detector upgrades

Guest Lalo

I think the bonus should be 

instead of 5,5,5,5

I spent the last 30 minutes trying to find the ore deposit in the last 100 meters. It's very annoying.

I only started playing 4 days ago, but I've found dozens of ore deposits and never really had to excessively search for any of them.

Dig east/west until closest point of approach
Dig north/south until closest again
Note distance, move that distance in a cardinal direction and dig a 45 degree tunnel back up/down. Should be right on target.

I agree the detector upgrade should be better.   

Mining is a bit annoying until you get used to it.   

I don't have much problem finding ores now the most annoying is when its right above you or right below you.

waht if the detector bonus was 10 10 10 10 

Many times if I am within 50 it would save me time and hassle to just point at it.

Try using the scanner to estimate where the ores are and you won't need the detector at all.

The trick I use is that I only move in 6 possible directions when searching for ore:

Cardinal: 0, Angle 0

Cardinal 180, Angle 0

Cardinal 90, Angle 45

Cardinal 90, Angle -45

Cardinal 270, Angle 45

Cardinal 270, Angle -45

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Aiwhisper said:

Detector is fine as is, just have to learn the Technique then it becomes really easy to find ore deposits, a skill to only scan in your own territory would be a big help though since finding ore then not being able to mine it is a pain.

+1 Yes that is the worst thing about mining i spend about 2 hours a day chasing the bloody ore in the next tiles needs to only scan on tile just like the Territory Scanner

If the ore lies on the surface itself (there is no need to go underground), then the detector's action can be increased to 100-300 meters (open space does not extinguish the signal). Compromise solution. If you need just long-range detection underground, then detectors that can be installed on ships (but such have not yet been introduced) will only help here.

The dynamic mapping of the discovered ore to the map will make life easier. The map will not show the depth, but only the point where the ore occurs - based on scanner operation.

10 hours ago, Evilboy said:

+1 Yes that is the worst thing about mining i spend about 2 hours a day chasing the bloody ore in the next tiles needs to only scan on tile just like the Territory Scanner

Instead, perhaps scan in hexes that the player has rights to mine in? If I'm searching in a large unclaimed area, it would be very annoying to need to cross hex boundaries to see what might be 50m away.

10 hours ago, Emptiness said:

Instead, perhaps scan in hexes that the player has rights to mine in? If I'm searching in a large unclaimed area, it would be very annoying to need to cross hex boundaries to see what might be 50m away.

The scanner crosses borders, so if you’re mining a deposit in your own hex and scan again it can pick up ore across the border with no way to stop it. This becomes a larger issue underground since ore “300m”(Or whatever)away could be in any direction even in another hex.