Controlling/owning a planet.

jmorrison51

3 hours ago, jmorrison51 said:

What percentage of territories do you need to own to control/own the planet/moon? I know in alpha they tossed around 70%. Have they implemented this feature yet? Have they settled on a number?

If something happened in alpha you probably should not be talking about it here. 

39 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

If something happened in alpha you probably should not be talking about it here. 

It was a discussion which was never confirmed. We are no longer in Alpha. Just because something was discussed in Alpha does not mean it can not be discussed again.

Let me rephrase it: 

Are there any plans on letting anybody control a planet/moon if they control x amount of territories? If so how much of said planet/moon would need to be controlled by a player.

5 hours ago, Dhara said:

Define, control?  What kind of game features are you looking for?

I don't think we need any coded feature for that though.  I would say you can control a planet as soon as you can defend it.

I agree.

For one, there should be no arbitrary effect of controlling a certain number of hexes on a planet. Not that I think any single entity will ever be able to afford the territory claim units to cover a significant proportion of a planet, if the costs to do so are properly set by NQ; if the Quanta-to-place cost increases faster than linearly, it will become  more and more difficult to find the cash to place the next TCU.

Control would be defined by being able to exert one's will over an area. That can be achieved by negotiation, threats, simple obstruction, or any other tools of diplomacy. If you can enforce a blockade, you could be considered to have control of the celestial body. If you can persuade other people to pay (taxes/protection money) and acknowledge your control, you have control. Any mechanism that suddenly hands rights to an entity for 'proportion of land controlled' is nonsense and shouldn't even be considered.

Something to bear in mind: the British Empire, ranked largest ever in Wikipedia, could never have been considered in control of the whole of Earth. As the biggest human empire ever, in terms of area actually controlled, it had just over a quarter of the land area of the planet. This says two things to me:

1. no entity in DU should even begin to approach controlling a quarter of the hexes on a planet
  2. no entity in DU should directly control a whole planet.

31 minutes ago, Fendalton said:

NDA was lifted, you can say whatever you want

Actually no. The NDA being lifted means you can talk about the game now. Theoretical conversations however from before the NDA was lifted are also fine. It is just the game and what occurred with the game and NQ during that period would not be.  (This is NOT legal advice)

1 hour ago, FryingDoom said:

Actually no. The NDA being lifted means you can talk about the game now. Theoretical conversations however from before the NDA was lifted are also fine. It is just the game and what occurred with the game and NQ during that period would not be.  (This is NOT legal advice)

You say "i would like for the game to have item A" 

You cant say "i would like to have the item A we had back in alpha" . 

The only thing you can talk from before 27th August is stuff that appeared on DU youtube.