Do we really need 100's of honeycombs?

Noonie

Do we really need to have all the different honeycombs, divided by different textures?  Having to keep so many different kinds of honeycombs on hand in order to give our creations different colors & textures is kind of a PITA.

I DO enjoy the varied statistics of the different honeycomb materials. (pure & products)  Would it not be easier on both the players and the servers if we limited the honeycomb down to one block based on it's material, and offer the players a "paint & texture tool" instead?

Thank you

On 9/9/2020 at 6:13 AM, culphy said:

It has been spoken about and a “ paint tool “ will come apparently this was the easiest/ fastest way of adding colours 

I hope this is true.

After spending my first weekend in the game, it became horrifically apparent that crafting every color and texture combo for JUST IRON was a terrible experience to put even the slightest variation in color/texture in one wall of my house. Then the resulting pile of blocks in inventory (all iron), making inventory management even more difficult. I couldn't imagine down the line how bad that would be. Especially given that just trying to FIND the right material in the Krafter was a long list to try and scroll through.

Granted they have the "Replace Voxel" tool which is very handy to change out whole chunks of one material to another material....

But they definitely need to work on a "Surface/Style/Paint/Texture" tool which simply lets you change out the color/texture ID on a given material voxel. Can be done in both selection box style, and aimed one-by-one voxel.

The lack of paint/texture tool is thus far my biggest worry with the style of the game.

6 hours ago, Tenryuta said:

if the white led cubes are any indication, they will atleast add more variety, to them alone hopefully(or a simple right click change color option, saw a bright set of tubes/leds on this one ship saturday, not sure how that was done:/)

Right clicking each cube and then navigating their menu system would be....... more painful than I would like to think about ;)

If they need inspiration on a good-extremely-fast and user friendly "Tool" which changes the surface style of a block... Empyrion has a good one. However due to how DU uses "RMB", pulling up the tool's color/texture chooser may end up another convoluted mess of hand stretching around the keyboard to some obscure key, or combo of keys.

For those not acquainted, it would be a tool that lets you choose a color and/or texture, then anything you aim and click on, changes to it (if the material can, given some materials lack certain colors/texture styles). Basically allowing you to 'spray paint' blocks with a continuous mouse-down & move-around action.

It really is simple to use. Far easier than figuring out which block to construct in a mile lone listing of blocks, wrestle with it in your inventory and to a sidebar slot, and fiddling with different tools, and swapping or placing the block down ...... only to find out "nope, that color/style doesnt look good here" .... and starting all over again.

My favourite part is that you can nanocraft Grey polished aluminium but as soon as you want grey patterned aluminium you need to make a minimum of 300m3 in the honeycomb factory at a cost of 3500 aluminium.

Make all colours and variants nanocraftable, I only need 20m3 for a small ship, not 300m3

Definitely agree that so many variants of it are crazy instead of having a small number.

How I would imagine it:

- Have a small number of different versions for the different roles they need to fit, e.g. glowing, lightweight, ship armor, base armor

- Have a paint tool to apply the material color, using the raw materials used now to make the honeycombs, e.g. steel, carbon, ...

- With the paint tool you can also decide the pattern, by pressing "e", like with the voxel tool for the shapes