Future server informations and communication

Luukullus

Hello dear NQ Team,

I would like to discuss a problem, that I am sure many others would agree with.

I ask you to share information about restarts, updates or problems with the server here in the forum.

For example, you could create a new category for this (mayxbe something like: server status or server status messages). But this would also be possible in the area of announcements.

I have already received a lot of feedback on the Discord Server and I also share the following opinion.

The DU Discord server is way too confusing and restless. It is very uncomfortable for me to even bother with it.

If you create an area for such messages on this forum and make sure that no one can reply, only the information can be read, everyone can relax and read the information they want to have here on the forum and see what's going on.

Personally, I think communication is a major weak point at Novaquark, and this is able to create a lot of frustration and anger.

Let's fix that together.

Thanks and Greetings,

Luukullus

(Sorry for my bad english, i hope you all are abe to unserstand me correctly)

I have to agree i don't use discord as it's not a good place especially in a public discord. There is the announcement section in this forum which should be used more and would be a good place to provide information on server status, also it would be better it the information was put on the DU login screen so that people could see that the server is off-line without having to revert to searching the forum and discord to find out the server is down.

21 minutes ago, Luukullus said:

Hello dear NQ Team,

I would like to discuss a problem, that I am sure many others would agree with.

I ask you to share information about restarts, updates or problems with the server here in the forum.

For example, you could create a new category for this (mayxbe something like: server status or server status messages). But this would also be possible in the area of announcements.

I have already received a lot of feedback on the Discord Server and I also share the following opinion.

The DU Discord server is way too confusing and restless. It is very uncomfortable for me to even bother with it.

If you create an area for such messages on this forum and make sure that no one can reply, only the information can be read, everyone can relax and read the information they want to have here on the forum and see what's going on.

Personally, I think communication is a major weak point at Novaquark, and this is able to create a lot of frustration and anger.

Let's fix that together.

Thanks and Greetings,

Luukullus

(Sorry for my bad english, i hope you all are abe to unserstand me correctly)

Whilst I agree that the company should update as many outlets as possible not sure the issue with having Discord and just watching the announcement channel.......  personally I think communication is EXCELLENT on Discord, that is their chosen method.  Prehaps you are suffering from a lack of information because you choose not to follow their preferred method of comms.

Communication by and through third party programs is bad communication.  99% of games communicate or have help channels on the main forums and in game support channels.

I shudder at the refunds NQ will have had to shell out because support and announcements are hard to find.

It's also cluttering up these forums with errors and requests for help, even on the recruiting channel.

Nowhere on the forums and in this main forum does ot say "Go to Discord for help", for example.

7 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Whilst I agree that the company should update as many outlets as possible not sure the issue with having Discord and just watching the announcement channel.......  personally I think communication is EXCELLENT on Discord, that is their chosen method.  Prehaps you are suffering from a lack of information because you choose not to follow their preferred method of comms.

#1 If the 'chosen' method is Discord, why are there so many other official methods still in use? Things like the forum, News section, ingame channel, etc.

#2 Don't force stuff down your customers throat when you don't have to. If people have to do things (out of game) that they don't like, that will weigh in when it's time to renew the subscription.

#3 Discord in an 'ephemeral' medium, finding specific information is a bloody pain. That is great for the instant gratification crowd and things happening now, things that were announced a few hours or godforbid, a day ago are a pain to find!

22 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Many thanks for your response.

It wasn't my intention to completely rule out Discord.

However, I find the Discord server not good and confusing. Maybe I'm too old for it or just see it too critically. I definitely don't want to start a fundamental discussion about discord here. I only noticed that I am by no means alone with this opinion and therefore just wanted to have it addressed.

I also don't think I have to eat everything the way NQ throws it at me. If there are enough people who share my opinion, then maybe there is the possibility to use both sides, both Discord and the forum.

If it is as you say that you find it absolutely perfect to collect and find your information on the Discord, then you deserve great respect. That's something I can't do.

Still, I don't want to give up struggling to keep the forum active and informative.

Greetings,

Luukullus

2 hours ago, Anopheles said:

Communication by and through third party programs is bad communication.  99% of games communicate or have help channels on the main forums and in game support channels.

Probably replying on Google Chrome........ irony

2 hours ago, Cergorach said:

#1 If the 'chosen' method is Discord, why are there so many other official methods still in use? Things like the forum, News section, ingame channel, etc.

#2 Don't force stuff down your customers throat when you don't have to. If people have to do things (out of game) that they don't like, that will weigh in when it's time to renew the subscription.

#3 Discord in an 'ephemeral' medium, finding specific information is a bloody pain. That is great for the instant gratification crowd and things happening now, things that were announced a few hours or godforbid, a day ago are a pain to find!

1/ Because they are trying to keep everyone happy, because some people only use the forum, others only twitter, others want Facebook, others want it by email.  For me they need to do either all of them or pick a single channel
2/ People shouldnt have to do things outside of game - but checking the forum is ok???  Infact if the game is down, how is anyone supposed to get any information.  Why is Discord any different?
3/ Whilst I agree that discord is not the best way to show information - I love the threaded conversations of a forum, the announcement channel is just a series of chronological posts which you could argue are EASIER to read than forum posts which you have to open individually

Anyway, i hate all the methods they use, I want patch notes sent to me by FAX and server announcement by carrier pigeon.   I have spoken to loads of other people and they demands it too.

3 hours ago, Moosegun said:

Probably replying on Google Chrome........ irony

1/ Because they are trying to keep everyone happy, because some people only use the forum, others only twitter, others want Facebook, others want it by email.  For me they need to do either all of them or pick a single channel
2/ People shouldnt have to do things outside of game - but checking the forum is ok???  Infact if the game is down, how is anyone supposed to get any information.  Why is Discord any different?
3/ Whilst I agree that discord is not the best way to show information - I love the threaded conversations of a forum, the announcement channel is just a series of chronological posts which you could argue are EASIER to read than forum posts which you have to open individually

Anyway, i hate all the methods they use, I want patch notes sent to me by FAX and server announcement by carrier pigeon.   I have spoken to loads of other people and they demands it too.

Sarcasm only works with intelligence.

We have to use a web browser, but that's the same for all the games that have help and support in the game forum, in one place which is kinda an industry standard...   Nobody, but nobody wants announcements on fb or twitter, that's an asspull.

They want help in mod help game channels and on the game fora and announcements on the fora.  At the very least, something on the forum telling them to go to discord.

It's like people think it's the customer's job to find updates about a product...many people won't even check the forum, never mind discord.

NQ has everyone's email. It isn't hard or expensive to set up an email blast. 

I don't really care if NQ only wants to use discord...but it isn't good business.

If they can't figure out something as fundamental and important as "how to communicate with their players", it's hard to trust that they will be open-minded enough to adapt to life beyond their most loyal and defensive player-base...

Hello fellow Noveans,

being tasked with keeping this forum a place everyone can enjoy, I agree with the original request and took the liberty to forward this. As I see it following your conversations, members could benefit from finding the announcements on the forums too.

Please take note that this is not an official statement. In my personal estimation I'm not sure if there is enough capacity to make it happen just now - or even decide on it right away. But rest assured you've got my support when it's on the table. Not as replacement, but as addition to announcements on Discord :)

Regarding the current discussion I'd like to ask you to keep things civil. There's room for every voice on this matter - irony, sarcasm and attacks won't help this thread move forward ;)

Thanks for all your commitment, suggestions and constructive comments!

Mellow greetings

Mod-Mondlicht

16 hours ago, Mod-Mondlicht said:

Hello fellow Noveans,

being tasked with keeping this forum a place everyone can enjoy, I agree with the original request and took the liberty to forward this. As I see it following your conversations, members could benefit from finding the announcements on the forums too.

Please take note that this is not an official statement. In my personal estimation I'm not sure if there is enough capacity to make it happen just now - or even decide on it right away. But rest assured you've got my support when it's on the table. Not as replacement, but as addition to announcements on Discord :)

Regarding the current discussion I'd like to ask you to keep things civil. There's room for every voice on this matter - irony, sarcasm and attacks won't help this thread move forward ;)

Thanks for all your commitment, suggestions and constructive comments!

Mellow greetings

Mod-Mondlicht

Hello Mondlicht,

thank you for your support.

I am absolutely curious whether there will be any feedback on it.

However, I am certainly also aware that there will be a lot of requests of all kinds at the moment. Fortunately, I am therefore blessed with patience.

I look forward to further information, also from NQ.

Best regards,

Luukullus

I am of the opinion that communication via the Discord-Chanel is not necessary.

Any support should also take place in the game itself and not be communicated via external channels.

I don't want to increase the number of clients out on Discord, just get the usual, quick help in the game I'm used to and which I find as good as it was.

In the Past:

I asked for help many times between February and April.
And: It went like this:

>>> In the chat I asked 1-3 times for an NQ-Mod and >>>

>>> Then: It was less than 5 minutes later. up to 10min. A mod in the chat that invited me to a private channel

>>> Then: I have described my problem and if the problem could only be solved "personally" by a mod, he teleported to me and in 2 minutes. it was all over.

Result: Everyone was happy and it didn't take long for everyone involved to fix the problem. ?

Why doesn't this work in beta? ?

The whole crap started when the support channel became to a open-channel, so many weeks before the beta ...
During the whole chat chaos, of course, nobody saw a mod when someone called for an NQ mod ...

So in retrospect, NQ kind of worked to make it the way it is now ...

Because probably everyone will realize that the support channel mixed with an open channel is just as useful as;
as if I wanted to have a discourse about the meaning of life with 5 friends at a rock concert. Am I right? ?

10 hours ago, MagnusElectron said:

I am of the opinion that communication via the Discord-Chanel is not necessary.

Any support should also take place in the game itself and not be communicated via external channels.

I don't want to increase the number of clients out on Discord, just get the usual, quick help in the game I'm used to and which I find as good as it was.

In the Past:

I asked for help many times between February and April.
And: It went like this:

>>> In the chat I asked 1-3 times for an NQ-Mod and >>>

>>> Then: It was less than 5 minutes later. up to 10min. A mod in the chat that invited me to a private channel

>>> Then: I have described my problem and if the problem could only be solved "personally" by a mod, he teleported to me and in 2 minutes. it was all over.

Result: Everyone was happy and it didn't take long for everyone involved to fix the problem. ?

Why doesn't this work in beta? ?

The whole crap started when the support channel became to a open-channel, so many weeks before the beta ...
During the whole chat chaos, of course, nobody saw a mod when someone called for an NQ mod ...

So in retrospect, NQ kind of worked to make it the way it is now ...

Because probably everyone will realize that the support channel mixed with an open channel is just as useful as;
as if I wanted to have a discourse about the meaning of life with 5 friends at a rock concert. Am I right? ?

Hello MagnusElectron,

that's pretty much on point.

I think, as already mentioned, the Discord is not absolutely bad, better said it is actually the case that in my opinion it was not designed or built for such a crowd.

The overview that is lost in the Discord remains in the forum. Of course, a forum is not as dynamic as it is discord, but it is NOT about the comparison of two communication platforms, but merely about addressing requests for communication and clarity.

Greetings from,

Luukullus

On 9/7/2020 at 12:22 PM, runner78 said:

It would also need a server status for the luncher or the login screen. There are also enough people who try to log in, and then constantly post error messages without first checking the server status.

I think this is really a must-have.

Even if it's just "Server is Online" and "Server is Offline".

On 9/7/2020 at 12:22 PM, runner78 said:

It would also need a server status for the luncher or the login screen. There are also enough people who try to log in, and then constantly post error messages without first checking the server status.

18 minutes ago, MitoGaterau said:

I think this is really a must-have.

Even if it's just "Server is Online" and "Server is Offline".

Both absolutely correct in my mind.

Dual Universe is not the first MMO that I play.
In every MMO to date, I've been able to see the status of the server right in the launcher or on the login screen. This should also be mentioned if the server is semi-online (for updates or maintenance by the administrators).

The first MMO I remember from 2003 had a list of servers on the login screen in which you could see four status messages (just as an example, I am aware that you can't do it exactly like that. But something like that would be fine great):
- empty (colored green)
- Populated (colored yellow)
- crowded (colored red)
- Check (For Administrative work | Colored purple)

I think that way you can intercept a lot of requests in the forum or in the Discord, if everyone can see that cannot be connected due to maintenance.

LG Luukullus

Here's how a player should find out the status of the servers: Launch the game and hit the play button.  If the servers are down then it should just inform the player in that window. No discord or forums or any other method of communication should be required to get this information.
The message on the game launcher should be clear and concise.  No confusing or cryptic error messages or codes should be used (those can still be displayed for troubleshooting other issues).  It should just say something like "The server is currently down. ETA is [time in the player's timezone]."  UTC shouldn't be used unless a UTC clock is added to the game launcher; it just adds confusion.