Subscription Question

CMHWoody

So I have a questions about the subscription.

First of all, let me state that I have NO issue at all with subscription games and your subscription price is on the lower end, so eminently affordable.  I nearly always pay the subscription for the sub benefits even in games where it is technically optional.

So, to my questions:

If I subscribe and get access to the beta, does my game time start only once the game is officially released?  If not, exactly why should I pay you to test the game for you?  This just doesn't make much sense to me from a consumer point of view. Beta is, by definition, NOT a fully functional release version and players should not have to pay you to test your game.  if you are arguing that the game is fully functionality and of release quality which justifies my subscription, then why not just have it in release status and continue to develop?  This makes zero sense to me.  If you see the beta subscription as more of a "backer" type player then why is it not like the prior backer players who are playing the beta for free?  Really, no matter how I look at it, it does not make sense for a consumer to pay for a beta quality release (which you are admitting to by calling it a beta).

Of course, if my game time does not start until official release then all of the points above are moot and can be ignored.  

No, you are right in that for new players who did not purchase any of the pledge packs, their game time starts ticking with the purchase of these subscription.

For your question though, I believe they gave their short blurb on the page where you purchase the subscription, but they've also recorded their response in a Q&A as well. Basically, it's a combination of their need for funding to support additional players on the servers and also so that there is (albeit obviously not foolproof) a layer of screening against players that may come into the game simply to grief. 

Reference:

One consolation is that Beta is also intended as a soft-launch and a reset/wipe is not expected for the Official Release and whatever you create will remain in some form or fashion. So despite the "beta quality release" it isn't for naught and also puts emphasis on why they would want that additional layer of screening.

All said, the labeling as Beta is intentional in terms of framing expectations and if you'd prefer to play an officially released and polished game, it may be better to hold off.

Thank your for the reply. The fact that things will not be wiped is a key item as that shifts the beta to more like a release.  It's still a little difficult for me to overcome paying for a beta, just solely based on principle, but that's something I'd obviously have to get over if I am interested in checking it out.     

And I understand funding issues.. Infrastructure and hardware isn't cheap. 

The anti-griefing take is a little concerning as that suggests the game systems themselves aren't great at preventing griefing, but pvp will always be pvp and you'll have your bad apples.  Gaming (and it's accompanying largely anonymous presence by players) has long been a hot bed for the absolute worst type of folks for no reason that I can glean. 

The game as it stands now is still clearly under development...but...even if i were not an alpha backer i would still be happy to sub right now...these are my core reasons why.

1.  You get to pick your 'home' early on and have a much better choice of locations on Sanctuary (the safe starting world).  I have set my pitch up on the edge of a lake and it makes the world feel a lot more personal.  After a year or so (maybe a lot sooner) most if not all of the 'best' (whatever you view as best, lakeside, mountain side etc) locations will have gone...

2.  It takes a long time to get into the game.. a lot of trial and error on building so you get lots of time to practice and develop your ships.

3.  There is already quite a bit to do...mostly in the building area but still, its going to keep you busy.

4.  You get to start the clock ticking on training your talents.. they train in real time, even if you are off line so good to get going sooner rather than later.

5.  These guys have built something very unique here that could have an amazing future, I am glad im part of it and helping this game get the best launch possible.  There arent many games in this genre out there, if we want these types of experiences to last all we can do it help with funding.  Im no game developer:)