Ore Regeneration on Planets

DrakeBrimstone

As has been mentioned many times, ore on planets is currently finite, and quite frankly we are depleting it rapidly on the more populated worlds. Without some method of regenerating the ores on planets we will soon run out. That leaves us with the yet to be implemented space mining as our only hope of acquiring the resources we need.

But what if we could have Ore Regeneration on the planets without actually wiping them? Here are a couple ideas that could accomplish this.

IDEA 1: Regenerate Unclaimed Hexes

Any Unclaimed Hex will regenerate over time. Any dynamic constructs on the hex at the time it regenerates is moved to the new surface which may be different than the old surface but should be meshed with all adjacent hexes as best as the system can. (And static constructs can't be built on unclaimed hexes, so we don't have to worry about those.)

On Guarded planets there may need to be additional rules made for how close different players/orgs can claim hexes to each other, but on "normal" worlds where PVP is allowed the players make the rules, by force if necessary. Planetary Wars will be fought over control of hexes to keep them unclaimed so they can regenerate their ores.

IDEA 2: Vertical Regeneration

Over time holes underground will fill in up to the lowest point on an existing static construct on the hex. In un-mined/filled in portions of the hex there is a chance for ore generation over time. The chances should be based on how far above the "layer" the ore is spawning in has been re-filled and how rare the ore is, and how much ore is nearby. (Optional: players manually back-filling holes speed up the vertical regeneration.)

What if the ore nodes regenerate over time based on tier + time since last mined + random factor?

Tier 1 ores regenerate quicker than Tier 2, Tier 5 ores regenerate the slowest.

Heavily mined areas regenerate slower than areas that are left alone.

Some nodes can have a higher than average regeneration rate, making them more desirable than another node of the same ore.

Soil on UNCLAIMED hexes could also have similar regeneration rules.

This is biggest issue I see with future of the game. If ore is depleted quickly in a deposit it will just be stripped and they move along to next node.  Eventually you'll end up with one planet with constructs of factories/homes and such and rest of planets will be barren with just a bunch of holes.  I suggest making it rewarding for constructing the other planets.  Like you can go in and strip mine and move along, but as they hinted at in the coming soon...automining.  With autominers you could reward players/corps for constructing a mine on that node and building facilities by having the autominers mine at a slower rate but not deplete.  With this scenario you would see mines spread across moons, which could grow other industries around them for support.   I feel the only reason for finding another node of a resource should be for expansion, not because of depletion.  More mines = more productivity.  

I feel this solution would make all worlds living planets with growing economies and not just barren wastelands of stripped resources.  Also with this rule set I feel you should reduce number of deposits and increase size of deposit.  Finding a mine should be of value.  Something that is held or fought over for a long time. Not for the day til it is depleted.

I think the point is that it’s supposed to be finite so that we go out to mine asteroids once they are added and when they add new systems we have a reason to go out and explore them. So you will have to balance making a large central factory on a safe moon vs Building in unsafe pvp zones as well as balance the risks of going out and bringing resources back or buying raw on the market and using your skills in manufacturing to increase their value by making items out of raw ore.

Regeneration is an interesting solution, but very far from realism. There is an alternative:
1) Recycling of finished items. Those. the player can disassemble the finished item into smaller components - down to the ore. Thus comes a huge saving of resources for the future. But there must be some loss of resources during disassembly. And you need a special building for this - "Recycler" or "Disassembler".
2) Extraction of ore from sand. The sand itself also contains substances - silicon, iron, etc. - but in smaller quantities. Those. you can even not look for veins, but extract pure sand, then sift it - we will get different resources.
3) "Quark synthesizer". What is he doing? He can transform one substance into any other. But it doesn't have to be cheap, it's a super building.

particle accelerators smashing photons into each other to make new matter.  though few people could make this work without a super massive multi-L-cored ring(underground or in space).  add some particle physics voodoo(or is molecular chemistry?) to change carbon into vanadium(or is it gold)

the above first sentence is more or less working as we speak at the PA in europe, or particle, cant get my head around most of it<_<

15 hours ago, dmitrynest said:

Regeneration is an interesting solution, but very far from realism. There is an alternative:
1) Recycling of finished items. Those. the player can disassemble the finished item into smaller components - down to the ore. Thus comes a huge saving of resources for the future. But there must be some loss of resources during disassembly. And you need a special building for this - "Recycler" or "Disassembler".
2) Extraction of ore from sand. The sand itself also contains substances - silicon, iron, etc. - but in smaller quantities. Those. you can even not look for veins, but extract pure sand, then sift it - we will get different resources.

I really like these two ideas, luckily I think salvage/recycling is on the map to be added as there needs to be a way to get rid of damaged ships.

hopefully they do add some kind of dirt into ore mechanic but with Super low yields. Se did a great job of this where it requires a lot of power to run this kind of industrial units and DU will be getting power later on :)

Finding a lot of unclaimed tiles 100-200km out from main market hub full of holes already. Will the ore be depleted on Ailoth quick? I don't know. Not sure to be concerned or not.

Hopefully the minable asteroids respawn, or regenerate over time.

1 hour ago, Novatek said:

Finding a lot of unclaimed tiles 100-200km out from main market hub full of holes already. Will the ore be depleted on Ailoth quick? I don't know. Not sure to be concerned or not.

Hopefully the minable asteroids respawn, or regenerate over time.

Asteroids will probably be unlimited.

those holes are normally not super deep/still have resources  a lot of the time. My hex still had mountains of ore even filled with holes, since bring all that stuff to market is no easy task. One hex can easily fill multiple large containers with ore and you need a massive ship to move that much ore unless you spend the time making many trips. :)