Looking to jump in...

Hampius

Hello everyone,

I’ve been following the project for quite a while and despite my initial concerns I find it very well thought idea of an (almost) ideal sci-fi MMO, however I have one important for me matter I’d like to ask about, but before that some history. I’m a long time MMO player since the days of Ultima Online. Over those years main things that kept me playing those games, apart of gameplay stuff was immersion. This is the key factor for me and to name one game that trully achieved a master’s degree in this area is EVE Online.

If some of you played the game you surely have witnessed how the world is designed so that everything seems believable (as much as a game can be), especially in terms of ship design. 
And that is my main concern about Dual Universe - the game is set in sci-fi universe. However despite freedom in creating things I somewhat expect it to be sci-fi. Considering the possibilites in building things (including ships) I can already imagine corporations/organisations with outstandingly looking designs of ships or bases and that’s great! But...I can also imagine flying ships that look like some MyLittlePonies, chickens, toilets, etc. For me it’s a total immersion breaker and therefor something I wouldn’t like to happen, so I’d like to ask are there any restrictions to what can be designed to follow a certain theme or it’s totally FFS? Or maybe are there planned servers especially for role-playing stuff with rules that determine design theme so that flying toilets aren’t a thing?

Kind regards,

H.

32 minutes ago, Hampius said:

For me it’s a total immersion breaker and therefor something I wouldn’t like to happen, so I’d like to ask are there any restrictions to what can be designed to follow a certain theme or it’s totally FFS?

who should enforce those restrictions? NQ will only step in if it is smth REALLY offensive or if it's some kind of copyright material (Star Wars ships and such) - everything else is fair game and can (and possibly will) happen

34 minutes ago, Hampius said:

Or maybe are there planned servers especially for role-playing stuff with rules that determine design theme so that flying toilets aren’t a thing?

DU is a single shard server MMO, there won't be any private servers. There's only ever going to be one gameworld ever

2 minutes ago, Lethys said:

who should enforce those restrictions? NQ will only step in if it is smth REALLY offensive or if it's some kind of copyright material (Star Wars ships and such) - everything else is fair game and can (and possibly will) happen

DU is a single shard server MMO, there won't be any private servers. There's only ever going to be one gameworld ever

Thank you for the quick answear. Unfortunately it’s bad to hear, so I guess I’ll pass on getting the game - I really don’t want to see flying ponies everywhere... o7

5 minutes ago, Hampius said:

Thank you for the quick answear. Unfortunately it’s bad to hear, so I guess I’ll pass on getting the game - I really don’t want to see flying ponies everywhere... o7

don't worry - I only build huge ass mustangs. No ponies involved :D

I get your frustration and I get why ppl don't like this - but that's just how it will be, unfortunately for you. Have a good one mate o7

An unfortunate drawback to total freedom in ship design. Walking down the streets of a neon city on a moon and then seeing a penis shaped ship flying overhead does ruin the immersion and I totally get how you feel. Personally though,I wouldn't let that caveat ruin the rest of the gameplay. No way am I not gonna play the game just because I saw a dick-shaped ship flying over me. This is just my opinion on the matter though,cheers bud.

The assumption that you're going to constantly be seeing unconventional non-sci-fi constructs just because they are possible isn't the reality though.

I don't know. Just might make it more Douglas Adams instead of George Lucas.  The only reason we do not see these things right now in reality is because real life is ridiculously expensive.  If some mega billionaire decided they wanted spaceships that looked like penises then that is what we would have.  Since the cost of an online game is much lower than real life and the internet is mostly anonymous people are much more willing to push against the borders of normality.

• 3 weeks later...

I did already see some funny designs what in my opinion brakes the theme abit. When you consider other games/MMO´s such as Secondlife was, it can look quite ugly. Not sure I would like to see too much eyesores, except you can purchase entire planets later for yourself or your corporation, put up your own land or building covenant everyone hast to follow, or ban/block and keep out all the bad stuff else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 11:45 PM, zwd_du said:

I don't know. Just might make it more Douglas Adams instead of George Lucas.  The only reason we do not see these things right now in reality is because real life is ridiculously expensive.  If some mega billionaire decided they wanted spaceships that looked like penises then that is what we would have.  Since the cost of an online game is much lower than real life and the internet is mostly anonymous people are much more willing to push against the borders of normality.

Disagree on the pricing point.  It is because people are more self conscious than they let on and games are anonymous.  A custom paint job runs in the low thousands.  If you go on craigslist you can probably find a decaler who will do it for less than a thousand.  That is obtainable.

I haven't come across a single vehicle painted with a phallus, my little pony, or any other eyesores.

Heck, to further illustrate custom tshirts are like $30.  Have I seen some absurd shirts before?  Sure, but not nearly as many phalluses in game.

Am I saying it shouldn't be allowed in DU?  No.  Have at it.   Aesthetics have never mattered to me in a game, especially one with so much player freedom.  It is literally the point of the game