Wonder if more RAM would help...

LolaHeart

I have an old a** PC and it's probably about time to upgrade soon. I did check the min requirements for this game and thought I'd take a chance on the game anyways to help support the game devs if nothing else. I logged in and can barely move my character, it feels like extreme lag and very jittery. I'm hardwired in and noone is using my internet but me and I have decent internet. Was thinking of getting 16gb of new RAM sticks, but not sure if that would help at all or if I need to just bite the bullet and fully upgrade my PC. Maybe the lag/issues are just an early beta thing and a lot of other people experience the same crippling lag at the starting area? 

PC specs

AMD FX-8320

GeForce 1050 ti 4gb

8GB RAM

250GB SSD (Game is installed on)

I would for sure at least to 16Gb, I just did this myself from 32Gb to 64 Gb but I live stream from the same pc, it made a huge difference. Also you VC is very close to mine, I’m thinking on updating that also, for me, but not to the 3070 that just came out, hell no lol, so I would update the video card on your PC as well, Good Luck ? 

If your PC can’t handle the upgrades, you may just need a new one, fyi

4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

16GB of ram is all you need for this game. Though if you have a ton going on in the background then yes 32GB may be better. I have 64GB of ram and the game isn't going above 16GB of ram.

Well, 32GB will help at this phase. But not that much.
Most of current problems are server related.
Unless you send the packaged ram to NQ for them to put on servers :)

5 hours ago, LolaHeart said:

I have an old a** PC and it's probably about time to upgrade soon. I did check the min requirements for this game and thought I'd take a chance on the game anyways to help support the game devs if nothing else. I logged in and can barely move my character, it feels like extreme lag and very jittery. I'm hardwired in and noone is using my internet but me and I have decent internet. Was thinking of getting 16gb of new RAM sticks, but not sure if that would help at all or if I need to just bite the bullet and fully upgrade my PC. Maybe the lag/issues are just an early beta thing and a lot of other people experience the same crippling lag at the starting area? 

PC specs

AMD FX-8320

GeForce 1050 ti 4gb

8GB RAM

I have similar specs, well I guess I have same video card, but an i3. I do have 16gigs but I played all thru alpha with 8. Here is where your issue is. This is a guess, but do you have an SSD? I have an m.2 SSD and a second 1Tb ssd. If you have a HDD forget about playing this game. Upgrade to 16gig and SSD and you should be somewhat playable (I dont linger in markets)

1 hour ago, JohnnyTazer said:

I have similar specs, well I guess I have same video card, but an i3. I do have 16gigs but I played all thru alpha with 8. Here is where your issue is. This is a guess, but do you have an SSD? I have an m.2 SSD and a second 1Tb ssd. If you have a HDD forget about playing this game. Upgrade to 16gig and SSD and you should be somewhat playable (I dont linger in markets)

I do have the game installed on an SSD and the cache onto the HDD. So far I'm basically stuck in the main starting building on the tutorial because I can barely move...it's a slide show basically. 

Maybe the i3 I have is just enough better? I do also lag at markets but it's not TOOOO bad. But when I fly to other planets it becomes a lot more playable. But I'm upgrading to an i9 and 3000 series card in a couple weeks. Seems your due for one too, this game takes a lot, especially since it isnt very optimized at this point.

You shoudl have minimum 16GB Ram.

It woudl be better to have 32Gigs because ther is also the Windows, sometimes a browser with tutorial videos, discord or forum, and other things you want to have open at the same time.

A friend uses also 16Gigs and with the Game and Teamspeak only open at the same time he hits sometimes the 98% Ram usage.

If he is then shuttling back to Alioth and moves fast there, sometimes the Game crashes because of Ram.

But regardless of the RAM, the graphics card and the processor are also slightly too weak.
DU is also very processor hungry.

Greets,

Luukullus

8 hours ago, LolaHeart said:

I do have the game installed on an SSD and the cache onto the HDD. So far I'm basically stuck in the main starting building on the tutorial because I can barely move...it's a slide show basically. 

Is there any point having the cache on the slow old spinning drive? You might get an improvement putting it on the SSD, even if it's smaller.

4 minutes ago, Kezzle said:

Is there any point having the cache on the slow old spinning drive? You might get an improvement putting it on the SSD, even if it's smaller.

Correctly.

It is one of the wrongest things you can do voluntary. Giving the Cache to a HDD is like giving a turtle life-saving medication to bring to a patient while you resuscitate him.

1 hour ago, Luukullus said:

Correctly.

It is one of the wrongest things you can do voluntary. Giving the Cache to a HDD is like giving a turtle life-saving medication to bring to a patient while you resuscitate him.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm gonna look into getting more RAM asap and then I'll re DL the game and put the cache on the SSD as well. Hoping the game will be somewhat playable with the slightly weak CPU and GPU. If not I will need to save and build anew PC. 

1 hour ago, LolaHeart said:

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm gonna look into getting more RAM asap and then I'll re DL the game and put the cache on the SSD as well. Hoping the game will be somewhat playable with the slightly weak CPU and GPU. If not I will need to save and build anew PC. 

One of the things i learned in life is that you need to let the old ones rest. It will not help you to have only RAm , you need a new CPU and graphic card . you will be lucky if you can keep the power source and the case to be honest. what you do is like giving a anesthesic to an old man dying. it will not make him walk again i am afraid.

3 hours ago, LolaHeart said:

You might be okay, IF you can get out of the initial spawn district. The emphasis markup and caps are deliberate and considered, because that initial entry into the game is the place where any weakness in your rig will be viciously and thoroughly exposed. Everywhere else, the problems are largely down to server issues, but even setups that are middle-of-the-range of DU specs struggle with FPS in the Districts.

Maybe that's down to people's cache being on HDD, but it's a challenging environment regardless.

game on SSD and from 16GB to 32GB never played this well before, with 16GB i coudent even fly in one go to a market , now with 32GB no issues anymore ,only the ones evryone els have to haha, so yeah it helps alot for me atleast.

i7-9700K @ 3.60Ghz/8 core's

32GB ram

RTX2060 

13 hours ago, Kezzle said:

The cache is in near constant use for this game.  Other users have said they noticed performance improvements after the move.  Currently my cache file is at 2.5gb and climbing.