NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog: A single-shard continuous universe: one world, no boundaries.

I main concern is the performance that the game will have during these large gatherings. Either it be a local trading hub or battle in space if FPS is very low and choppy, like Eve Online gets and Space Engineers. I'm guessing this is a concern for the developers and at this stage we don't know yet. 

NQ technology is specifically designed to deal with that. Unless you've got 30 people on a stair well or everyone on the the same 8 square metre landing pad, something that does happen in Planetside 2, you should have no problems. Note: Planetside 2 is re designing its biolabs now to eliminate those lag traps and to add more building game play. 

There is another form of lag that occurs when someone is on a different region or has low bandwidth. The NQ technology does not solve that but possibly could help in two ways.

• Measure the latency at both ends and adjust the server density proportionally to compensate.
  • Or measure the latency and add a buff to shields and accuracy to compensate. Thus if you have 150 fps due to an over loaded optic fibre link you get +15% shields and +3 accuracy but only if the other guy has much lower latency. I know there is a term for that but I can't find it.   

In terms of game play DU will be much more like Planetside 2 ground and air combat until you get to space then while space is big it will be very much like world of warships with the heavy use of zoom functions to negate distance. Small ships spotting and doing hit and run attacks while the large ships hammer away at shields, turrets and sensors. The repair crew will not just be a hot key and timer but actual player running around using real skills fixing and repairing things. 

Every element will need a damaged form and a operational form. Much like planetside 2 or World of tanks. 

*Note it is not actually the optic fibre links that get over loaded but the nodes they link to/ through. This is why optic fibre maps note the nodes.  

http://geography.oii.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/InternetTube_v2-01.png

and http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

In both cases the dots are where you get the distance based lag.