NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog: Resurrection Node Mechanics

(Posted Friday 10th of October 2014 on the DevBlog)

resurrection-node-arkship-low-small.jpg

When a player dies in Dual Universe, the "respawn" mechanism is articulated around the notion of Resurrection Nodes. We have already described in a previous post the quantum mechanical principle behind these incredible devices, and today I would like to discuss a bit more about the gameplay aspect. Resurrection Nodes are probably one of the most important element of the game, let's see what it means for all players.

One important thing to understand is that Resurrection Nodes (or RN) are expensive. Very. Whether you buy it or you collect the materials to craft it, this will be a considerable investment. You can't just put one on the way, just in case, without thinking too much about it. It will almost always be an investment, a careful choice made for a good reason.

That being said, when the game starts, you will be given two RN from the start: one preset inside the Arkship, and one free RN inside your inventory. Typically, you will set this second one wherever you decide to install your personal base. Beyond that, building additional RN will be something most players will not be able to afford before a certain amount of game time, and it will most likely be within a powerful organization like a state or a large company.

The way it works is simple: you first need to set up the node, except the one of the Arkship, which is always ready to use. A Resurrection Node is a power hungry machine (remember, the beast is twisting the fabric of the quantum multiverse space-time topology, in order to affect its probability distribution and save your ass). You need to power it and make sure it is fully charged, and the time it takes for a full charge will depend on the type of power source you can afford to use. This can range from a few minutes to a few days.

You can of course set up several nodes in different places at the same time. When you die, the closest RN will be used to respawn you inside its pod. It will lose its charge in the process, so it cannot be reused on the spot. The fact that you cannot choose which of your currently running RN will be used, and the closest one is taken instead, is crucial to avoid transforming the RN into a teleportation device.

Another important aspect: when you benefit from a RN, you respawn but your inventory will be randomly losing most items, as it is impossible to insure that the particular branch of the universe where you are now has the same past history as the one you come from. Beyond the inventory, you have also crucially lost your geographical position. You might have been teleported millions of kilometers away from where you died. And that might be very bad.

Imagine what it means in the context of a military situation. Your planet is suddenly attacked by a fleet of warships surrounding you. This is in the Orkras Empire, a very remote planetary system known for its aggressive gameplay. It is remote, so they must have travelled a long time before arriving here. Somewhere within the fleet, there must be a resurrection ship where all the players that are members of this expedition will respawn during the fight. Identifying this ship and destroying it becomes the most important war priority, as it will ensure that every death will send the attacking players back to their system, which is far away. Or, wait... maybe the RN are spread among all the ships? Or maybe there is a hidden resurrection ship on a not-too-distant moon? Or maybe the Orkrassian have secretly set up a RN base on your planet itself, long before the invasion, somewhere underground? The possibilities are endless.

And the counter attacks are also very rich: you have a spy in the Orkras Empire, and she has identified the threat of this attack for a long time already. You are ready. In particular, you know where the RN base has been secretly set up by the attacker on your planet. You have not destroyed it, instead, you have planted tons of explosives below it, ready to neutralize it when their fleet will arrive. It will be too late for them, and they will suffer heavy loss and destruction without being able to defend themselves for long. Or... maybe the Orkras actually know about your spy, and maybe the information about the RN base is false. And they had a backup somewhere else. This is emergent gameplay at its best: I can’t even start to imagine all the possibilities that you, the players, are going to invent! In any case, one thing is sure: the resurrection nodes are going to be a central element of gameplay and emergent strategies/counter-strategies between opposing factions. And we need to benchmark the mechanism during the alpha to make sure that it is well balanced. Everything exposed here remains - of course - subject to changes and revision with the feedback we’ll receive from the community!

JC Baillie,
Project Lead

I am assuming there will be a currency in this game, and I was wondering do you lose some of your currency as well when you die. I think if you made dying harsher than being moved else ware and losing some of your items it could further prevent people from using it as a teleport pad. Also if the RN doesn't have a charge you can't use it right? Will you be able to make RN that can store multiple charges?

Hey Jared, very fascinating, you've got my gears winding up now  :3

I believe the charge element refers more to a constant supply of electricity, like you say though, maybe the device could store several ready-to-go respawn charges before needing more electricity.

Think if a spy sneaked in and cut the power cord somewhere. Instead of simply destroying the R-Node because the spy, or the spy's guild can capture it later for its wealth.

The way it works is simple: you first need to set up the node, except the one of the Arkship, which is always ready to use. A Resurrection Node is a power hungry machine (remember, the beast is twisting the fabric of the quantum multiverse space-time topology

What is -possibly- happening is this machine somehow monitors for your death, and it is able to save your fundamental 'spark' your consciousness whatever it is that makes you,you, it doesnt care about your memories or knowledge per say, just saving the core essence.

In the regeneration of the body, it eats a massive ammount of power to distort the fabric of time-space to make a copy of the past, or even a seperate dimension. and puts "the you from 5 seconds ago" into the world, as it is reconstructing all the particles, it dumps your 'core spark' into this new body.

That body may or may not have built a Super Duper Proton Gun last week, or it could be a body from 5 days ago that never learned Herbology level 3. It might be a body from a different, nearby, dimension that didnt build any body armor.

just speculating though.

Going back to review the plausibility of a resurrection node. I was actually woken up today, may 25th, by this thought.

It's possible the universe doesnt care too much about you being alive or being dead. and that the RN is able to present an argument to the fabric of time space saying "Hey that person isnt dead they've been standing right here." Taking only the energy to produce a wave strong enough to counter argue the universe.

The universe attempting to keep its substance unified, just goes "Oh, my mistake" and will begin to recreate you from the most recent point it thought you were alive. Resulting in you being "Respawned" on the RN pad.

Think of it like a puddle of water, and something causes a ripple, this event was your death. This machine the RN says these ripples arent true producing a counter ripple that negates the death ripple from its location. And thus causes you to ressurect on the pad.

If a principle that all matter exists everywhere, but is awaiting input from a stronger force, probably time, location, and quantity. I suggest that when the machine makes the argument you never died and the universe goes "Ok, lets see." It performs its checks to see if you already exist in order to prevent a single line paradox, because if you did exist, it would probably make a fork in the road producing a parralell universe instead of breaking an already existing timeline.

If you were dead, it would make a bridge gap between whatever point it thought you were alive at, and the time that the machine is saying you are alive now. Bringing someone back from a long time ago may not be possible due to some kind of degradation of signal or the initial Death Wave is too far away for the Negation Wave to ever catch up, or even that the death wave already moved through the entire puddle and there isnt anything to Negate anymore. Or bringing someone from very far away for a similar purpose of wave degredation.

The difference between say, the machine being told to recreate a broken ship, and recreate you, is that the universe knows that the iron exists somewhere else already, but when it checks for your consciousness and doesnt find it, it thinks  it has messed up and then attempts to correct itself to prevent a rip in the timeline.

I would ask a theoretical physicist for an opinion. or someone with a good understanding of math. If someone is really interested in making the RN work as realistically as possible.

Going back to review the plausibility of a resurrection node. I was actually woken up today, may 25th, by this thought.

It's possible the universe doesnt care too much about you being alive or being dead. and that the RN is able to present an argument to the fabric of time space saying "Hey that person isnt dead they've been standing right here." Taking only the energy to produce a wave strong enough to counter argue the universe.

The universe attempting to keep its substance unified, just goes "Oh, my mistake" and will begin to recreate you from the most recent point it thought you were alive. Resulting in you being "Respawned" on the RN pad.

Think of it like a puddle of water, and something causes a ripple, this event was your death. This machine the RN says these ripples arent true producing a counter ripple that negates the death ripple from its location. And thus causes you to ressurect on the pad.

If a principle that all matter exists everywhere, but is awaiting input from a stronger force, probably time, location, and quantity. I suggest that when the machine makes the argument you never died and the universe goes "Ok, lets see." It performs its checks to see if you already exist in order to prevent a single line paradox, because if you did exist, it would probably make a fork in the road producing a parralell universe instead of breaking an already existing timeline.

If you were dead, it would make a bridge gap between whatever point it thought you were alive at, and the time that the machine is saying you are alive now. Bringing someone back from a long time ago may not be possible due to some kind of degradation of signal or the initial Death Wave is too far away for the Negation Wave to ever catch up, or even that the death wave already moved through the entire puddle and there isnt anything to Negate anymore. Or bringing someone from very far away for a similar purpose of wave degredation.

The difference between say, the machine being told to recreate a broken ship, and recreate you, is that the universe knows that the iron exists somewhere else already, but when it checks for your consciousness and doesnt find it, it thinks it has messed up and then attempts to correct itself to prevent a rip in the timeline.

I would ask a theoretical physicist for an opinion. or someone with a good understanding of math. If someone is really interested in making the RN work as realistically as possible.

Wow that is incredibly well thought out Saffi. I like the idea of the massive sentient universal being to remind us that we the players are just pawns in the universe's big game of chess. So the RNs are the stronger pieces that can counteract the actions of the universe's pieces.

Since RNs are expensive and new players have one in their inventory, can't established players just try to talk new players into selling their RNs comparatively cheaply? Or will the starter RNs be locked to a particular player in some way?

If I had a really powerful power source, what's the quickest that I could charge an RN? If quickly relative to long distance travel times, couldn't I use RNs with a timer or remote signal on the power system as a way to still teleport by changing where my nearest charged RN was? If I empty my inventory first then there doesn't sound like there's any penalty.

Hi Ceowulf,

The Resurrection Node you will have at the beginning will most likely be "bound to character" (let's say this one will be the property of the United Nations and/or the Arkship, and has been graciously given to each colonist to the condition of not selling it ;)), precisely to avoid altering the game economy by having many players creating multiple accounts just to sell their RN. But keep in mind the Resurrection Node will come with the Combat & Death System, which won't be implemented yet in early Alpha. So nothing is set into stone yet. It's a bit early to discuss this topic in details, but thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts! It will be taken into account when we will make final decisions on this game mechanics design :)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hi guys,

I was reading the devblog, and I also have a few concerns about this RN. As it is going one of the central core mechanic of the game, it has to be done quite right from the start. In this regard, we, as a community, need to think about pretty much every scenarii where it could be abused, unbalanced, etc.

Some preliminary thoughts:

> if RN provided to new-comers is very expensive to build, and rare to find, this opens a large breach to abuse, scam or bad fortune, namely:

- multiple character creation abuse

- scam of newcomers by most experienced players either for money, notoriety or fun (thus turning down potential interested long time players and impacting the player base)

- new players popping their first RN in place that makes no sense at all, only to regret it 10 mn later

The first tricky point here is about owning a unit of RN right from the start, which is a great idea, but can lead to abuses, scams, complete mess in the starting zone, etc.

My guess is that the new-comer-version RN should be a unique item instead (not researchable, not buildable, which cannot be traded, or dropped, or destroyed), bound to the character, which could be deployed and put back in new-comers inventory with flexibility, but which would run out of charges, or be "returned to the arkship" after some lending time. The idea here is to stop right from the start any possible scam or abuse, while allowing new players to get familiar with the RN function and its importance in the game.

That is a first idea.

Now, here is set of questions concerning any other RN that would be found in the game (and which would not be a new-comer RN):

- would they be bound? to the character? to the account? To the organization?

- where, when and how could they be deployed?

- How many can be deployed in the same "area" without cluttering too much and deteriorating both the view and the player experience?

- Can one RN be used by several players, uploading their "RN-ID" in an already existing one, thus using their unit, or some sort of token they bought/constructed/etc, but leading to a cleaner "environment".

- car RN be reused? Can they be destroyed?

- can RN exist as blueprint? can they be built by single players / organizations?

- can their access be restricted to the players deploying them? can they be shared with friends / organization members? To which extent can they be beneficial for others friends or foes?

- can these "permissions" be set up on them? Can something similar be set up on very first new-comer version, for a new player to enjoy with his friends?

- will there be different sort of RN? player type? organization type instead?

- how will it merge with the tag system?

I actually realize now that part of these questions has been answered, part are being under discussion and part has not been debated yet (of my knowledge), this is almost a future RN FAQ we got here! :)

My 2 cents,

Dociel

OK so it looks like there are three kinds using the same model and functionality but working a little different in terms of game play.

• The Ark ship units added at the ark ship powered by its "infinite" geothermal power. Open to every one dying without a powered unit. 
  • The personal unit that you get two of counting the above ark ship unit. You will spawn at the closest one.  I suspect yours will be very well concealed. These will work if charged and are repowered by power plants and batteries. This will be the driver to get your base technology up. These can not be sold or dropped. They may be indestructible or respawnable. 
  • An expensive crafted version that can be sold, licensed to resurrect your friends, org-members, allies. It may even be able to be set to resurrect anyone that has fallen close to it. That last one would be in your market to get traffic and sales. Emulating open to all the ark zone version. 

You lose some random items. I could see a line of weapon upgrades or skills that reduce the probability of a key item being lost. 

Spawn rooms and spawn ships would need big power systems and possibly big battery systems.  

OK so it looks like there are three kinds using the same model and functionality but working a little different in terms of game play.

• The Ark ship units added at the ark ship powered by its "infinite" geothermal power. Open to every one dying without a powered unit.
  • The personal unit that you get two of. You will spawn at the closest one. I suspect one will be very well concealed. These will work if charged and are repowered by power plants and batteries. This will be the driver to get your base technology up. These can not be sold or dropped. They may be indestructible or respawnable.
  • An expensive crafted version that can be sold, licensed to resurrect your friends, org-members, allies. It may even be able to be set to resurrect anyone that has fallen close to it. That last one would be in your market to get traffic and sales. Emulating open to all the ark zone version.
You lose some random items. I could see a line of weapon upgrades or skills that reduce the probability of a key item being lost.

Spawn rooms and spawn ships would need big power systems and possibly big battery systems.

You get ONE to move around freely and one is on the arkship

Two Ideas regarding respawn. But first let me express that I like the Rez Node and all the possibilities that go with it.

1. Considering we are looking at the far flung future I would propose that humans life is assisted continuously by biological nanites or Bionites. A Rez Node acts in providing missing Bionites and additionally their needed activation. If a character is sufficiently infused with Bionites then they will receive the less exhaustive activation process. If however they lack enough or any Bionites then the process is more energy intensive. The Bionites are the actual energy units whereas the Rez Node is the activator. Bionites can be something manufactured much like health potions or med packs in other games.

2. There is the possibility that a player has lost their ship, cargo and personal items. As the Rez Node is no doubt activated by a currently unnamed distress protocol then a sweep/scan from the Arkship may have located "remnants" or "debris" from the event. These articles could be available for recovery in the Arkship's Recovery Bay. Not everything lost will be available there and the remains of the character's ship will need repairs.

First thing some people are going to do is build a publicly accessible RN inside a "prison" and then not let people out until they pay a ransom. 

And 100 players will very quickly form a very big escape committee. 

Have to say I really like the theme behind this system. Not just another cliché clone tech or medical based. basically time travel based resurrection, sounds pretty timey wimey to me but I like. B)

How about something like this: in order to ressurect with your skills and inventory, you must be quantumly entangled with the RN by having your body and gear scanned into the unit. Basically, you create a save point and a respawn location. You are simultaneously in both places. It isn't perfect. 90% of the time you will respawn with all your skills and each piece of gear has a 90% of ressurecting with you. You have a 9% of losing a recently learned skill and each piece of gear has a 9% of not being in the ressurection template. Anything that doesn't ressurect gets dropped where you died. And you have a 1% of learning a new skill at random and a 1% of getting new or upgraded gear in each gear slot. Sort of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applied to quantum ressurection. That way people won't use RNs as galactic teleporters unless they're willing to take a risk. If the RN you are entangled with gets destroyed or captured and re-keyed to another player, your quantum signature is forwarded to the Ark ship RN complex.