Ship Building Requirements

Guest SlaserX

Guest SlaserX

Hi team, 

I am a miner, and I'm designing a freighter. I want to be able to fly from planet to planet to collect ore across the galaxy, but since I'm new to the game, I'm not sure what parts my ship really needs. Wings, stabilizer, seat, fuel, a large container, I get those. It's the everything else. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Enough wings to give high altitude lift for a shallow ascent path to orbit.

A vertical wing/stabilizer to allow atmo turning ability.

Hover engines / vertical boosters to get the ship off the ground.

Enough atmo thrust to get it past the 10% atmo barrier before space engines start working. I think about 3G at ground level is good.

Enough atmo fuel to allow you to get to orbit twice and land, with a comfortable safety margin.

Enough atmo brakes to slow the ship to a stop in a reasonable time.

Enough space thrust to allow acceleration away from the planet without falling back into it, as even at 1% atmosphere, the lift from wings can be considerable.

Enough space fuel to allow acceleration to a speed that gives a reasonable travel time between planets. Preferably about 4-5x, as you may need extra if you get disconnected (since ships do not retain their momentum yet...)

Enough space retro brakes to allow deceleration in a reasonable time (G accel roughly matching space engine accel is good) to planetary atmosphere insertion without burning up.

A full set of reaction thrusters to allow decent maneuverability. ~12-16 is good. 

Very good summary,

One note just for completeness sake, if you plan to go mine in places  without atmosphere (aka moons for instance) prefer v-boosters over hovers, yes they use space fuel and use a lot more fuel then hovers but hovers only work in an atmosphere though.