Question about graphics quality

I'm interested in DU, I'm a longterm Eve-online player who sometimes vacations in Elite Dangerous. Seemingly DU potentially offers the best of both, i.e. something like the Eve universe with maybe ED combat overlaid.

I watched some of the vids and gameplay looks good but the graphics quality is pretty poor. Is this just the "alpha" effect or the expected quality the game will have?

The combat is more like EVE's lock+target. I don't know what Elite's combat is.

If the graphics are off-putting to you then you may prefer to wait for full release then it's not a question of words but of what you see and your own subjective preferences.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, Borb_1 said:

The combat is more like EVE's lock+target. I don't know what Elite's combat is.

That's disappointing. ED's combat is more like a sim, whether the flight physics is "true" or not I don't know but it is actually fun. Eve's combat is "Executive Control" and not my thing really. Oh well.

Glad to help people discover what fits their preferences.

I, personally already enjoyed the graphics of DU in it's pre-alpha: The underlying voxel 3d solar system and scale was amazing with only sufficient visual representation for me. Since then, the graphics are gradually improved so from my own perspective the graphics are way above my expectations. However I can imagine those who seek "realism/high fidelity" will find the graphics less enjoyable. Personally I believe graphics are a much lower priority (ok at a minimum level they need to smooth and not an eyesore) than the attractiveness immediately value they do actually seem to posses over the longer-term depth of game systems.

That said I find a different scenario for the combat. Initially I thought this was a let-down not to have physics combat in the way Star Citizen has showcased except when viewing that, it makes me feel motion-sickness, I can't see what the hell is actually going on, the action is indeed reactive however it's bland after a few "bumps and shudders and spins" becoming repetitive and not engaging mentally.......... and that last point is I fingers-x hoping where DU can be a bit more exciting via mental decisions to be made during combat and coordinating player communication. Equally at a slower pace more abstracted in 3D space it might just be a more interesting and manageable picture for my brain to enjoy as well. Again the high-octane action comparison in space for me is not as fun as having full physics might suggest. I think the exec sitting sipping coffee on the bridge "wargames" might end up being really cool sort of integrating the likes of "Artemis Bridge Simulator" but in MMO?! ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 4:44 PM, Flatulent Ferret said:

That's disappointing. ED's combat is more like a sim, whether the flight physics is "true" or not I don't know but it is actually fun. Eve's combat is "Executive Control" and not my thing really. Oh well.

Ship movement is physics based like in ED, but weapons lock on like in EvE, so I guess I'd describe more as a hybrid.