I say this with a heavy heart

ankido

Hi,

I've had dual universe website saved as a tab on my browser for the longest time.  I had high hopes for this game until now.  Not because the game just came out of Alpha and has many bugs and issues.  Simply because I don't feel that this is any different then Entropia or Second Life.  Yet the building aspect of Second Life is far better than DU.  The past days since I started I've been lead to a dark time in my life with constant headaches trying to find answers which the mediocre tutorial did not help much.  There's potential out there for DU to be a good "Virtual Universe".  Unfortunately, anytime you use the word Potential it signifies that the current game is not good and potential may never be there.  

The building is bad.  The tools are not what I expected.  I get the whole sphere when terraforming.  If you want accurate terraforming with precision, you need square tools not just sphere.  This allows for better shaping of the lands.  I have not once seen a flat land in my journey.  Trying to make the land flat comes with patience, time and a bottle of Tylenol mixed with alcohol to ease the pain.  I know there's a long way to go.  My suggestion is to revamp the building aspect of this game/Virtual Universe.  I come from Second Life and I was a builder.  The vision I have for a city above ground and an underground city has gone out the window.  It saddens me because I expected DU to be that one virtual universe that Second Life wasn't.  The tile you get is 10 times larger than Second Life sims but lacks the tools to build unique structures, towns and cities.  I say this because of the Core station.  Should be a way to see the grids without going into build mode. (As the owner of the land)   

Side Note: Don't compare Star Citizen to Dual Universe.  Two completely different games.  That's what I like about it.  An opportunity to play two space games with different style and features.  If I had to choose, those two titles would be it.  Unfortunately, there are some features in DU I'm not happy about nor are the masses that continue to complain in chat.  Nonetheless, good job and good luck.  I hope a year from now I'm immersed in DU building the city of my dreams for all to see.  I will revisit a year from now and hope that things have changed.  Of course, keep a keen eye on youtube for tutorials to learn better.  

Until then, Safe Journey,
Ankido

3 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

“...Lead to a dark time in my life...”

With all due respect. This is a computer game...

but then you’re already gone, so you won’t be reading this...

I've kept tabs with this game since it's announcement.  I'm still here watching it hopefully change.  That quote there is sarcasm hence followed up with tylenol and alcohol.  Expression of being tired and bored.

btw...I heard the bleep figured it was this post.

I made a city, solo, in alpha, with 3 large cores (admittedly easier to do back then), it was part tourist attraction, part residential (with slums that had semi dismantled speeders outside), part huge ziggurat/visitor centre for human sacrifices.

Some of it was underground (before I learnt of the terror of landscape wipes - hopefully a thing of the past.)

It had minarets, booths, park seating, plants,  skyways and I plastered a lot of it in steel panels and cabling for where it needed to be grungy. (Again, tbf, easier in Alpha).

The ground can be flattened, as someone said and I think you would benefit from finding some of the voxelmancy tutorials.

44 minutes ago, ankido said:

I know about the Flatten Tool.  Not efficient.  

There was a learning curve, but I can make a city-sized flat space in a couple of hours (when the server isn't desynched - so that means before beta).

Having many hours of space ship building and space flight in Second Life, I can say unequivocally that DU space ship building and flying are easier and more realistic than in SL. (aside from the phsyical model build which is easier with SL prims than DU voxels.)

Which Entropia are you comparing it to? It's not very comparable to Entropia Universe except in being a space game. i don't know much about the other Entropia game.

4 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

There was a learning curve, but I can make a city-sized flat space in a couple of hours (when the server isn't desynched - so that means before beta).

Having many hours of space ship building and space flight in Second Life, I can say unequivocally that DU space ship building and flying are easier and more realistic than in SL. (aside from the phsyical model build which is easier with SL prims than DU voxels.)

Which Entropia are you comparing it to? It's not very comparable to Entropia Universe except in being a space game. i don't know much about the other Entropia game.

I am accustomed to working on a sim and terraforming much easier.  Unfortunately, we are limited in DU.  For example.  We can flatten the land with a click of a button.  Build what we want to build and then terraform to fit structures.  With DU, you are limited with those type of tools.  Nothing is perfect in DU as it is with SL.  Ship building is not a concern as I haven't tried that yet.  I'm sure the tools fit the narrative much easier for ship building.  Planets are important.  If it's anything we learned in SL, beautiful sims are important because we spend a lot of time on them.  Even though this is a space game.  You will spend most of your time on the ground.  Then again, doing fly over watching beautiful constructs is also a good thing.  This cannot be achieved with the tools given.  To make a perfect Square on the ground can achieve so many things especially having tools to control your tile.  If you abandon your tile, it should reset itself to it's original state not destroying the land.  So many things that can be improved and I hope I can contribute to that with this post.  Unfortunately, the game is not fun.  I find myself waiting and waiting and waiting as the timer ticks 5 mins, 10 mins, 5 mins, 3 mins just to craft honeycomb to build.  That is not a problem for wait.  The gathering of resources is what bothers me.  The time it takes to mine resources becomes a hassle and not many have time for it.  

Since you come from SL, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.  There are some elements I like with DU.  It has a long long way to go and hopefully implementing these type of features for comfort building and precision would help DU a lot in visuals.  Nobody wants to go back to the 2003 days of SL.  This is how I see DU minus the space ships.

There's also the issue that the more you terraform, the laggier your local environment will become. We have instituted a rule that ORG members must get at least 4 hexes away from the main base before starting to mine, in order to minimise the amount of terrain-based lag. DU changed the way they modelled it, which made it not as bad as it used to be, but it still has an effect.

I'm just surprised you're actually able to play. Even if I get past the login and loading errors, which has only happened twice, I get unplayable fps. My system exceeds the recommended specs and I have it installed on an SSD.

At least now I know it's not worth the hassle. Just sent my refund request.

1 hour ago, Kaytaro said:

I'm just surprised you're actually able to play. Even if I get past the login and loading errors, which has only happened twice, I get unplayable fps. My system exceeds the recommended specs and I have it installed on an SSD.

At least now I know it's not worth the hassle. Just sent my refund request.

It's the start of Beta.  Those kind of stuff are expected.  The issue here on this thread is the game itself.  What needs to be improved for better game experience.  As for having issues with login and various bugs.  Those kinds of stuff are expected and should be reported.

23 minutes ago, ankido said:

It's the start of Beta.  Those kind of stuff are expected.  The issue here on this thread is the game itself.  What needs to be improved for better game experience.  As for having issues with login and various bugs.  Those kinds of stuff are expected and should be reported.

These are not “beta” issues. Beta means playable to some extent. Especially betas which are purchased. These are the kind of issues I’d expect from early tech-demos or free stress tests. 

4 minutes ago, Kaytaro said:

These are not “beta” issues. Beta means playable to some extent. Especially betas which are purchased. These are the kind of issues I’d expect from early tech-demos or free stress tests. 

I'm didn't have fun in the game in general.  As for issues I expected them.  To be honest, it's a very playable game at it's current state.  Some people have issues while others have minimal.  Kind of like myself.  Installed, logged in, everything was smooth.  Some other peoples cases.  They can't even log in.  Each person varies.  

8 hours ago, Kaytaro said:

well, I can play the game.

Sure , sometimes it has a hickup,

but normally I have no problems, as long as I avoid

Alioth. So , it is a beta, not ready but you can do things, you can call it playing. Even the alpha was playable.

If the mining is slow today, i do other things inside the game, if the server

has problems, i do other things outside the game.

11 hours ago, klobber said:

well, I can play the game.

Sure , sometimes it has a hickup,

but normally I have no problems, as long as I avoid

Alioth. So , it is a beta, not ready but you can do things, you can call it playing. Even the alpha was playable.

If the mining is slow today, i do other things inside the game, if the server

has problems, i do other things outside the game.

Good for you, how does that help the many people who can't? If you're charging money for a beta, it should be playable for 100% of people who meet the recommended specs.

19 minutes ago, Kaytaro said:

Good for you, how does that help the many people who can't? If you're charging money for a beta, it should be playable for 100% of people who meet the recommended specs.

this is how you know people never read the disclaimers.... They state in black and white that the game is not 100% and to expect S. to happen. welcome to the world. 

17 minutes ago, Kaytaro said:

If you are paying money for a type of game testing that you don't understand, you should ask for a refund and stop playing betas.  This is the same issues that happen in every free/paid/closed/open betas ever.  What helps is reporting issues, having patience and reading about the work being done to solve the issues.  If you are paying for a beta, you are paying to support a game you want to see come to fruition, not so you can play early and not have a single issue.  If you can't handle bug and issues, STOP TRYING TO PLAY IN A BETA.  Then if you have issues with a full release game your complaints will sound valid instead of just ignorant.  

8 minutes ago, Velase85 said:

this is how you know people never read the disclaimers.... They state in black and white that the game is not 100% and to expect S. to happen. welcome to the world. 

8 minutes ago, DrEvilHomer said:

If you are paying money for a type of game testing that you don't understand, you should ask for a refund and stop playing betas.  This is the same issues that happen in every free/paid/closed/open betas ever.  What helps is reporting issues, having patience and reading about the work being done to solve the issues.  If you are paying for a beta, you are paying to support a game you want to see come to fruition, not so you can play early and not have a single issue.  If you can't handle bug and issues, STOP TRYING TO PLAY IN A BETA.  Then if you have issues with a full release game your complaints will sound valid instead of just ignorant.  

I'm not saying the game should be 100% complete. I'm saying 100% of people who pay for the beta should be able to play the beta they paid for.

I've played dozens of beta's, including Star Citizen, Space Engineers, Empyrion, etc., and never had issues so bad I couldn't play at all. This is not "the same issues that happen in every beta", these are pre-alpha or tech demo issues.

24 minutes ago, Kaytaro said:

I'm not saying the game should be 100% complete. I'm saying 100% of people who pay for the beta should be able to play the beta they paid for.

I've played dozens of beta's, including Star Citizen, Space Engineers, Empyrion, etc., and never had issues so bad I couldn't play at all. This is not "the same issues that happen in every beta", these are pre-alpha or tech demo issues.

Dozens huh?  I have literally participated in 100s of betas.  These are the same issues that happen in every single beta I have ever been part of.  The difference now is that YOU are suffering from the overly complicated can't play the game issues, so you are bitching a moaning.  Star Citizen is still a mess and basically unplayable.  Space Engineers and Empyrion, etc are not MMOs, are not always on and don't require mass server, website, subscription and recruitment coding/security.  I have been a beta tester for about 40+ different MMOs and they ALL have these issues during beta, hell this is the FIRST beta and the first month of beta.  These are common issues that happen in every beta and especially in beta MMOs.  100% of the people that pay will be able to play, when the issue they are experiencing is resolved.  There is nothing that guarantees you will get to play ever second/minute/hour/day of a beta.  I will say it again, if you want a game that isn't buggy and doesn't have issues, wait for release.  Otherwise you sound like a fool.  Server and login issues for a first month beta MMO is so common you would be hard pressed to find one that didn't have them.  Trying to say this is pre-Alpha or tech demo problems just makes you sound like you have never played a game before, let alone a beta version.  

47 minutes ago, DrEvilHomer said:

Dozens huh?  I have literally participated in 100s of betas.  These are the same issues that happen in every single beta I have ever been part of.  The difference now is that YOU are suffering from the overly complicated can't play the game issues, so you are bitching a moaning.  Star Citizen is still a mess and basically unplayable.  Space Engineers and Empyrion, etc are not MMOs, are not always on and don't require mass server, website, subscription and recruitment coding/security.  I have been a beta tester for about 40+ different MMOs and they ALL have these issues during beta, hell this is the FIRST beta and the first month of beta.  These are common issues that happen in every beta and especially in beta MMOs.  100% of the people that pay will be able to play, when the issue they are experiencing is resolved.  There is nothing that guarantees you will get to play ever second/minute/hour/day of a beta.  I will say it again, if you want a game that isn't buggy and doesn't have issues, wait for release.  Otherwise you sound like a fool.  Server and login issues for a first month beta MMO is so common you would be hard pressed to find one that didn't have them.  Trying to say this is pre-Alpha or tech demo problems just makes you sound like you have never played a game before, let alone a beta version.  

I don't mind buggy incomplete games, that's why I play betas. I do mind when I literally cannot play a week after purchase. I'm not asking to play every second of every day, I'm asking for like, at least an HOUR of playtime? Sorry but the idea that these issue are common in betas is laughable. Beta generally means the core mechanics are in place, but features are incomplete and bugs exist. That is a far cry from the state of this game. I could probably forgive the numerous login and server issues (which should have been tested with a FREE stress test) if the game was at least playable when I finally logged in.

Only in the gaming community will fanboys defend companies like this who sell products that do not match the description. If the system requirements aren't accurate then they shouldn't advertise them and I wouldn't be here complaining.

You guys hijacked my thread.  This thread has nothing to do with bugs.  Despite the game not being fun and needing to be revamped in ways to make it more fun, the game is playable.  You should never complain about bugs unless the game is released.  My main issue is the future of DU.  In my humble opinion, this game has no future and hopefully they can change some things.  I'm sure we all learned from No Man's Sky.  You can take crap and make it game of the year by massive changes.  I hope they pick up on this very soon.  DU has a lot of potential.  At this time.  It's not fun at all.  I have more fun running missions in Star Citizen because the game feels relaxing despite the massive bugs.  With DU, the fun factor wasn't there.

1 hour ago, Kaytaro said:

I don't mind buggy incomplete games, that's why I play betas. I do mind when I literally cannot play a week after purchase. I'm not asking to play every second of every day, I'm asking for like, at least an HOUR of playtime? Sorry but the idea that these issue are common in betas is laughable. Beta generally means the core mechanics are in place, but features are incomplete and bugs exist. That is a far cry from the state of this game. I could probably forgive the numerous login and server issues (which should have been tested with a FREE stress test) if the game was at least playable when I finally logged in.

Only in the gaming community will fanboys defend companies like this who sell products that do not match the description. If the system requirements aren't accurate then they shouldn't advertise them and I wouldn't be here complaining.

So basically you haven't read anything said by NQ and are just complaining about something you didn't read.  Got it.  I am far from a fan boy, I am about ready to quit playing this game for the very reason this thread was started.  The game is boring.  You however are complaining and just trying to redefine what is a beta.  NQ has said this is beta in the term it is intended to be used.  The game is far from complete and will have major issues.  You just ignored all that.  You also didn't purchase the game, you supported the company and in return are allowed in their beta.  I have close to 100 hours on this game already so an hour of play time?  yeah you should have that easily.  Anyways you are arguing about something you obviously don't have experience with based on your responses and as it has be said this thread was about the future of the game and how to make it fun.  Not about someone complaining about a beta being a beta.  

21 minutes ago, DrEvilHomer said:

So basically you haven't read anything said by NQ and are just complaining about something you didn't read.  Got it.  I am far from a fan boy, I am about ready to quit playing this game for the very reason this thread was started.  The game is boring.  You however are complaining and just trying to redefine what is a beta.  NQ has said this is beta in the term it is intended to be used.  The game is far from complete and will have major issues.  You just ignored all that.  You also didn't purchase the game, you supported the company and in return are allowed in their beta.  I have close to 100 hours on this game already so an hour of play time?  yeah you should have that easily.  Anyways you are arguing about something you obviously don't have experience with based on your responses and as it has be said this thread was about the future of the game and how to make it fun.  Not about someone complaining about a beta being a beta.  

Please show me where to read where NQ said you will not be able to play at all even though you meet or exceed the system requirements? Yes I am complaining. I have a right to complain about something I paid money for. You on the other hand are just arguing and defending a company for no real reason. "it's just a beta!!1!!" is a valid excuse for gameplay related bugs, it's not an excuse for lying about the system requirements. I'm glad you were able to play 100 hours. Browse this forum for 10 minutes and you'll find many people like me who cannot. This is not normal for any PAID beta I've been a part of. You claim this is the same for every beta, what was the last beta you paid $20+ for and weren't able to play once? I am really curious.

WoW, ESO, Scrap Mechanic, Space Engineers, ARK, Conan... do you want me to go on?  They had a major server issue yesterday and today.  So for two days of the last two weeks game play has been an issue for some.  Not all, not half, not everyone, some.  You unfortunately were one of them.  You are complaining about a knowing issue, a game that is just out of Alpha and exaggerating the extent of your problems, clearly.  If you want to complain find another thread.  This was about the fun and future of the game and I am not going to argue with you more here as it was said by the OP and myself that this is off topic here.  

24 minutes ago, DrEvilHomer said:

WoW, ESO, Scrap Mechanic, Space Engineers, ARK, Conan... do you want me to go on?  They had a major server issue yesterday and today.  So for two days of the last two weeks game play has been an issue for some.  Not all, not half, not everyone, some.  You unfortunately were one of them.  You are complaining about a knowing issue, a game that is just out of Alpha and exaggerating the extent of your problems, clearly.  If you want to complain find another thread.  This was about the fun and future of the game and I am not going to argue with you more here as it was said by the OP and myself that this is off topic here.  

Wow, you bought all those games and were not able to play them? You are one unlucky guy. I already told you I could probably forgive the server issues, but they are only the start of the issues. Maybe if you actually read my replies we wouldn’t have to spam this thread going in circles.