Do you think there should be NPC enemies?

aliensalmon

18 minutes ago, aliensalmon said:

NPC enemies would give players more stuff to do but I don't think they are necessary. I actually think this game is a breath of fresh air because it doesn't rely on you defeating hundreds of enemies....

It's not much about "need". Its more about the effort to program that.
If you think about it. On EVE, ships don't have crew. Ships are simply a 3d model in a xyz point in space, with XYZ velocity.

Here a NPC ship would require a crew, able to navigate the ship.

On EVE, NPC ships are not exploitable, because not being made from elements and voxels, the programmer only needs to set a balanced loot function and a box appears with it.

Here, every NPC destroyed ship would be there for the taking with all its elements. Because of that, players could join up on big groups and farm those NPC ships easily. A lot of balance would be needed.

NPC enemies would have been quite beneficial from overal game health perspective. It's much more elegant way to pump currency into the system than giving out stipend on login every day. 

Additionally NPC enemies can serve as another avenue to to destroy player value ( system sink ) by damaging PC  ships,  combat consumables, et cetera.

Another benefit  would have been more varied gameplay, not everyone likes to do industry or pvp fulltime,  and to this crowd DU at the moment provides very few avenues to do anything else.

The most important question is the how random or frequent these encounters should be. 

Having said that, i doubt npc enemies are likely to show up in game anytime soon. DU at the moment simply doesn't have any real lore or support system  to build such gameplay  on the top of.