Disable force re-spawn

I know at first this idea may not seem appealing but think about it. When mass wars start prisoners will be a great idea for a more realistic feel. If a player can just force re-spawn then they could just escape easily. If they couldn't they could, one remain a prisoner until set free or , two have to be rescued/broken out. I feel it truly needs to be considered because i feel it would make wars much more interesting. Plus it could open up opportunity for bounties requested on players alive rather then dead.

Prisoner mechanics could have a cooldown timer. A player could be imprisoned until he logs out or after thirty minutes; whichever comes last. One has to agree with Lethys: incarceration without the respawn mechanics is akin to kidnapping. That's not ideal for the game.

Were the developers to implement such a tool, I wouldn't expect to see it until after release.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:04 AM, Lethys said:

I then pay for a game on a monthly basis and not be able to play. Sounds like a very good business model to burn down and kill this game 

obviously this would be a post release feature however there would be little to war other then continuous killing. what if there is a re spawn point where a enemy is trying to infiltrate. they would kill guards and would have infinite resistance. Also it would be necessary for ransoms. Plus they could still be broken out and rescued and if not they could come to an agreement.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:08 AM, Vyz Ejstu said:

Prisoner mechanics could have a cool down timer. A player could be imprisoned until he logs out or after thirty minutes; whichever comes last. One has to agree with Lethys: incarceration without the respawn mechanics is akin to kidnapping. That's not ideal for the game.

Were the developers to implement such a tool, I wouldn't expect to see it until after release.

As great as that may seem what would stop people from just logging off or waiting it out. that would make the whole prisoner aspect useless.

13 hours ago, Lexant said:

As great as that may seem what would stop people from just logging off or waiting it out. that would make the whole prisoner aspect useless.

That depends on what you're trying to achieve with the prisoner mechanic. Are you trying to inconvenience the player, or attempting to deter them from exhibiting a behaviour? For the former, I think the suggestions work fine, ergo:

'whichever comes last.'

Anything more than a mild to moderate inconvenience to the player would deter all but the most determined. In this case: stop the players from engaging in PvP to avoid the harsh consequences. A captor could log out for days or months. The captive would require developer intervention. What happens when nefarious tendencies are displayed? There's something missing here. What do you want the proposed mechanic to achieve?

On 5/26/2020 at 7:01 AM, Lexant said:

obviously this would be a post release feature however there would be little to war other then continuous killing. what if there is a re spawn point where a enemy is trying to infiltrate. they would kill guards and would have infinite resistance. Also it would be necessary for ransoms. Plus they could still be broken out and rescued and if not they could come to an agreement.

it doesn't really matter if or when it's implemented - it's still a bad idea imho

wdym by infinite resistance? Even IF you have a rez-node nearby to attack someone, you don't automatically have infinite resources. You need guns, ammo, armor,... which you might lose when you die (AVA mechanics aren't a thing yet and haven't been talked about much)

Don't really see this neccessary for ransoms - you can still ask ransoms for bases, territory and ships. No need to punish players with a useless mechanic which only hinders them from playing the game they actually pay for

Star Citizen has implemented a prison mechanic now which really is not bad.. Depending on your crime stat you will be in prison for X amount of time. You can choose to sit it out, work in the mines to shorten your time or find a way to escape..

While a first iteration it actually works fairly well..

16 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Star Citizen has implemented a prison mechanic now which really is not bad.. Depending on your crime stat you will be in prison for X amount of time. You can choose to sit it out, work in the mines to shorten your time or find a way to escape..

In the OP's view, a cool-down timer is not ideal. He'd rather the incarcerated found a way out or were freed only by the detainer. Glitching out of prison is a bug. I doubt it will make it to full release. Unlike Star Citizen, Dual Universe does not have NPCs who enforce security standings at ports, cities and stations. The captive player will have to rely on the good graces of his jailer or weaknesses in the jail's layout. 

As to how such a thing will be implemented in the first place: I'm lost. Will a new 'hand-cuff' tool or asset be introduced? I find it hard to believe many people will submissively follow another player to prison. Does he intend for a 'jail-resurrection node' to interfere with the functions of the resurrection nodes?

On 5/28/2020 at 3:53 AM, Vyz Ejstu said:

In the OP's view, a cool-down timer is not ideal. He'd rather the incarcerated found a way out or were freed only by the detainer. Glitching out of prison is a bug. I doubt it will make it to full release. Unlike Star Citizen, Dual Universe does not have NPCs who enforce security standings at ports, cities and stations. The captive player will have to rely on the good graces of his jailer or weaknesses in the jail's layout. 

As to how such a thing will be implemented in the first place: I'm lost. Will a new 'hand-cuff' tool or asset be introduced? I find it hard to believe many people will submissively follow another player to prison. Does he intend for a 'jail-resurrection node' to interfere with the functions of the resurrection nodes?

a handcuff tool would be a good idea. possibly disable the force re spawn however it only lasts so long and would have to be reapplied if sentenced longer.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:05 AM, blazemonger said:

I would only be a proponent of this since it's an NPC enforced system. Having a game enforced crime status that is highly visible to other players IMO would be a great addition since it gives you an easy idea of who you can trust (trust being another public indicator separate from crime that I'd love to see). Unfortunately none of this will ever happen on NQ's part and only be done by players word of mouth if it even happens at all.

If a imprisonment system were to be player run, then arbitrary sentencing can be handed out on a whim and I will refer you to the first reply to this thread. If I'm not allowed to play, why bother paying?

I do not see how a prison system is "moronic". While I can see a point in being locked up with no way out but to wait for the good will of your capturer is something I agree is not wanted and counter productive, that does not justify the blanket dismissal of such a gameplay mechanic.

As I see it, allowing "bad boy" gameplay which in itself will by nature inflict damage and potential remove gameplay enjoyment from other players because there is no consequences to it is equally "moronic" and a possible cause for people to stop playing. Maybe a prison system is not viable, it would be good to discuss this outside of just dismissing it, but there need to be consequences. for actions, be it good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...

The only use for a prison or brig (on ships) I can see would be to exact punishment within orgs, as a prisoner role could be bound to a cell rez-node (I've been out of the loop for a while, so not on the up and up about current mechanics) and prisoners be given that role. Punishment would be served as time or work and only be applicable if the individual wants to stay in the org. But as a wartime measure, I don't see much point in forcing someone to spend potentially hours locked up. 

• 2 months later...