Discord Moderators

Nightranger

I'm going to post this here, and say what I think - It's not insultive, not aimed at one individual, and isn't offensive, threatening, harassing or abusive. Before those mods get all uptight again...

So a guy was spreading FUD on the discord, complete lies, saying that those with the access 1 week prior to beta launch had mined all T3 - T5 ore off the moons, and that territory scanners are OP, He was salty because the moons are bugged with ores, However I called him out on this, for "Shitmongering" - He then proceeds to DM me abusively, but deletes his messages in-case if ever went to a report, I mean I can take it, the guys wound up, stressed pissed off etc... and the salt just turns into good memes...

Anyhow, He then proceeds to state an NQ Admin had told him what he was saying is true, so I called him out on it - Sorry but that level of shitmongering shouldn't be allowed, He was openly posting about it in the #help-tech-support channels... The NQ Staff member in there at the time did not correct him, and allowed it too manifest, Which is even worse tbh, A good hour went by before it was removed, by a moderator - Who then proceeded to warn me for calling the guy a "Shitmongering Idiot"... He said multiple things along the same lines countless times, with no moderator/staff correction, In fact for the last few days... Which is extreme that it hasn't been corrected or moderated in anyway shape or form.

So as a player, who sees this, I am going to say something and correct it, regardless of the words used, It is not right for people to spread FUD about the game and continuosly get away with it, with no moderation/staff correction for days...

Anyhow, The point of this post, is this - I try to do some good, and call the guy out for it, as another player is pretty pissed off because of the bug, but wasn't aware of the bug, and was listening to this guys FUD, I called him a "Shitmongering idiot" apparantley, (although the moderator has purged all my messages, so I can't say 100% i said those exact words... Just hope they have proof)... And I got warned for it within 20 minutes...

This guy has been spreading FUD for days, if not weeks, consistently with no correction or admin/staff/moderator intervention, Literally getting new players to think those who had pre-beta 1 week earlier somehow managed to mine all the moons out... Giving them some sort of edge against everyone else... with no intervention...

I call someone a shitmongering idiot, because of it all - and I get punished within 30 minutes.....

I then question this, in General and get muted for 24hrs for "Questioning my punishment" and apparantly trying to start a fight with moderators... There was nothing provocative/abusive etc within my message to the mods, but one moderator has clearly got a chip on his shoulder and mutes me for 24hrs...

If this is how the mods are going to work, It's kind of a game changer in the discord for me personally... They  will warn someone within 30 minutes for using the word "Idiot", but allow someone to negatively put the game down consistently over a period of weeks (30/08/20 - 11/09/20 by searching through his history on discord)... And when you question it, you get muted... Get out of here...  What kind of moderator allows someone to convince new players wrong things in the game which will put them off playing, for weeks on end, but instantly warn someone for 1 word..., and then mute them when they question it?

GG, All I can say - Last time I try to help the community if I'm gonna get punished for it, Maybe I should talk shit about the game and put it down to all new players, nothing will happen then I guess...

A lot of Discords use bots that focus on keywords, which highlight stuff like profanity faster than non-constructive or FUD type posts. 
Keeping in mind that a small mod team can't see every post in real time - and reporting posts/comments can help - it could be an automod caught you because of profanity and the other person just had non-constructive but non-automod rule breaking comments. 

RE: the "questiong of moderators", I haven't been to the Discord yet, but if there's a rule about it (No Discussion of Moderation publicly, etc.), I mean, it's pretty obvious that rule was broken. 

If I may recommend (unsolicited, of course) something? If, in the future, you get an infraction, rather than post it in General or publicly, reach out directly to a moderator. They should be able to tell you what rule you violated and how you can move forward without further infractions. 

Anywho, have a good one and good luck!

Calling people names because they call you names is not justifiable. As you freely expose what you said, regardless of what was said to you, any moderator doing his job will respond to that and give you a warning at least. As you then proceed to publicly argue the moderator warning  you literally break the TOS for the discord and get a penalty. Discussing a moderator warning/sanction in public is a general nono on any community forum/platform and is explicitly mention as not allowed.

All this has nothing to do whatsoever with whatever may have been said to you (or in general) by anyone else, this is about you using abusive language, taking a personal jab at someone else and once warned by a moderator proceed to publicly question that warning. The moderation team acted in an appropriate and measured way following the Discord TOS.

What yo should have done is use the Moderatormail bot to report the other person spreading misinformation in the first place. It is what the bot is there for.

Now if you want to argue that NQ has never clearly communicated on the presence of the bot and how to use it sure, you have a valid argument there. But then again, the bot is clearly visible and by it's name it should be obvious what the bot is for. Even if you did not know this, you see who the mods are and you see who is online so you can message them or even @moderator in the channel asking for  mod to come in.

Hi @Nightranger

Thank you for standing up against misleading information.
However, why it's understandable that you may be frustrated, there is an explanation for every point you've mentioned:

1) The difference in time to apply the punishment:

A mod may not have seen immediately the rule broken by the other community member. It could also be a different mod who see the other player posts and yours.
Moreover, until recently, we had a very relaxed policy in terms of moderation on the Discord. We are all (the Novaquark team and the Moderator team) for the freedom of speech. However, recently, with the populations growth and recent technical problems, some people abused clearly this freedom and made the Discord a lot less friendly that it used to be. The frustration is understandable when there are issues, but some community have crossed the line. So it has been asked to the Moderator team to enforce a moderation rules in a stricter way. The moderation has become suddenly heavy, maybe a bit too heavy, and some adjustments probably need to be made. Perfectly balanced moderation is not something  that easy, especially on a Discord with thousands of players. Though they may have had a heavy hand in that case, The mods have done their job.

2) Regarding the fact that the other involved person was a backer: 

It was never taken into account in the sanction. If he was let free to speak as he did until now, it wasn't because he was a backer, but because he started to do it during a time where the moderation policy was more relaxed. A few backers started to have an unacceptable behavior on Discord, and they got heavily sanctioned (and among them were some backers with a much higher level than the one you interacted with. Being a backer is not a protection nor a freepass to have a toxic behavior, no matter the backer level). 

3) The reason for the sanction:

On a global level, calling someone "shitmongering idiot" fall into the profanity field. You were not really muted for the word "idiot", but more for "shitmongering". While it was probably deserverd this time, it's a slippery slope to allow it, as others may use in other context, provocative and not necessary deserved. Though it's totally understandable that you feel frustrated to have been pushed while fighting disinformation, the punishment (30 minutes) wasn't that strong, even if it was maybe a bit heavy, due to the context. A simple warning could have work too, but again, keep in mind that there are thousands of players on the Discord now and it's not always easy to make the perfect call on the spot. After discussing with the Moderation team it was clearly nothing personal. Also, yes, though your post were removed (and a bunch of others), there is proof as some bot is logging removed posts.

4) The 24 hours mute reason:

Well, the rule you broke this time was pretty clear. It's the same on both Discord and the Forum, and it's a fairly common rule among internet communities:
"Do not challenge/call out publicly a Mod decision." 

@Braddock512 is right: If you have an issue, try to talk in private with the Moderator or at least one Moderator who is available. If you're not convinced by the explanation and you have very solid reasons of not accepting the mod decision, then you can escalate to a Community Manger (NQ-Naerais, NQ-Nomad or I). By challenging/calling out publicly, it can be interpreted as a way to make trouble and not really a will to find an explanation or a solution. It never ends with a happy ending when done in public. Because of what has just been explained, this rule will never change.

Ultimately, if you see someone starting spreading disinformation, if it seems the person cannot be reasonned, do as @blazemonger said: ping the mods. That's a valid reason to ping them. Do not take the risk of putting yourself in trouble by starting saying profanity. It's not because some around do that and haven't been moderated (yet) that it's okay to do it yourself in return. Moderators may not have eyes everywhere at any time, and again, keep in mind that the discussion flow is quite fast, making it difficult to spot everything, because the Discord hosts thousands of players. 

All in all, we'll try to improve the moderation of the Discord, to make it more adapted to the Community growth.
We just ask you to be a bit more patient.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

I really dont get why we can't debate moderator actions publicly. 

Are they afraid of something?

Dont they stand behind their ruling with logic?

In real life public debate helps to make sure courts dont abuse their power. 

And i have seen far too many abuses of power on this DU discord. 

It is preferable to talk about the ruling with the mod than going on youtube or reddit to do it. 

4 hours ago, Pseudolukian said:

I made the same and not he instead i was muted for 12 hours, and the result is i left discord and sorry will never come back again. I dont care any longer just because there are people working who have absolutly no knowledge what they do.

I made a comment with an English expression (regularly used) but the translation to the moderator's language was something bad.
Got a 3 day ban (on the 1st time was banned)
I was not warned. And I talked to several moderators about why I was banned, they did not even tell me the person who banned me or the reason.
Just "STFU and come back in 3 days".

On 9/15/2020 at 2:58 PM, joaocordeiro said:

I really dont get why we can't debate moderator actions publicly. 

Are they afraid of something?

Dont they stand behind their ruling with logic?

In real life public debate helps to make sure courts dont abuse their power. 

And i have seen far too many abuses of power on this DU discord. 

It is preferable to talk about the ruling with the mod than going on youtube or reddit to do it. 

Because this is not a democracy

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/14/2020 at 12:36 PM, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Ultimately, if you see someone starting spreading disinformation, if it seems the person cannot be reasonned, do as @blazemonger said: ping the mods. That's a valid reason to ping them. Do not take the risk of putting yourself in trouble by starting saying profanity. It's not because some around do that and haven't been moderated (yet) that it's okay to do it yourself in return. Moderators may not have eyes everywhere at any time, and again, keep in mind that the discussion flow is quite fast, making it difficult to spot everything, because the Discord hosts thousands of players. 

And yet if NQ want certain (and not overly hostile to everything) community to emerge out of current discord - NQ need transparency in rules and information.
Unfortunately NQ as whole is neither informative even about current mechanics nor its transparent - or exact enough - in its plans and this steam daily discussions on the same topics. Those tends to have varied misinformation level included - from complete false to interpretation bending on heavily depending on talker wishes. Amount of hidden insults - without use of obvious profanities, there is certain sophistication included - is also rising, enough that people who want to have civil discussions often shut up after dozen or so minutes. 
This all could be resolved imho with clear NQ communication :( which unfortunately we don't have at the moment. 

This all result in, as far as I can tell, discord becoming more hostile environment every week. Regular users (with my timezone there is dozen or so people who are active every day and all time I take a quick look what is going on there) are getting tired of repeating the same arguments all over every time someone pop with hot (pvp/safezone/etc) topic and starting to do it in less and less friendly way. Not to mention stuff like that - so banning people who actually try to prevent too much misinformation while not really doing anything to correct (and i'm trying very hard not to use words that comes to mind with some of more outlandish claims) misinformation - is definitely not helping. If only action is deleting stuff which was written 10-20 minutes ago it - sorry to say - is equal to mopping water from already dead motherboard. Everybody interested already read and filled that information and nearly nobody will notice it was deleted.

Some real information: T3-T5 is hardly worth mining on most moons because it is too rare to begin with, let alone someone mining them out. Go to planets for those ores to avoid wasting your time ?