want to pledge $60, what is status of alpha test, etc?

zoldos

I'm hoping to pledge $60 with my stimulus check.  What is involved with the Alpha test?  Can I actually "play"?  How much of the game is completed?  I got tired of waiting for Star Citizen.  DU looks awesome!   And I also get a Beta key?  What about the full release when it is ready? Thanks!

It is in Alpha 3, next stage is beta: https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2019/12/04/roadmap-update/

Tests are usually 4 days a week, but varies: https://www.dualthegame.com/en/server-status/

The beta key/s you get with pledge you can give away to someone else when beta starts, you get alpha and beta access.

1 DAC = one month subscription after release, so it is like a pre-order of 3 months for the $60 pledge

• 2 weeks later...

As with anything, YMMV. It's easy to ask for opinions, but deciphering the answers will be harder.

I am a NMS prepurchaser and Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen kickstarter backer. And I am a strong supporter of crowdfunding, with all its frustrations. 
So please bear in mind that I am used to playing incomplete/buggy space games over the last 6 years, so take that into consideration when reading my impressions.

DU is a mixed bag. It is an amazing concept, beautifully rendered, but still has glaring omissions and frustrating inconsistencies.
Stability is generally ok, but tends to get a bit dodgy at times and require players to avoid certain tasks or wait for a server reset.
There are currently very few game breaking bugs.

While Alpha 3 feels somewhat more complete than Alpha 2 did, there are still many problems: The in-game toolset is not complete and balance for many things is out of whack.

Also, as @dizolve above said, there is no ingame help or up-to-date tutorials, so in my spare time (usually towards the end of test periods) I hang around the starting areas and help noobs upgrade their first crafts, teach them the controls etc...

The tests start most Thursdays (three times a month is typical) and last until the Monday. But this Week's test is scheduled to last for over a week, so it might be a good time to get involved.

TL:DR   If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket and enjoy sandbox/space games and can be patient with bugs then DU should provide you a decent return on your money.

• 3 weeks later...

I just pledged after watching the trailer myself. But I'm also wondering if I start digging in now and playing, will I keep any progress made or do I start fresh again on the final copy of the completed game? Just wondering if I should wait to play beyond feeling it out.

On 5/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, YodaXDan said:

I just pledged after watching the trailer myself. But I'm also wondering if I start digging in now and playing, will I keep any progress made or do I start fresh again on the final copy of the completed game? Just wondering if I should wait to play beyond feeling it out.

Whatever you build you can make a blueprint of. You keep the blueprints, so after the final wipe (possibly the wipe before beta) that's all you'll have.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:00 AM, Haunty said:

Whatever you build you can make a blueprint of. You keep the blueprints, so after the final wipe (possibly the wipe before beta) that's all you'll have.

everything is questionable to future testing. could change

2 hours ago, zoldos said:

I think I'll wait until it's released, then get it. ?

In general I really think that if you need to ask, the answer is generally no. As you referenced SC, that is a very different animal all together and frankly it makes me wonder what it is you are looking for. SC, for all it's issues and "bad press" has come a _long_ way in the past few years, you only have to look at videos and citcon from a few years back to realize it. Both SC and DU are very much in Alpha state but the way either dev approaches that is very different.

Both DU and SC are breaking ground into uncharted territory and both game devs are having to develop their own tech and tools to get to their vision for their respective games which takes time and requires patience from the backers but that is where the compare ends. I do believe that based on your comments about SC it may indeed be best to wait and not get involved with games which are (partially) crowdfunded at all since it feels you are looking for a game to play, not for a developer to support in their effort to get their vision to a released game. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.

23 hours ago, blazemonger said:

In general I really think that if you need to ask, the answer is generally no. As you referenced SC, that is a very different animal all together and frankly it makes me wonder what it is you are looking for. SC, for all it's issues and "bad press" has come a _long_ way in the past few years, you only have to look at videos and citcon from a few years back to realize it. Both SC and DU are very much in Alpha state but the way either dev approaches that is very different.

Both DU and SC are breaking ground into uncharted territory and both game devs are having to develop their own tech and tools to get to their vision for their respective games which takes time and requires patience from the backers but that is where the compare ends. I do believe that based on your comments about SC it may indeed be best to wait and not get involved with games which are (partially) crowdfunded at all since it feels you are looking for a game to play, not for a developer to support in their effort to get their vision to a released game. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.

I've supported many games by becoming a backer and I also enjoy micro transactions in "free" games.  SC was actually gifted to me several years ago.  DU looks awesome, but I simply can't justify $60 when that can go to a great many other things.

I appreciate your candid reply! :)

Oh hey, another Star Citizen player making the jump across. Yeah, I totally feel ya wanting to wait, I think a lot of us dived head into SC and yeah, the 7 and a half year wait is grinding quite a bit, specially the buggy mess it is right now. I personally have spent on here now, mostly for the beta keys to give to members of my org (I run our DU side) in order to bolster the numbers of people testing. I have been following this game for years though, and used to be in a different group but came back yesterday after discovering a large amount of us feeling the same way and wanting to play it (as an alternative and addition to SC)