Upgrading Cores (static)

Greyhunt

Hello,

So I have ran into the problem that my current static core isn't big enough anymore, and found out that you can't upgrade the core without destroying the whole building.

Why not make it possible to upgrade the static core in some way, so you can have the bigger building radius that comes with it?

The ways to get this to work (feel free to add them):

-A option in the right click to upgrade the core, this would replace the core with the bigger core

-Making so you can link more then 1 core into 1 building area, this wold work so you can expand the build space with more cores, while still needing the cores themselfs

-A option to parent/child the cores giving the main core a bigger building area.

-Letting us destroy a core and some sort of timer starts where you can place down another static core before the building is destroyed/availible for salvage

Let me know what you think.

Grey

Just now, facemywrath said:

I agree for sure, probably rightclick and have a change core button that lets you select 1 from your inventory.

It should remove the old core though.

Yea, that was my thought aswell, like replace the old core with the bigger one

Another possible option would be to just create a link between cores, you would need to have the borders of the build area for the cores "touching" each other so that you couldn't have 2 cores linked in separate territories, you would deploy the additional core inside your current base building area and then create a link between the two and then be able to move it outside of the build area but need to have the borders connecting....

Thoughts?

My org is getting ready to deploy our first large static core and the only reason I'm ok with moving our industry into it is because I'll be able to organize the unorganized mess it's become (even though I created it all lol)

This is a 'cold welcome' moment to new users. Especially when new users are told to buy the XS Static core to start their little hut (about all you can make inside that tiny area)... only to find out after spending days making a great place, and they wanted to 'expand', ... and oh ... cant. Have to destroy all your hard work and start from ground 1. DOH!

Really need some way to upgrade.

I like the idea of a timer to swap... pull one core out and you have X minutes to place another (bigger) core touching something on the remaining entity. If you don't, then it just all gets trash-collected by the server and vanishes (having an alert timer displayed on screen during this would be helpful to people to know they have removed the core and things will go *poof* in #:#:#).

On 9/14/2020 at 2:42 PM, Frigidman said:

This is a 'cold welcome' moment to new users. Especially when new users are told to buy the XS Static core to start their little hut (about all you can make inside that tiny area)... only to find out after spending days making a great place, and they wanted to 'expand', ... and oh ... cant. Have to destroy all your hard work and start from ground 1. DOH!

Really need some way to upgrade.

I like the idea of a timer to swap... pull one core out and you have X minutes to place another (bigger) core touching something on the remaining entity. If you don't, then it just all gets trash-collected by the server and vanishes (having an alert timer displayed on screen during this would be helpful to people to know they have removed the core and things will go *poof* in #:#:#).

This is a good proposed solution, and I agree on the harsh cold reality newcomers face today. I followed the tutorial + overbuilt a bit, then was a bit frustrated to find out I had to undo it all to 'upgrade'.

• 4 weeks later...

This is simply a must have function. At least for static cores. It is actually debatable if it should work with dynamic cores, but to completely reorganize your machines from scratch is nothing but a pain in the ass ->  VERY negative user experience.

• 3 months later...

So today I wanted to swap out a dynamic core form an xs to an s, as I wanted to add a resurrection node to my warp ship, as I keep coming in too hot and blowing up. But it seems you can lay an xs core on top of another xs core. Now it seems a I have to rebuild my ship from the ground up. I feel this is a simple feature that should be in the game. I could have spent a week designing a beautiful ship to immediately make all that work redundant, and a complete waste of my time. 

The game loop for a new player is work work work, not much fun building up quanta to buy bigger containers, then you have to build another ship to take that container mine again rinse and repeat, over and over again.

Sure everyone says join a corp, I'm in 2 both have if I'm lucky 2 members online, so not a lot of help there.

Really this is a game not work! Swapping cores is a quality of life improvement, its hardly game breaking.