Difficulties with Mining

L0ngshanks

First of all I have watched many of the videos about mining and found them very helpful.  The problem I seem to have is when I get close to the ore I have trouble  actually scanning it down.  My latest attempt left me lost in the hole and had to force a re-spawn, which I thought would spawn me back at my ship, as my  Resurrection Node was there.  It didn't take me there, it took me back to the start, now I am stuck, nearly 8 au from my territory with no clue how to get back there.  I would be grateful for any advice offered.  Thank you.

If you get lost just start digging with a positive degree ( 40 to 50 ) and you'll end up in the surface, don't dig at an angle over 50 degrees or it will be too steep for you to climb back, every 50 metres build a medium room with flat ground, this will allow you to take you bearing for the next stage of digging, use the scanner until you are 30 metres from the pocket then switch to the directional scanner ( 4 ) to pinpoint the direction of the pocket and dig in that direction.

In case you are not aware, the L key in game toggles a flashlight, and while the flashlight is on, there is a ruler that measures the angle of elevation from the horizontal. (You probably know this already, but if you didn't Xenus' answer wouldn't be much help if you don't know the angle)

I just saw this post - 

I think that will help you some more in the future. I know not many people explain how the graph on the scanner works and the tutorial just gives you directions to run without explaining it as well. 

I have also noticed that sometimes when switching tools or trying to manual scan, it dose not always update the graph right, so that can be frustrating as well when your under ground.