Guest SlipperyNixon

Guest SlipperyNixon

I am running this game on a

PCIE Gen 4 sad,

x570 Mobo,

16 GB RAM (3600 mhz),

Ryzen 7 3700x (mildly oc'd to 4.03ghz),

and an RTX 2080 Super

And yet, it's basically unplayable...  It seems to be running at least 60 fps but is erratically stuttering worse than anything I've seen since I tried to play Star Citizen on a mechanical HDD. Seriously, it's the most egregious hitching I've ever experienced. To be fair I have all settings maxed at 3440 x 1440. Honestly though, that should be well within the realm of feasibility with this hardware. In reality, I have no particular desire of playing this game at these settings long term but I always max everything out at first to get a worse case scenario/bottom line and usually I can just run whatever it is well enough that I just leave everything ultra'd but I didn't expect this game to be very well optimized, to say the least. However, I don't really understand what is happening here. The actual frame rate is fine. It's definitely above 60 fps but it almost seems as though the depth of field post process is somehow partially responsible but that seems absurd to me (although, it is quite frankly immaculate in it's presentation. But its entirely too aggressive, or indiscriminate I guess, for my tastes and it's constantly turning on or off which is my why I'm accusing it specifically). Anyway, I'm not trying to be a lazy ass. I will investigate and tinker with these settings tomorrow, but I thought surely some of you fine space faring folk already have intimate knowledge pertaining to optimizing performance for this long awaited pre-release software. Also, now I'm just curious. I could imagine they've developed some fancy ass compartmentalized asset streaming tech like SC (star Citizen) but my ssd wouldn't bat and eye at such a thing and I was still running SC just fine, today in fact...  So, maybe it is just horribly optimized post processing? Idk that's a bit of a stretch I would think. Is it server-side? Because I have a 200 Mbps (download) connection and my network config has never been an issue in any application. Idk, but the game finally stopped violently stuttering long enough to crash after about 30 minutes. I would greatly appreciate any assistance from the knowledgeable among you.

I have a 2013 spec 4770K quad core CPU standard SATA “SAD” ? and 32GB of DDR3 RAM of some description. GPU is Zotac 1080Ti  bought second hand after the bitmining craze started to wear thin. 

I get 40+ FPS and while it’s a bit jumpy from time to time, especially when I land at a crowded marketplace, it’s generally actually not that bad.. at markets, I often suffer from elements not loading (just voxels with empty space where engines should be)

one thing I will say, though is that my CPU is constantly >70% even when doing nothing. 

I suppose we all have our own definition of unplayable. 

I have never used a monitor with > 60Hz display. 
(I have a VR with 144Hz, though) so maybe it’s more of a shock for you coming from COD or another twitch type game. 

for me, I came from ED at 60Hz and Cities Skylines which often went sub 30Hz with a massive city of 300k people. 

I play at 2560x1440p with medium shadows settings. I am also an SC backer and play it for a few days after every update to see how it’s coming along (waiting for SQ42). 

SC also runs fine on my middle aged spec PC so it’s gonna be peachy on yours. 

I have 2Gbps FTTH with sub ms latency to the first relay and <3ms to AWS so it might be thst is a factor ?

but DU is, as I say, generally ok. 

My PC is not as top of the line as probably most that will be posted here, I do have an AMD R9 285, 16 g's of DDR3 ram, SSD drive & 8 core AMD FX-8350.  Now I don't expect to run the game at max FPS like the newer machines, but do expect to be able turn my head ingame without  maximum stutter & complete stopage, the only way I've been able to move my character is by looking at the floor, the training tutorial has been very slow due to me not being able to move just a few meters without a load of stutter & stopage.  I have turned down the ingame gfx settings to hopefully give some fps back or stop the stutter but this results in zero changes.  At this point the game is unplayable for me.  I've been trying for hours.  There seems to be no specs posted anywhere on min/max for this game, no way to even check fps ingame to know if what I'm seeing is frame drops or what.  Very disappointed, been waiting on this game for several months.

Thanks for the replies fellas, and I hope it's obvious that I wasn't trying to spec flex. Rather, my intention was to establish that surely the hardware isn't to blame for this unpleasant hitching/stuttering. I'm about to do my best approximation of a digital foundry deep dive into this stuttering bullshit. I'll post any usefully findings here. If you never hear from me again, know that my findings cannot have been useful to anyone and take a moment to ponder the depth of the existential crysis that will have consumed me by then.

I myself have something fairly mid-range to lower high end as well (37x and a red devil 57xt) and my FPS is pretty much like everyone elses. Aside from volumetric clouds, all my graphics are down low is 30 to 40 FPS is as good as it's getting on the surface.

We've only just begun Alpha Beta, give it some time since this is supposed to be a performance uplifting phase.

10 hours ago, Guest SlipperyNixon said:

I am running this game on a

PCIE Gen 4 sad,

x570 Mobo,

16 GB RAM (3600 mhz),

Ryzen 7 3700x (mildly oc'd to 4.03ghz),

and an RTX 2080 Super

And yet, it's basically unplayable...  It seems to be running at least 60 fps but is erratically stuttering worse than anything I've seen since I tried to play Star Citizen on a mechanical HDD. Seriously, it's the most egregious hitching I've ever experienced. To be fair I have all settings maxed at 3440 x 1440. Honestly though, that should be well within the realm of feasibility with this hardware. In reality, I have no particular desire of playing this game at these settings long term but I always max everything out at first to get a worse case scenario/bottom line and usually I can just run whatever it is well enough that I just leave everything ultra'd but I didn't expect this game to be very well optimized, to say the least. However, I don't really understand what is happening here. The actual frame rate is fine. It's definitely above 60 fps but it almost seems as though the depth of field post process is somehow partially responsible but that seems absurd to me (although, it is quite frankly immaculate in it's presentation. But its entirely too aggressive, or indiscriminate I guess, for my tastes and it's constantly turning on or off which is my why I'm accusing it specifically). Anyway, I'm not trying to be a lazy ass. I will investigate and tinker with these settings tomorrow, but I thought surely some of you fine space faring folk already have intimate knowledge pertaining to optimizing performance for this long awaited pre-release software. Also, now I'm just curious. I could imagine they've developed some fancy ass compartmentalized asset streaming tech like SC (star Citizen) but my ssd wouldn't bat and eye at such a thing and I was still running SC just fine, today in fact...  So, maybe it is just horribly optimized post processing? Idk that's a bit of a stretch I would think. Is it server-side? Because I have a 200 Mbps (download) connection and my network config has never been an issue in any application. Idk, but the game finally stopped violently stuttering long enough to crash after about 30 minutes. I would greatly appreciate any assistance from the knowledgeable among you.

Same problem here, my pc is 7 years old, but runs current gen games relatively well, but dual universe is unplayable.

is there anything that can be done to improve performance?

according to this site https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=21192&framesPerSecond=Dual Universe i should run quite smoothly

So I made a few discovers on this, once I got done with the initial tutorial & went up to the moon, then made my hover craft & got away from the market area, it smoothed out pretty much, still doing some lag & stutter, but not so crazy like before.  Then after I claimed my first location, harvested some items, it sent me back to the market location & again super laggy, stutter, ect... so obviously this is not a PC spec issue, but has to do with when you get into populated areas with other players and/or large constructions, ect...