Australian Servers / Players

zweytz

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is any information about Australian servers coming to the game as i know from experience that playing with high lag just doesn't make for a fun in game experience. Knowing what i hope this game will become i cant imagine playing and enjoying myself with high lag.

Anyways in advance thanks for the help.

P.S. are there many Australians looking into playing duel universe, just wondering.

One Shard (not be confused with one single server) One Continuous Universe.

There won't be dedicated shards per country per say but the server tech should allow for better connection and play experience even in areas like AU. 

On 2/17/2020 at 5:17 AM, Comrademoco said:

One Shard (not be confused with one single server) One Continuous Universe.

There won't be dedicated shards per country per say but the server tech should allow for better connection and play experience even in areas like AU. 

Sorry still new to this would you please be able to answer my question above

On 2/24/2020 at 6:37 AM, zweytz said:

Sorry still new to this would you please be able to answer my question above

Edit: Maybe in the far future there will be more server connections, so that people on distant continents will have a better connection, but everyone will play in the same universe. 

12 hours ago, Underhand Aerial said:

There will be many servers (maybe one in Australian too) but everyone will play in the same universe. the servers around the world will communicate to the others servers. 

Um... no that's not how it works.

There is no technology on the planet available aside from them physically laying fiber cable directly between all of their own datacenters that would allow their server tech to be split across the planet like that, and NQ doesn't have hundreds of millions of dollars lying around for them to be able to pull that off.

As it is the servers have to be physically close together in the datacenter and be optimized as much as possible for communication speed between them. It's been described as "closer to a weather modeling supercomputer", this is high performance computing and that just doesn't give much flexibility in where those machines can be physically hosted. 

So while different storage components, databases, login queuing systems, account information, etc. might be hosted on separate machines in different datacenters, the game server itself just doesn't have the capability to allow for that. Maybe when a billion people are playing Dual Universe they'll be able to afford laying trans-Pacific fiber optics and creating some massive global-spanning supercomputer cluster, but that's just not how it works today.

20 hours ago, yamamushi said:

There is no technology on the planet available aside from them physically laying fiber cable directly between all of their own datacenters that would allow their server tech to be split across the planet like that, and NQ doesn't have hundreds of millions of dollars lying around for them to be able to pull that off.

Or we could all just move to one location and have a massive LAN party. I'll bring the snacks!

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I've seen a good few Aussies showing interest in DU.

Considering the servers have not been fully optimised for release nor for Australia I have been playing DU without any major issues. Do get the occasional waiting for server when mining but I expect that to be better once go further away from the major populated areas.

Although I am on fibre, so with anything less than fibre to the property you will suffer with latency and have more lag to deal with.

DU will be much similar to other single shard MMO games like Eve Online, I imagine they will have optimisations around auth, chat, read only replica servers closer to regions, but at the end it's always better to be closer to the mothership (main servers) than further away and us AU folks will always have it worse, not only because of our geographical location but also because of our shite internet infrastructure.

This will be more obvious when playing in PvP, where locking and damage is going to be calculated by a single server, the closer you are to that server the more of an advantage you will have.

I have had to leave a few fights in eve online, because of lag when it comes to 1k player battles and the lag I use to experience, especially the case when I wasn't on fibre internet.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:38 AM, Underhand Aerial said:

There will be many servers (maybe one in Australian too) but everyone will play in the same universe. the servers around the world will communicate to the others servers. 

Oh ok that was my the idea I had but wasn’t sure.

thanks this helps

On 2/26/2020 at 10:07 AM, Arcus25 said:

Or we could all just move to one location and have a massive LAN party. I'll bring the snacks!

Thanks for your last response and I think this would solve everyone’s issues just send out the invites no doubt it will work (:

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 9:51 PM, zweytz said:

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is any information about Australian servers coming to the game as i know from experience that playing with high lag just doesn't make for a fun in game experience. Knowing what i hope this game will become i cant imagine playing and enjoying myself with high lag.

Anyways in advance thanks for the help.

P.S. are there many Australians looking into playing duel universe, just wondering.

Yea I am. Had a quick go this morning. The game has potential. I am looking forward to it progressing further.