Running Dual Universe on i3 CPU

Guest Shepp

Okay, yes, I know it's been said before, and I know that the answer is technically no, but I have been able to run Dual Universe (albeit a bit laggyily) on an i3 3220 (I think). I am wondering in the future, like after beta, will Dual Universe be able to run smoothly on lower processors? And if not, would an i5 9600 be any different? I can't afford much more, and can only use intel cpu's on my build. Thanks!

i5 9600 would be a decent CPU upgrade from the 3220, but the 9600 uses DDR4 memory while 3220 is DDR3. So not sure that would work without a new motherboard also... And at that point you might as well get a newer low cost AMD system, with better performance. And don't forget about the gfx card, DU is also pretty aggressive in that regard.

Right now there is no way to tell for sure what the actual requirements will be, since everybody struggles no matter how powerful computer they have. So only thing we can do, is wait and see.

18 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

i5 9600 would be a decent CPU upgrade from the 3220, but the 9600 uses DDR4 memory while 3220 is DDR3. So not sure that would work without a new motherboard also... And at that point you might as well get a newer low cost AMD system, with better performance. And don't forget about the gfx card, DU is also pretty aggressive in that regard.

Right now there is no way to tell for sure what the actual requirements will be, since everybody struggles no matter how powerful computer they have. So only thing we can do, is wait and see.

Okay, thank you! And yeah, I have an nvdia 1050ti graphics card which I'm pretty sure is good

I would guess that will not ever run smoothly on lower end processors.  I don't think that the game will even run smoothly on higher end processors. 

I think that the bottleneck is internet bandwidth and server responsiveness. As you walk thru the game it has to basically stream any changes to your computer.  If you approach a player hub then it'll have to load every ship parked there.  The server has to respond to every connected computer with an avatar moving around so even if you have a high end processor and a great internet connection the server just won't be able to respond to you fast enough to make it a smooth experience.