Players Generating PVE like Content

DeSahd

I've had some ideas on creating things for people to do so they can take a break from mining and factory building. One idea involves some contests that would challenge people's ship building and piloting skills. I'm not giving too much away at the moment as I'm not 100% sure its possible right now. But would people be interested in some aerobatic contests, and more importantly are the DEVS supportive of such?

Well, consider the following:

1️⃣ Two thirds the people wanting to join wont be able to due to Login Issues.

2️⃣ Half of what's left will disconnect due to Network Error at some point midway.

3️⃣ Half of what's left after that will be so lagged out they wont be able to fly a ship let alone dogfight. (I am assuming here that PVP might be on the table)
4️⃣ Half of what's left after ALL that will probably be in a woefully under designed ship and as such will go out of the race/fight real quick.

5️⃣ Some Bugger or group of Buggers will at some point drop in and grief the hell out of the festivities.

So what you might end up with is you and two other guys flying around in circles after wasting a good bit of effort organising this whole thing.  A nice thought though, but as the game stands right now you would have a better chance opening an Ice Skating Ring in the roasting halls of Hades than getting this well intentioned flight contest, ehem, off of the ground.

A somewhat negative take on this you all might be thinking, and you are probably right, but as of running this game 20 days or so, Iv seen nothing yet to give me any indication of this not rolling out exactly how I just described. ?

My first idea is an event on planet, so no PVP, at least for now. The connection issues are a serious concern that we all are dealing with.

As for the griefers, I can only think of one general way to do it that I can't control for. Unfortunately that one would require GM / Dev intervention to prevent.

Yeah, the problem at the moment is that if your event is successfully advertised, it is pretty much guaranteed to go straight round the U-bend if attendance is "good".

When the game stabilises (assuming the AWS fees for expanding capacity can be covered by the new subs and that the problem isn't with the architecture in some fundamental way), events will definitely be a thing. There are some spiffy canyons for speeder races on Madis.

There have a really been some well attended events. Such as race to the moon and a Thades canyon race. There were also some non racing REALLY well attended events, one such remarkable event being the Alioth Air Expo where over 600 constructs were simultaneously present.