Why is it called Dual Universe when it's a single shard?

Captain Amazing

20 minutes ago, BaconofWar said:

I don't see akimbo as an option for weapons so I can see the title being misleading.

Lol

I guess Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Java, C are all misleading names. 

Turkey for example, also another misleading name. 

Apple does not sell fruits! 

This is a quite unimportant topic. Because if you bought the game 100% based on the name, without any review reading or devblog watching, or even a basic read on the oficial DU site, then you got bigger problems in your life than a computer game. 

4 hours ago, Captain Amazing said:

Why is it called Dual Universe when it's a single shard? Asking for a friend.

I am not sure if it is the official reason for the name. However, what I have thought for a while is that the name is related to how death is handled in the game.

When you die, you are not resurrected into the same universe. Instead you spawn in an alternate, yet identical, universe where everything is exactly the same.

The in-game lore is that humans have "mastered the multiverse".

When you die you are "reborn" into the alternate (or dual) universe.

I believe this is based on the quantum physics (albeit absurd) theory that there are an infinite number of alternate universes and that every possible action that can happen does happen in one of those 'alternate' universes. Thus, in game when you die, you are truly dead in your universe, but your 'consciousness' is 'transitioned' to one of those alternate universes where you are not dead. Kinda silly imho, but it is only a game and I give NQ credit for a unique take on the re-spawn after death mechanic.