Xsolla, recurring payment.

Liljagare

• 4 weeks later...

I looked all over the place before finding it based on OP's suggestion. I played for 30 minutes before the first person nausea decided I won't be playing this one. I don't regret paying Novaquark as game development is expensive and they made what looks to be a fine game.

Now...how to turn off the subscription.

You will have an email from Mailer Xsolla. There is a sneaky little link that LOOKs like your standard email unsubscribe link, but is in fact, THE CANCEL RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION LINK.

Once you click it you will be redirected to support.xsolla.com and be able to turn off recurring payment. If this didn't make sense, see the attached screenshots.

I hope that Novaquark sees this shady ass method of cancelling a recurring sub and does something about it. Xsolla is playing dirty (again btw).

Best of luck to everyone.

xsolla unsubscribe confirm.PNG

xsolla unsubscribe email.PNG

xsolla unsubscribe.PNG

It's a subscription, by definition (and as a general rule) that means it is recurring. I'm not sure how that is shady?

It's also a business so clearly they are not going  to plaster the unsub link all over, this is pretty much common practice and if you choose to cancel you go look for the link or contact their support. You can also choose to use Paypal where you just remove the auto payment approval.

As an alternative, if you want to buy game time "manually", you can always use the MarkeeDragon gamecodes store as he is a business partner with NQ and you buy individual non recurring game-time codes from his store and apply them to your DU account.

On 9/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, sivarik said:

I looked all over the place before finding it based on OP's suggestion. I played for 30 minutes before the first person nausea decided I won't be playing this one. I don't regret paying Novaquark as game development is expensive and they made what looks to be a fine game.

Now...how to turn off the subscription.

You will have an email from Mailer Xsolla. There is a sneaky little link that LOOKs like your standard email unsubscribe link, but is in fact, THE CANCEL RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION LINK.

Once you click it you will be redirected to support.xsolla.com and be able to turn off recurring payment. If this didn't make sense, see the attached screenshots.

I hope that Novaquark sees this shady ass method of cancelling a recurring sub and does something about it. Xsolla is playing dirty (again btw).

Best of luck to everyone.

xsolla unsubscribe confirm.PNG

xsolla unsubscribe email.PNG

xsolla unsubscribe.PNG

Thanks for this. I'm a new player and I'm still trying to learn the ropes on this game but I don't want to give xsolla a blank check to pull funds every 3 months from my account. If I get the game and continue on I'll buy directly from markee.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

They have removed the above info from the email or at least I couldn't find it.  I was charged again today & had to go to the link at the bottom for Xsolla Customer Support  and requested a refund for todays purchase of a game I tried to play for 2 days but couldn't get it to run on my PC.  I will never buy anything from this company again.  To make unsubscribing to their product so difficult is unacceptable.

@OldEd502

Frantically going on a search for the unsub function after you get charged for another three months as per your agreement with NQ (through XSolla) while there has been an unsub button on the "my product" page on the website fora while and the way to unsub through XSolla is widely discussed here as well. So anyone who does not know how this works by now has pretty much only themselves to blame.

You also have posted about being in game so saying "I tried to play for 2 days but couldn't get it to run on my PC" seems at best exaggerated.

On 12/28/2020 at 6:34 PM, blazemonger said:

@OldEd502

Frantically going on a search for the unsub function after you get charged for another three months as per your agreement with NQ (through XSolla) while there has been an unsub button on the "my product" page on the website fora while and the way to unsub through XSolla is widely discussed here as well. So anyone who does not know how this works by now has pretty much only themselves to blame.

I think they disabled the ability to unsub for a while after .23 hit. I checked over several days after it dropped and the stop auto-renewal button wasn't there. Reading this reminded me that I needed to stop auto-renewal until NQ gets their head straight about what they want this game to be, and see if it's interesting. As I've been reading, I understand there will be a lot of tedious endeavors added, even more than the mindless mining, and I'm just not looking for another tedious game, so I may never come back.

My Xsolla recipt looked different from the ones I have seen posted and did not have any method for cancelling subscription.  There was also no option to opt out of automatic recurring payments.  Wether you think its shady or not might depend on the country you live in.  I have not specifically checked but I'm pretty sure its illegal here in Australia.

Anyway we can now unsubscribe on the DU website.  Log into your account and select "My Products"  You will see an unsubscribe button there.  I have done this and I assume Xsolla wont take any money out on the 24th of Jan (my expiry date).

• 3 weeks later...

this shit is so fuckin shady. unbelievable. make sure you all spread the word about this shit. yesterday in my profile: sub ended 18th of jan BUT i could still play. WHY??  AND TODAY i cant see anything in my profile, every information is GONE. it only says "subscriber". im not a subscriber anymore since december i told xsolla to stop the sub and they said they did stop it. dude i am getting really mad about this. this is the fastest way to lose players btw.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:45 PM, blazemonger said:

It's also a business so clearly they are not going  to plaster the unsub link all over, this is pretty much common practice and if you choose to cancel you go look for the link or contact their support.

Obfuscating the ability to cancel a sub isn't a best practice anymore and is increasingly uncommon. 

Most companies realize that hiding cancellation doesn't earn you more revenue -- it's counter-productive. If Netflix made me call in or hunt for a cancel link, the chance of my re-subscribing on a whim vanishes. It doesn't lower my desire to cancel, though. 

At the point where the customer wants to cancel, the only concern should be how to get them to re-sub later...if you make cancellation difficult when they've already decided to stop paying, you've shot yourself in the foot.

Customers that cancel are also customers that once had interest enough to pay...it's good business practice to treat them as potential future customers rather than obfuscate cancellation for the sake of eeking out another month's sub due to annoyance. 

Visa even has new rules governing subscriptions which would have already gone into effect already were it not for Covid delays. Among other things, it mandates an "easy" way to cancel subs and requires a reminder email 7 days before any trial subscription converts to a paid one. 

I think younger people especially might not be familiar with the old school "hunt for the cancel link" style of subs...that doesn't make NQ "thieves", though. I don't think it is malice, just that they have other things to do and haven't thought about this UX (they definitely should, though). 

If you really have trouble cancelling, email or call Xsolla customer service and threaten to contest or chargeback future charges if they do not cancel billing immediately. 

1 minute ago, michaelk said:

Obfuscating the ability to cancel a sub isn't a best practice anymore and is increasingly uncommon. 

There is a clear instruction on how to unsub in the email XSolla sends out on completion of the subscription. There is now a massive unsub button on the account page as well,  mainly because of the comments from people who were not reading the email they got from XSolla and blasting NQ for something they have no direct control over.

While yes, NQ's website design is very unstable and seems to have a lot of issues but suggesting that they removed that button on purpose for a while is frankly  speaking preposterous. NQ is and does a lot of things but this is not one of them IMO.

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

While yes, NQ's website design is very unstable and seems to have a lot of issues but suggesting that they removed that button on purpose for a while is frankly  speaking preposterous. NQ is and does a lot of things but this is not one of them IMO.

Yep, I've been through worse subs for sure. Hell, I've created worse subs than this by far...actual shady shit I'd rather not talk about lol.

I appreciate that NQ added a real button in the account -- that's definitely an improvement compared to beta launch. 

Still, it really isn't that hard to create a sub system anymore. Plenty of providers other than Xsolla. Maybe they'll migrate to a new platform near launch. 

I'm pretty sure NQ is bound to use XSolla exclusive for a set time as part of an investment agreement as one of their former investors also owns.... XSolla
While there were no further investments made, in these type of investments, those agreements stand for the agreed time. It would be trivial for NQ to add a PayPal option to their own website and do it all themselves.. It's also way easier for PayPal users to cancel recurring payments.