like 40% or 60% minable with the rest in an un-minable hex so I fear this may we difficult to achieve.

the planet is a sphere, so the deeper you dig, the smaller your area should be isnt it?

So its even more difficult to mine if your area is only half a hex cuz you are 1000m down and it shows your neighbours ore

Your hex is nowhere near halved by the time you get past any depth ore is found at. There's a linear relationship between the depth you dig and the diameter of your claim; you'd have to get halfway to the centre of the planet before your diggable hex was half as far across. Someone calculated Alioth's radius to be about 50km, so you would have to dig down to 25000m below "sea level" for the width of your diggable area to halve. That's a long, pointless tunnel.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:03 PM, Teufelaffe said:

I feel your pain. At first it was overwhelming and I never thought I would get how it works. However, with practice (and a little bit of youtube) most people will get how it works in no time. As the game moves through beta, tutorials on how systems like this

will be easier to start and more functional.