T2 ore

Benecor

I've stocked up on T1 ore and now I need T2 ore.  I recall reading somewhere (maybe the tutorial) that it's deeper than T1 ore and, thus can't be scanned from the surface.  Am I supposed to just dig down at random and hope to get lucky?  How deep are they?  And will I find T2,3,4 on my Sanctuary plot?

Pretty much indeed, you need to go spelunking to find higher tier ores, unless you find a cave or a large dip in the terrain to help you out - you will most likely not find T2+ from the surface.

You can find out what your celestial body has for ores from the map screen (F4) in the top right after you select the planet (moon) of interest.

(and then comparing it with your radial ore scanner window)

You'll find one t2 in ore nodes on the sanc moon,  i forget which.   Easier to collect on from a rock field as you have a low chance of it being in your hex.

T2 on alioth tend to be around the 500-700 metre depth (from surface, not an absolute depth).

To find out which planets have which ores, f4, then space  then click on a planet's info bar.

Moons also have ore, but they are rare, roughly bumped up one or two tiers (it feels like).

The two T2 ores on Alioth, Malachite and Limestone, are both about 500 m below the surface.

The newbie mining method is 

1. Dig down 500m. Dig in a spiral so you can get back out. You may be mining to your nano pack so you can't force respawn back up.
  2. pick a direction and dig horizontally while scanning. You may have to go a ways (kilometers) to pick anything up.
  3. When you see T2 on the scanner, play hot/cold just like you do on the surface.
  4. If you started 500m down, the T2 ore will usually be below you when you minimize the distance. It may be above you. I usually dig a tunnel up and run up it a bit to see which way the line goes, but fore committing to going down.

For T3 (only acanthite on Alioth) dig down 800 and do the same process.

This procedure works on other planets too, but the depths and available ores are different.

36 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

The two T2 ores on Alioth, Malachite and Limestone, are both about 500 m below the surface.

The newbie mining method is 

1. Dig down 500m. Dig in a spiral so you can get back out. You may be mining to your nano pack so you can't force respawn back up.
  2. pick a direction and dig horizontally while scanning. You may have to go a ways (kilometers) to pick anything up.
  3. When you see T2 on the scanner, play hot/cold just like you do on the surface.
  4. If you started 500m down, the T2 ore will usually be below you when you minimize the distance. It may be above you. I usually dig a tunnel up and run up it a bit to see which way the line goes, but fore committing to going down.

For T3 (only acanthite on Alioth) dig down 800 and do the same process.

This procedure works on other planets too, but the depths and available ores are different.

Up and down shafts are OK if you have enough cardio, vigor and jump pack talents. 

Remember to close off dead ends with accumulated dirt (press i, tick the "collect non ores" (or whatever it's called),  then collect some dirt, and alt + dig to place dirt on floor).  You can dump the excess.

It my be quicker to mine horizontally with flatten tool for a hundred metres (then check detector),  then back to flatten.

11 hours ago, Anopheles said:

It my be quicker to mine horizontally with flatten tool for a hundred metres (then check detector),  then back to flatten.

I know some people do that, but I only find it faster before I have the talent to make the scanner scoop bigger. It's also harder on the fingers, unless you know a way to auto-dig with flatten.

6 hours ago, Benecor said:

Thanks for the well-written instructions.  I'm curious though - what are the non-newbie instructions?

You could use something like voice attack which allows you to make macros to auto-flatten.

The non-newbie method involves using a territory scanner - or 3 of them - to scan a bunch of hexes and find the ones that have the most of what you want. Then you dig down to the right depth and dig in a pattern that lets you scan the entire hex at that depth. You know exactly how much there is to find (because of the TS scans), so you know when you've found it all.

A territory scanner on an M core anti gravity ship floating from hex to hex can be very relaxing (Ts's take 15 minutes to scan an hex). 

Ts's are large, ungainly things and you have to build the ship accordingly.  In Alpha, I built a simple + shaped craft with an anti gravity generator and 6 anti gravity pods to carry a ts and a large container.

Imagine that's quite the solo build in beta, though.

A territory scanner on an M core anti gravity ship floating from hex to hex can be very relaxing (Ts's take 15 minutes to scan an hex). 

Ts's are large ungainly things and you have to build the ship accordingly.  In Alpha, I built a simple + shaped craft with an anti gravity generator and 6 anti gravity pods to carry a ts and a large container using M engines. 

That seems quite the solo build in Alpha though.

10 hours ago, Anopheles said:

Ts's are large, ungainly things and you have to build the ship accordingly.  In Alpha, I built a simple + shaped craft with an anti gravity generator and 6 anti gravity pods to carry a ts and a large container.

Imagine that's quite the solo build in beta, though.

Oh, that's a good use for AGG. Not that I'm likely to ever see one of those again with the economy nerf.