GET IT TOGETHER NQ!

Tiberis

With the problems,  I once had a queue to get on over 1000, it is just not worth my time on something that will eventually get wiped.  I use beta mainly to learn the game so I can get a quicker start upon release.  And the stories of people talking about the problems getting suppressed, worry me.  Not sure if they are true.  But I see no reason just to log on occasionally update my talents and see what they have fixed in patches, and then decide if I want to play.

5 minutes ago, Wooden said:

With the problems,  I once had a queue to get on over 1000, it is just not worth my time on something that will eventually get wiped.  I use beta mainly to learn the game so I can get a quicker start upon release.  And the stories of people talking about the problems getting suppressed, worry me.  Not sure if they are true.  But I see no reason just to log on occasionally update my talents and see what they have fixed in patches, and then decide if I want to play.

They aren't planning on wiping.  There are talks of a terrain wipe, but you will be compensated the mats to do a one time free re-deploy of your base.  You will keep all your inventory, dynamic cores, talents, quanta, etc.  That is there intention anyway, and said would only have to wipe if something crazy happens.  

2 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

They aren't planning on wiping.  There are talks of a terrain wipe, but you will be compensated the mats to do a one time free re-deploy of your base.  You will keep all your inventory, dynamic cores, talents, quanta, etc.  That is there intention anyway, and said would only have to wipe if something crazy happens.  

Like the issue happening right now that let some people acquire thousands and thousand of materials and elements? So many in fact that they can’t even dupe enough containers to put it all? I wouldn’t put my money on a no wipe at this point, cause this is strike 2.....

1 minute ago, Iorail said:

Like the issue happening right now that let some people acquire thousands and thousand of materials and elements? So many in fact that they can’t even dupe enough containers to put it all? I wouldn’t put my money on a no wipe at this point, cause this is strike 2.....

If thats the case, maybe NQ can wipe only them.  And possibly worse sanctions for exploiting issues, instead of finding them, and reporting them. Who knows tho Im not a Dev just going off what ive heard.

22 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

If thats the case, maybe NQ can wipe only them.  And possibly worse sanctions for exploiting issues, instead of finding them, and reporting them. Who knows tho Im not a Dev just going off what ive heard.

The problem here is that they are passing the items, how are they going to track/stop something that could be 10 people and 2/3 orgs deep? I will hate to loose everything because of a few but at this point this is really getting out of hand quickly and maybe people are not seeing the long term damage now but it’s there already and there is no fixing this short of a wipe, like I said, this is strike 2, by strike 3 it will be far too late.

1 minute ago, Iorail said:

The problem here is that they are passing the items, how are they going to track/stop something that could be 10 people and 2/3 orgs deep? I will hate to loose everything because of a few but at this point this is really getting out of hand quickly and maybe people are not seeing the long term damage now but it’s there already and there is no fixing this short of a wipe, like I said, this is strike 2, by strike 3 it will be far too late.

Ya, i mean if things get that bad and the good of the game/economy is at stake yes.  My original point was the Devs are trying NOT to wipe, but we also do realize it could be a reality if things get fucked, which they may be or not be I have no idea from my personal point of view.  

There seems to be a pattern emerging over the last few years. A few game programmers get together and dream up a whizz-bang game, then seek investors or get players to 'sponsor' them.  However, it seems that the concepts they dream up are not all technically possible.  So, they develop the game and put it to market as a sandbox Alpha while they get the basics working. Then comes the Beta release where the basics are supposed to be working and go on to fixing bugs, introducing new planned content.  When it all works, it gets a full release. Haha, not so. In the case of DU "Single Shard", means that all players are on the 1 server, only the server can't handle the number of connections, causing frequent disconnects.  This is basic stuff. It appears that the system has not been thoroughly tested, because if it were, the game wouldn't have been released in Beta, where new players are expected to pay a subscription to play.

Games like Empyrion Galactic Survival and Star Citizen also have basic issues that have never properly dealt with. Playfields not rendering fully, laggy, constructs missing, costing CR to rebuy de-spawned constructs, and the list goes on.  Entropia Universe with it's real market economy marketed as a free game, however in the early stages a buy up of CR is necessary to get a start.  Then they reduce the amount of most of the loot, leaving even the most experienced players to grind for hours just to keep their ships, and shops running.  Real Life money invested in buying virtual shops, where the lag is so bad, keeping shops stocked is severely hampered.  One of the playfields has been left only partially developed and abandoned. But players are still encouraged to visit and play.

It appears these guys have the big ideas, but when it comes to execution they can't get the technical aspects to work properly and then come up against business restraints like cash flow, retaining and attracting experienced staff etc., and the whole thing falls into disrepair.  All the while, mug players like me shell out $$ for a poor quality product having been sucked in by the sales hype and Spin. IMO, it all comes down to Quality Assurance, thorough testing and the ethic of 'do it right and do it once'.  My rant over.

1 hour ago, Reg_AU said:

There seems to be a pattern emerging over the last few years. A few game programmers get together and dream up a whizz-bang game, then seek investors or get players to 'sponsor' them.  However, it seems that the concepts they dream up are not all technically possible.  So, they develop the game and put it to market as a sandbox Alpha while they get the basics working. Then comes the Beta release where the basics are supposed to be working and go on to fixing bugs, introducing new planned content.  When it all works, it gets a full release. Haha, not so. In the case of DU "Single Shard", means that all players are on the 1 server, only the server can't handle the number of connections, causing frequent disconnects.  This is basic stuff. It appears that the system has not been thoroughly tested, because if it were, the game wouldn't have been released in Beta, where new players are expected to pay a subscription to play.

No it doesnt mean that it is on one server, why do you post up this COMPLETE LIE, is means it is on a cloud of servers across the world which are knitted together into a single shard.  "This is basic stuff" Ironic coming from someone talking complete bullshit with clearly no actual idea how the tech works.  NQ have been honest that they needed to make money to beef up the server meshing (I can explain what that means if you like). 

I have no issues with people being pissed off with NQ and the game but when people with zero understanding start talking like they are an authority, jog on.

58 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

No it doesnt mean that it is on one server, why do you post up this COMPLETE LIE, is means it is on a cloud of servers across the world which are knitted together into a single shard.  "This is basic stuff" Ironic coming from someone talking complete bullshit with clearly no actual idea how the tech works.  NQ have been honest that they needed to make money to beef up the server meshing (I can explain what that means if you like). 

I have no issues with people being pissed off with NQ and the game but when people with zero understanding start talking like they are an authority, jog on.

You seem to be irrationally angry at something.

Perhaps you should take some deep breaths and realize it's not that big of a deal.

We were invited here to help support NQ in the development of Dual Universe and agreed to help with testing because of our interest in the game. 

As backers we knew very well we were paying for vaporware until something at least somewhat playable came out of it and after years of anticipation here we finally are.

Now there's people engaged in some sort of forum-wide flaming over what can only be described as common beta release issues.

This is far from the worse beta release I've ever seen and some of those went on to be great games people still play to this day.

Lag, crashes, disconnects, duping, and login screen camping... these issues are so common in beta it wouldn't be beta without them.

To make matters worse some devs have clearly given up their weekend in a very palpable attempt to help.

The only thing i see out of place in this beta is the complete lack of appreciation for the dev's efforts.

12 hours ago, Iorail said:

What's going on with this? Another ( ? less predictable, perhaps, cos it's a bug/exploit ? ) thing to shaft the "player led economy" pillar of gameplay?

Has the issue been identified and fixed so it can't be repeated (til, obviously, the next bug)? Or are cheaters still busily squirreling away ill-gotten gains?

8 minutes ago, dman7529 said:

ok, i'm new to the community, and I am wondering where yall are going to get the reasons for servers going down?

Edit: Oops. Misread the OP. Thought they were asking "when" we'd get round to explaining the reasons... Still, someone might find it useful, so I'll leave what I writed.[endedit]

The servers are regularly taken down for maintenance, for short periods. They are also, frequently, at the moment, taken down to add patches to fix things, because... it's not going "as it should". These wrinkles are also causing the devs to shut the server mesh down just for recovery sometimes, too, so it doesn't just fall on its face ungracefully.

There's a lot of downtime at this stage in the game's development, but much of it is to deal with the development that will make it so that the vast majority of the rest isn't necessary either.

I'd give it another couple of weeks to see if we get any significant improvements; longer than that, and I'd be fearful that the meshing architecture can't scale in a distrubuted-enough way to credibly achieve the "one shard" goal with the current user level.

The main problem here is that the entire beta release was forced/rushed (most likely for financial reasons). NQ was never able to prove their server technology before the beta release. The lag, pending operation errors, low fps, and general bugs etc. are not new problems. So when you open up and start running the servers 24/7 for the first time ever, you obviously (they where told, believe me) end up with the current situation.

The thing is more than enough time has passed now for these issues to have been fixed. So at this point either NQ does not have the money to properly upgrade the servers or they don't know what they are doing. And that's the honest truth. No more excuses need to be made for NQ anymore. It's been 2 weeks, and this is the worst beta release I have ever seen in 20 years. DU should have NEVER been a single server for everyone, for any reason. DU needs to be at least 3 completely separate server shards. And until they understand that the tech. simply doesn't work for what they are trying to do, these issues most likely won't go away.

And no they don't communicate at all. We are still getting random restarts without notice and stealth hot fixes that break more of the game then they fix. For example they told us in a two sentence announcement that they fixed industry. What they actually did was require 1800L of all materials, not update recipes to reflect it, not update the tutorials which it broke, and never told anyone what they actually did. They have yet to address the players who duped tons of items in all the server lag, or the exploiters who literally cleaned out the moons of ore 24 hours after beta release. They insist that everything be overly hard for players, and that we deal with the server issues on top of it.

It's frankly getting stupid. Right now NQ is basically a poor EA. And whats worse is we keep being told to...just be patient. Just have patience. No...You fix the issues NQ. Fix them already. Stop completely disrespecting out time, effort, and money.

I have the impression that it gets worse and worse, with some good moments,

it looks like it is impossible to fix things with so many people logging in.

I am working as a developer, and the most terrible situation is when the delivery timeline

is coming to an end and you still haven't tested the overall performance issues, since you didn't know,

that they might exist.

Regarding my previous post..."There seems to be a pattern emerging over the last few years." 1 Novark Citizen replied "No it doesnt mean that it is on one server".

Whether the servers are 'Meshed' or not, they form 1 single place where players connect to. The issue is players are having difficulty logging in and staying logged in. That does not justify you labelling my comment as a "LIE".

Secondly, if I have "no idea how tech works", the fact remains that some gaming companies promise a lot and then either don't deliver or deliver less than they promise. Which was the point of my post.

Instead of replying with aggressive posts, like you have, perhaps you could take a step back and look at the point I was trying to make. You may well think I'm an idiot, cretin, imbecile, or what other derogatory name you can conjure up, but I'm a player, I paid my money to play this game and I'm entitled to have my say. In a fair and respectful community, I should be able to do so without these types of replies to a post.

12 hours ago, Tiberius_Theron said:

The thing is more than enough time has passed now for these issues to have been fixed.

Who exactly are you to be able to judge that? Do you have insight we don't into the development issues that NQ are facing?

It's your opinion, based on pretty much zero information.

I would agree that "More than enough time has passed for JC Bailly to put a quick webcast together to explain what's going on, in line with NQ's touted transparency." But to assert that "enough" time has passed to fix a problem when you have NO IDEA what the problem actually entails or how to fix it, is the height of ignorant arrogance.

You can legitimately say "It's taking an unacceptable amount of time, for me, and I'm unhappy." Or you can provide some sources. Including any necessary financial ones to say they could throw more money at the problem, if that's provably a solution. But you aren't going to be able to do that, are you?