why is it made so hard to move ui elements

Magnus01

so today after building another fighter i decided id try to figure out how to move the cockpit UI in the options menu because having it sit right in the middle of my view is very poor oversight buy the devs only to be told u can not and must use lua to Program it in and was directed to a 2017 vid that shows how to make a panel turn on a switch and bugger all else

Now i know the devs have LUA exp and a lot of the alfa backers have as well but most people like me look at the info provided buy NQ and the wikki  which dont even have the commands list at all and think i just paid 30$ to look at this mess of a ui and be told learn to program to fix it when the captin's chair  fills the same task and has the UI placed to the right out of center view angle so why not at least do the same for the cockpit

im not salty i spent 14 hours tring to even find information relevent to DU and how to do what i was asking thinking it would be simple but its not and it was the most frustrating thing ive gone through

first impressions last and the ui you have in place for people without scripting ability is garbage misplaced and looks nothing like the alfa vids you show the public

dualuniverse_2020-09-06t21h27m33s.png

25 minutes ago, Magnus01 said:

...look at the info provided buy NQ and the wikki  which dont even have the commands list at all and think i just paid 30$ to look at this mess of a ui and be told learn to program to fix it ...

That's your mistake, right there.

You paid your $30 to take part in a beta test.

Good feedback though.

41 minutes ago, Magnus01 said:

so today after building another fighter i decided id try to figure out how to move the cockpit UI in the options menu because having it sit right in the middle of my view is very poor oversight buy the devs only to be told u can not and must use lua to Program it in and was directed to a 2017 vid that shows how to make a panel turn on a switch and bugger all else

Now i know the devs have LUA exp and a lot of the alfa backers have as well but most people like me look at the info provided buy NQ and the wikki  which dont even have the commands list at all and think i just paid 30$ to look at this mess of a ui and be told learn to program to fix it when the captin's chair  fills the same task and has the UI placed to the right out of center view angle so why not at least do the same for the cockpit

im not salty i spent 14 hours tring to even find information relevent to DU and how to do what i was asking thinking it would be simple but its not and it was the most frustrating thing ive gone through

first impressions last and the ui you have in place for people without scripting ability is garbage misplaced and looks nothing like the alfa vids you show the public

dualuniverse_2020-09-06t21h27m33s.png

Most people think that the fact you can actually code the elements of the game is a MASSIVE bonus.  The idea of this game is you are part of a civilisation, if you want a better UI and dont have the skills, find someone who has and pay them to make you a better one.  Drop me a line, our coder would be happy to sort you one out, it has an artificial horizon, parking break, several assists - currently making me a drifting assist to messing around.

Also, not sure it is industry standard to allow users to customise the UI at all (a lot of games have fixed UI) let alone complete remake it using LUA.

The point  OP makes here is absolutely valid and NQ should have redesigned the basic UI for the cockpit before beta as in it's current form it is pretty much unusable. I've seen many people take off cockpits and put seats on just because of the really bad basic placement of the widgets and the fact there are none in 3rrd person with a cockpit.

Pointing at DIY Lua is absolutely an invalid argument as it is NQ's responsibility to provide a decent experience without the need to go fiddle with Lua which for the cockpit UI is virtually impossible to do anyway without using a programming board. The cockpit element is virtually useless at this stage on the basis of the terrible default widget placement alone.

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

The point  OP makes here is absolutely valid and NQ should have redesigned the basic UI for the cockpit before beta as in it's current form it is pretty much unusable. I've seen many people take off cockpits and put seats on just because of the really bad basic placement of the widgets and the fact there are none in 3rrd person with a cockpit.

Pointing at DIY Lua is absolutely an invalid argument as it is NQ's responsibility to provide a decent experience without the need to go fiddle with Lua which for the cockpit UI is virtually impossible to do anyway without using a programming board. The cockpit element is virtually useless at this stage on the basis of the terrible default widget placement alone.

The OP's point is that it is too hard to CHANGE the cockpit.

I totally agree that the UI in the cockpit controller needs sorting, but my point was that most people see the LUA element of the game as a positive, as opposed to the OP which paints it in a negative light.  If the OP had been - fix the cockpit UI! then no problem.  For the sake of clarity I wanted to point out the massive positive that having the ability to edit / create LUA was to the game.

I 100% dont want players to be able to edit cockpit UI easily, as it removes a job for skilled LUA players BUT that doesnt mean NQ cant sort the default cockpit AI.  Two different issues here.

As a brand new player who heard about the game when it went open beta, my first impressions were 'why am I sitting off centered in the cockpit' and 'how can I move these fuel tank graphs out of the middle of the screen, I can't see where i'm going. 

Hopefully in a later release the Dev's space them apart more, without having their user base need to code improvements for them.