Very Serious Question: Roofs

michaelk

I finally got a little helicopter jet thing. I immediately figured out how to park it upside down, but it still beats flying commercial. 

I flew around for a while, scoping out my neighbors like every pervert with a drone. 

I quickly adopted a quest to find someone...anyone...that had bothered to build a roof. 

Are there no HOAs in this game? Personally I don't like being neighbors with people that don't construct roofs. It's unsightly. 

It will probably be a while before I have the time to invest to figure out how to get off this damned-dirty sanctuary moon...but I'll admit I had a lot of fun flying around looking at people's roofless hovels and wondering if THIS is our grim future: we came so far from the destroyed earth, just to build concrete floors decorated with heavy industrial equipment? 

Sounds about right to be honest.  

I put on a roof just to have something to land on, which becomes a challenge itself since I am on a hill and it takes a while to recover from a missed landing for another attempt.  I think I am the only person within 5km who has a roof, other than the market.

When it comes time for you to try to leave "this damned-dirty sanctuary moon", a few words of advice.  If you think you have enough lift/thrust to get you to space engine ignition, your probably don't have enough.  If you KNOW you have enough engine to get there, you might.  That last few hundred meters is a real mother to cross.

9 minutes ago, Orclover said:

I put on a roof just to have something to land on, which becomes a challenge itself since I am on a hill and it takes a while to recover from a missed landing for another attempt.  I think I am the only person within 5km who has a roof, other than the market.

When it comes time for you to try to leave "this damned-dirty sanctuary moon", a few words of advice.  If you think you have enough lift/thrust to get you to space engine ignition, your probably don't have enough.  If you KNOW you have enough engine to get there, you might.  That last few hundred meters is a real mother to cross.

Good to know, thanks! 

My relationship with physics even is rocky even in the best of circumstances. 

I can 100% see myself as a pile of ash on the desert floor, destined to be vacuumed up and recycled into the system :D 

There are no roofs in this game simply because by the time peeps get to that point in the build they are expelled from the server and unable to log back in ?

It is a known issue the devs are working around the clock to fix the problem. The word "escalate" has been used to near extinction. If you have found yourself in this situation, please go immediately to the support page of DU website and start a ticket. From that point forward feel free to die of old age before getting an answer. But, as you pull in that final breath, spare a happy thought that your ticket, with almost 100% surety, has been escalated, that its currently in the hands of the fabled devs and that you are of course, thanked for your patience. 

Waiting Bored GIF - Waiting Bored Patience GIFs

I have no roof since I ran out of my 200 concrete and after building multiple tier II machines in order to build more, it takes 40 minutes to make basically an arm's span worth of more concrete, so to fill my roof would take hours and hours of gathering and waiting.  Combine that with the fact that once you do place down your roof it disappears once you exit Build Mode.  So, no roof since I don't have the patience to deal with this insanity.